South Africa news June 3, 2010

Ntini will be considered for selection - Hudson

Cricinfo staff
  shares

Andrew Hudson, South Africa's convener of selectors, has said Makhaya Ntini's form for Kent in the County Championship was encouraging and that he would be considered for selection along with everyone else when the squads for upcoming series are chosen. Hudson's comments came closely after Ntini expressed his disappointment at the lack of communication from the selectors since he was dropped from the South African team following a poor home series against England in 2009-10.

"There are other players that are also performing well and we have not spoken to them either," Hudson told Supercricket. "It's excellent to see how well Makhaya is doing for Kent in England. He has to keep on playing, keep himself fit and will certainly be considered when we pick the squads for the series' against Zimbabwe [in September] and Pakistan [in October].

"We will take everyone's performances into account, irrespective of how many games they have played for South Africa."

Hudson was not part of the selection group that axed Ntini following a wicketless Durban Test - his 101st - last year and took over as convener following the sacking of the Mike-Procter led panel. Since then Dale Steyn, Morne Morkel and Wayne Parnell have emerged as South Africa's first-choice fast bowlers.

Ntini, 32, had said that he was "slightly disappointed that no-one at Cricket South Africa" had told him if he was part of their future plans. He is currently in England where he has taken 24 wickets at an average of 19.75 in four games for Kent, a performance that drew praise from coach Paul Farbrace.