- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc Muralitharan b Zoysa12019114111285.10c †Kaluwitharana b Perera3261356091.42c †Kaluwitharana b Chandana1343390033.33c Arnold b Jayasuriya851087273118.05not out19291511126.66not out46400100.00Extras23 (b 4, lb 4, nb 6, w 9)TOTAL296/4 (50 Overs, RR: 5.92)Fall of wickets: 1-75 (S Ramesh, 12.3 ov), 2-112 (R Dravid, 22.3 ov), 3-239 (SR Tendulkar, 44.3 ov), 4-279 (SC Ganguly, 48.3 ov)
- BATSMENRMB4s6sSRc †Dravid b Singh71895381133.96c Ganguly b Kumble55160863063.95b Singh716171041.17c Chopra b Prasad62956251100.00c Prasad b Chopra513110045.45c Chopra b Kumble011000.00c Singh b Prasad19231430135.71run out (Jadeja/Srinath)4960066.66run out (Jadeja)01000-not out56410125.00not out01000-Extras19 (b 1, lb 11, nb 2, w 5)TOTAL247/9 (42 Overs, RR: 5.88)Fall of wickets: 1-105 (ST Jayasuriya, 16.3 ov), 2-119 (RS Kaluwitharana, 20.2 ov), 3-193 (MS Atapattu, 32.4 ov), 4-205 (LPC Silva, 35.6 ov), 5-205 (UDU Chandana, 36.1 ov), 6-238 (RP Arnold, 40.1 ov), 7-238 (DPMD Jayawardene, 40.2 ov), 8-238 (WPUJC Vaas, 40.4 ov), 9-243 (ASA Perera, 41.4 ov)
Sri Lanka , elected to field first
Player of the match
29 August 1999 (50-over match)
India 2, Sri Lanka 0
- SC Ganguly's 50 in 56 balls (3x4, 2x6)
- SR Tendulkar's 100 in 135 balls (7x4,2x6)
- At the start of the innings, Sri Lanka were set a target of 270 from 50 overs to reach the final on a superior net run rate
- Rain interrupted play at 2:45pm to 3:35pm with Sri Lanka on 22/0 after 5 overs. The Sri Lanka target to win was revised to 263 runs from 40 overs, with 12 overs of fielding restrictions and a maximum of 8 overs per bowler. According to clause 11.2 in the One Day International Playing Conditions this should have prevented India from qualifying for the final ("Only those matches where results were achieved and where the Duckworth/Lewis method for recalculating the target score was not utilised will count for the purpose of net run rate calculations."). However, all available evidence indicates that this rule had been ignored/forgotten and Sri Lanka needed to score 222 runs off 40 overs to qualify for the final.
- ST Jayasuriya 50 off 34 balls, 7x4, 1x6
- Further to the above comic farce, at 4:18pm (SL 71/0 off 12 overs) the match referee interrupted the match to inform the umpires that a miscalculation was made and that it should be a 42 over match. The Sri Lankan target to win was 're-revised' to 271 in 42 overs and the apparent target (pending clarification on why the ICC playing conditions were not followed) to qualify for the final calculated to be 232. No further adjustment was made to the fielding restrictions.
- MS Atapattu 50 off 79 balls, 3x4
- DMPdeS Jayawardene 50 off 48 balls, 3x4, 1x6