South Africa domestic news April 19, 2016

Klusener seeks arbitration over Dolphins dismissal

Lance Klusener was cut as Dolphins' coach in February, with the season still on © Gallo Images

Lance Klusener, the former Dolphins coach, is seeking arbitration over his dismissal from the franchise through South Africa's Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA). The hearing is expected to take place in two weeks' time.

The CCMA is an independent dispute resolution body, not a court of law. It looks at, among other things, unfair dismissals.

Klusener confirmed to ESPNcricinfo that he is seeking arbitration but declined to discuss the nature of his complaint. "The process is still ongoing, so I cannot say too much," he said.

Dolphins CEO Pete de Wet said, similarly, "I am unable to comment on the process or the likely outcomes."

Klusener was informed that his contract would not be renewed in February and was relieved of his duties immediately, even though the season's fixtures had not been completed. At the time de Wet said Klusener's dismissal was purely a "business decision".

Coaching duties were handed over to Yashin Ebrahim, a former Dolphins coach, and Roger Telemachus, who was previously in charge of the Kwa-Zulu Natal provincial side. Ebrahim is known to have applied for the main job. Dolphins are likely to announce their new coach at the same time as Klusener's hearing is scheduled.

The time frame makes it unlikely that Klusener will get his job back, although he remains open to that possibility. He has not had other work since he was sacked, and admitted he would still like to be part of the cricketing structures at the franchise, even as it negotiates difficult times. "I invested a lot of time and effort there," he said. "So I would be upset if things didn't work out - not just for me, but for the franchise and cricket as a whole."

Dolphins went trophy-less in the 2015-16 season, finishing fifth out of six teams in both the first-class and the one-day cup, although they reached the final of the 20-over competition. The franchise has also lost several players ahead of next season. Kyle Abbott, who is nationally contracted and can thus choose which franchise he wants to play for, has opted for Warriors, while batsmen Jonathan Vandiar and Daniel Sincuba have signed with Titans.

Firdose Moonda is ESPNcricinfo's South Africa correspondent

Comments