New Zealand in South Africa 2012-13

New Zealand's Gillespie replaces Milne for SA T20s

ESPNcricinfo staff

December 12, 2012

Comments: 1 | Text size: A | A

Mark Gillespie catches a ball during training, Wellington, March 11, 2008
Comeback man Mark Gillespie's previous T20 international was in mid-2008 © Getty Images
Enlarge
Related Links
Players/Officials: Mark Gillespie | Adam Milne

New Zealand fast bowler Adam Milne has been ruled out of the Twenty20 series against South Africa, after picking up an Achilles injury while warming-up for a first-class game on Monday. He will be replaced by Mark Gillespie, who is returning to international cricket after a nine-month injury lay-off.

Milne, 20, injured his leg while exercising just prior to his game for Central Districts against Wellington in New Zealand's domestic first-class competition, the Plunket Shield. The injury was not very serious, New Zealand Cricket's medical team said, but they didn't want risk any further damage and so decided to pull Milne out of the series.

Gillespie, who will join the squad in South Africa on Friday, last played an international match against the same opposition - the Wellington Test on South Africa's tour of New Zealand in March this year. That series also marked an international comeback for Gillespie, who had not played for New Zealand for over three years previously. He made his mark too, finishing New Zealand's top wicket-taker despite playing only two out of the three Tests, but was then ruled out with an ankle injury.

He returned to competitive cricket in October, and has 13 wickets in three first-class games for Wellington since then.

National selection manager Kim Littlejohn said South Africa should suit Gillespie: "It is disappointing for Adam to suffer an injury however it does present a great opportunity for Mark. Mark has an impressive record in South Africa and the conditions will suit his aggressive style of pace bowling."

The first T20 of the three-match series will be played in Durban on December 21.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Posted by Scoffy on (December 13, 2012, 3:52 GMT)

I find it difficult to understand how all the New Zealand players are not boycotting the South Africa series in support of Ross Taylor who is by far the best batsman NZ cricket has had since Martin Crowe. This article should be irrelevant as all the selected players should decline selection so the NZ administrators are forced into some positive action in respect to the Ross Taylor debacle.

Comments have now been closed for this article

TopTop
Email Feedback Print
Share
E-mail
Feedback
Print
Tour Results
South Africa v New Zealand at Potchefstroom - Jan 25, 2013
South Africa won by 1 wicket (with 0 balls remaining)
South Africa v New Zealand at Kimberley - Jan 22, 2013
New Zealand won by 27 runs
South Africa v New Zealand at Paarl - Jan 19, 2013
New Zealand won by 1 wicket (with 26 balls remaining)
South Africa v New Zealand at Port Elizabeth - Jan 11-14, 2013
South Africa won by an innings and 193 runs
South Africa v New Zealand at Cape Town - Jan 2-4, 2013
South Africa won by an innings and 27 runs
More results »
News | Features Last 3 days
News | Features Last 3 days