South African cricket January 6, 2004

Klusener settles his differences with the Board

The United Cricket Board of South Africa and Lance Klusener, the KwaZulu-Natal allrounder, have settled their differences, according to a joint statement issued today.

Details of the settlement are confidential, and Klusener will be contracted to the UCB from January 1, 2004 until April 2004, when the contract will be reviewed. In return, Klusener has withdrawn his action (in which he claimed he had been promised a contract but then dropped) against the UCB.

The settlement was reached after talks between Klusener and Gerald Majola, the United Cricket Board's chief executive, and Andrew Hudson, the former Test opener who is now a member of the Board's National Cricket Committee.

"Andrew has been of great assistance, and South African cricket is grateful for his input on this and other cricketing matters of national interest," said Majola. "It's wonderful to have Zulu back in the fold, and we are looking forward to more outstanding cricket from him. Lance has always been available for selection to the national team, despite the dispute, and I am sure that now that the air has been cleared, we will see the Zulu of old again."

Klusener said: "It's good that we can now all concentrate on cricketing matters again. Gerald and Andrew have assisted most positively in this process, and I am looking forward to this new era in my career."

Comments