Kyle Abbott's long wait for 11 Tests
Kyle Abbott made his Test debut for South Africa in February 2013 and played his last match in January 2017. In those four years, because of a wealth of fast-bowling talent among other reasons, South Africa picked Abbott for only 11 Tests. Here's a list of his appearances and the gaps in between:
1. February 2013: Abbott takes 7 for 29 in the first innings against Pakistan in Centurion, and is Player of the Match on Test debut for his nine-wicket haul.
He misses the next six Tests South Africa play.
2. March 2014: Abbott's three wickets are the best returns for a South African fast bowler in the Newlands Test against Australia. His workload - 42 overs - is also the heaviest for his team.
He misses the next three Tests South Africa play.
3. December 2014: Abbott takes 1 for 61 in the match as Dale Steyn and Vernon Philander raze West Indies in Centurion.
He misses the next five Tests South Africa play.
4. November 2015: Abbott's fourth Test lasts only a day as rain ruins the match in Bangalore. He bowls six out of 22 overs in India's first innings, taking 0 for 18.
He misses the next Test of the tour of India, in Nagpur.
5. December 2015: Abbott takes 5 for 40 in 24.5 overs in India's first innings in Delhi, and 1 for 47 in 22 in the second.
He is picked for South Africa's next Test.
6. December 2015: Abbott bowls 45.4 overs in the Kingsmead Test against England and takes 2 for 128.
He misses South Africa's next two Tests in that series.
7. January 2016: Abbott returns figures of 21-9-46-0 in the Centurion Test against England, with Kagiso Radaba emerging as a force with a 13-wicket haul.
He misses South Africa's next three Tests.
8. November 2016: Abbott takes 3 for 41 and 6 for 77 in Hobart to bowl South Africa to series victory in Australia.
With Steyn injured, Abbott plays South Africa's next three Tests. It is the first time Abbott is playing successive Tests in a series.
9. November 2016: Abbott takes 3 for 49 and 1 for 26 in South Africa's first day-night Test, at Adelaide Oval.
10. December 2016: Abbott claims 3 for 63 and 2 for 38 against Sri Lanka in Port Elizabeth, conceding only 101 runs in 41.5 overs in the match.
11. January 2016: Abbott goes wicketless against Sri Lanka after bowling 23 overs in Cape Town.
It turns out to be his final Test for South Africa as he confirms he has signed a three-year Kolpak contract with English county Hampshire.