- not out41382722151.85not out18211120163.63Extras12 (lb 2, nb 1, w 9)TOTAL192/3 (20 Overs, RR: 9.60)Fall of wickets: 1-50 (DR Smith, 4.4 ov), 2-116 (BB McCullum, 12.1 ov), 3-144 (SK Raina, 15.2 ov)
- not out21050040.00not out1440025.00Extras8 (lb 3, w 5)TOTAL95/9 (20 Overs, RR: 4.75)Fall of wickets: 1-4 (V Sehwag, 0.5 ov), 2-35 (SE Marsh, 5.1 ov), 3-40 (GJ Bailey, 6.3 ov), 4-55 (DA Miller, 8.6 ov), 5-55 (M Vijay, 9.2 ov), 6-66 (AR Patel, 11.4 ov), 7-69 (MG Johnson, 12.2 ov), 8-90 (WP Saha, 17.4 ov), 9-94 (Anureet Singh, 19.1 ov)
Player Of The Match
Hours of play (local time)
- Powerplay 1: Overs 0.1 - 6.0 (Mandatory - 54 runs, 1 wicket)
- Chennai Super Kings: 50 runs in 4.3 overs (27 balls), Extras 0
- 1st Wicket: 50 runs in 27 balls (DR Smith 26, BB McCullum 24, Ex 0)
- BB McCullum: 50 off 32 balls (5 x 4, 3 x 6)
- Chennai Super Kings: 100 runs in 10.2 overs (62 balls), Extras 9
- 2nd Wicket: 50 runs in 34 balls (BB McCullum 30, SK Raina 13, Ex 9)
- Chennai Super Kings: 150 runs in 15.5 overs (95 balls), Extras 12
- Innings Break: Chennai Super Kings - 192/3 in 20.0 overs (MS Dhoni 41, RA Jadeja 18)
- Powerplay 1: Overs 0.1 - 6.0 (Mandatory - 39 runs, 2 wickets)
- Kings XI Punjab: 50 runs in 8.2 overs (50 balls), Extras 6
Plays of the day from the match between Chennai Super Kings and Kings XI Punjab in Chennai
The only five losses that were larger than Kings XI's 97-run defeat to CSK
A heaving home crowd and suffocating pressure exerted through MS Dhoni's captaincy were an all too familiar sight for a hometown boy in visitor's clothing
Brendon McCullum was at the forefront of a cavalier batting approach as Chennai Super Kings posted a total substantial enough to take them to No. 1 in the league
Chennai's margin of victory today, their biggest in an IPL game. This was also King's XI's biggest margin of loss.
Number of times Kings XI played CSK during the 2014 IPL. They won all 3 games and made a 200+ score each time.
Instances of CSK losing after batting first and posting a 180+ score, the most for any team in IPL history.
Number of times Kings XI have scored 180+ in successful chases against Super Kings, more than against any other team.
No. of consecutive 2s runs by Dhoni in the 16th over. The 4 others to do this in IPL history are Watson, Morkel, Karthik and Harris.
MS Dhoni's strike rate this IPL, his lowest for any season. His previous lowest is 127 during the 2009 season in South Africa.
Number of times Super Kings have reached 50 inside the Powerplay this IPL, more than any other team.
Number of times Mitchell Johnson has opened the bowling in six games this IPL.
Number of 50+ opening stands for Chennai this IPL, the joint-most for any team.
Number of times Chennai have beaten Punjab, the fewest times they have beaten any team that has played all 8 IPLs.