- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc Jayasuriya b de Silva74109838189.15c Jayasuriya b Vaas1229151080.00b de Silva4590732061.64c de Silva b Dharmasena1332250052.00st †Kaluwitharana b Muralitharan2450040.00c de Silva b Jayasuriya2243300173.33not out3658492073.46b de Silva2230066.66not out1321180072.22Extras22 (lb 10, nb 1, w 11)TOTAL241/7 (50 Overs, RR: 4.82)Fall of wickets: 1-36 (ME Waugh, ), 2-137 (MA Taylor, ), 3-152 (RT Ponting, ), 4-156 (SK Warne, ), 5-170 (SR Waugh, ), 6-202 (SG Law, ), 7-205 (IA Healy, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRrun out99710128.57c Bevan b Fleming627130046.15b Reiffel65119996165.65not out10717612413086.29not out47723741127.02Extras11 (b 1, lb 4, nb 1, w 5)TOTAL245/3 (46.2 Overs, RR: 5.28)Fall of wickets: 1-12 (ST Jayasuriya, ), 2-23 (RS Kaluwitharana, ), 3-148 (AP Gurusinha, )
- Gaddafi Stadium, Lahore
Sri Lanka , elected to field first
Sri Lanka won the 1995/96 Wills World Cup
Player of the match
Player of the series
17 March 1996 - day/night match (50-over match)
- MA Taylor 74, highest score by an Australian captain in any World Cup match.
- SK Warne, 1st player to be stumped in a World Cup final (by RS Kaluwitharana).
- Sri Lanka least wickets lost (3) in any World Cup final.
- Sri Lanka are the 1st host country to win a World Cup, and the 1st country to win a World Cup final batting second.
- Sri Lanka win their 1st World Cup after only winning a total of 4 matches in the previous 5 World Cups.