- BATSMENRB4s6sSRrun out (Gurusinha)09000.00run out (de Silva)1101385179.71c de Silva b Dharmasena16413039.02st †Kaluwitharana b Jayasuriya58991058.58run out (de Silva)181411128.57not out7400175.00not out1100100.00Extras16 (b 1, lb 3, nb 3, w 9)TOTAL226/5 (50 Overs, RR: 4.52)Fall of wickets: 1-4 (A Jadeja, ), 2-57 (SC Ganguly, ), 3-186 (M Azharuddin, ), 4-217 (SR Tendulkar, ), 5-218 (VG Kambli, )
- BATSMENRB4s6sSRnot out1201288393.75b Tendulkar53653081.53not out49764064.47Extras8 (lb 3, nb 3, w 2)TOTAL230/1 (44.2 Overs, RR: 5.18)Fall of wickets: 1-129 (RS Kaluwitharana, )
India , elected to bat first
Player Of The Match
28 August 1996 - day/night match (50-over match)
Sri Lanka 2, India 0
- Tendulkar's aggregate runs in ODIs crosses that of K.Srikkanth (4092). Tendulkar now has the second highest aggregate in ODIs for India. Only Azharuddin is ahead of him.
- Kaluwitharana missed a stumping off Tendulkar.
- Tendulkar's 9th ODI century. Equals Lara and Rameez Raja for the maximum number of ODI centuries for an active player. Only C.G.Greenidge (11), I.V.A.Richards (11) and D.L.Haynes (17) are ahead overall. G.R.Marsh also had 9 centuries.
- Jayasuriya's 3rd ODI century.