- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc Mahanama b Vaas619171035.29c †Kaluwitharana b Wickramasinghe3277555058.18c †Kaluwitharana b Wickramasinghe526510100.00not out1021611156188.69c Ranatunga b Pushpakumara4777691068.11not out43523730116.21Extras7 (lb 3, nb 2, w 2)TOTAL242/4 (50 Overs, RR: 4.84)Fall of wickets: 1-12 (ME Waugh, ), 2-28 (RT Ponting, ), 3-54 (MA Taylor, ), 4-156 (SG Law, )
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc †Healy b McGrath323180016.66c ME Waugh b Warne741116880108.82c †Healy b Reiffel1767502034.00c †Healy b Warne0115000.00lbw b Bevan4581611073.77b Warne3157412075.60run out1836241075.00not out24342410100.00not out1313820162.50Extras21 (b 1, lb 18, w 2)TOTAL246/7 (49.4 Overs, RR: 4.95)Fall of wickets: 1-35 (ST Jayasuriya, ), 2-96 (AP Gurusinha, ), 3-107 (HP Tillakaratne, ), 4-108 (RS Kaluwitharana, ), 5-180 (RS Mahanama, ), 6-196 (PA de Silva, ), 7-222 (A Ranatunga, )
- Yarra Park, Jolimont, VIC, 3002 (Phone: +61 3 9657 8867)
Australia , elected to bat first
Player of the match
16 January 1996 - day/night match (50-over match)
Sri Lanka 2, Australia 0
- In 21st over Gurusinha was hurt at cover, fielding SR Waugh's shot. Substitute fielder was Ruwan Kalpage.
- SR Waugh - 50 in 63 balls previous highest ODI score - 86 v South Africa
- Jayasuriya was dropped by McDermott the first over off his own bowling when he was at 0.
- Kaluwitharana - 50 in 31 balls