South Africa news

Amla moves to Cape Cobras

ESPNcricinfo staff

April 22, 2013

Hashim Amla was on 99 at stumps, Australia v South Africa, 3rd Test, 2nd day, Perth, December 1, 2012
Hashim Amla: "I am looking forward to joining a team that has as rich a tradition as Dolphins." © Getty Images
Players/Officials: Hashim Amla
Teams: South Africa

Hashim Amla, the South Africa batsman, has left his domestic franchise Dolphins to join Cape Cobras. Amla, who's played South African domestic cricket only for Durban-based Dolphins and his province KwaZulu-Natal till now, said it was a "difficult decision" to move to the Cape Town-based Cobras.

"After a great deal of consideration and detailed discussion with my family and closest confidants, I have made the decision to move to Cape Cobras with immediate effect," Amla said in a statement. "I must stress that this was a difficult decision for me.

"I have always considered myself a Durban boy and know that I will dearly miss the support of the KZN fans during the domestic games. Although I may not have played a lot of domestic cricket in recent years due to my national team commitments, it is this tremendous support of the fans at KZN that I will remember and cherish the most."

Amla's last game for Dolphins was a first-class fixture against Lions back in February 2012. He represented Dolphins 41 times and KwaZulu-Natal 19 times in first-class cricket.

"I have decided to pursue my domestic career with Cape Cobras, and I am looking forward to joining a team that has as rich a tradition as Dolphins. I'm extremely excited about the future and look forward to making many new friends and colleagues in the Western Cape, whilst enjoying the game of cricket.

"I would like to use this opportunity to personally wish the players of the Dolphins team everything of the best. Lastly, I would like to express my sincerest gratitude to Dolphins' CEO Jesse Chellan for his support and assistance. It has been a great pleasure to work with him."

Posted by TommytuckerSaffa on (April 24, 2013, 8:14 GMT)

All hail the mighty Hash

Hashim is a professional cricketer and as a professional they need to make money. Obviously the Cobras paid a truck load of cash for him but the impact on the national franchises is limited as he is mostly tied up in National duties which includes scoring loads of runs in wickets all over the world !!!

Posted by AllroundCricketFan on (April 23, 2013, 9:09 GMT)

Its obvious, Kirsten wants his star players around him. Or maybe the Mighty # wants to retire in Greenpoint with his young family.

Posted by   on (April 23, 2013, 7:05 GMT)

@Deepakrio278: O srsly? Kallis is a CT boy born n bred matey :)

Posted by peter4135 on (April 23, 2013, 5:46 GMT)

At this rate the whole Protea squad will be in the cobras team in a few months.

Posted by   on (April 22, 2013, 20:56 GMT)

Pointless exercise aimed at selling more T-Shirts. Great to have him represent us but his real value and time is to the Proteas.

Posted by Bongz77 on (April 22, 2013, 16:22 GMT)

I agree with Stormer1980 but you have to look at the bigger picture. Its about getting into the T20 champions league. Like you say, Hash will be away most of the time, but when he is available, he will most likley only play in the limmited overs format and thats where the Lions have benefitted from having the likes of Mckenzie, Peterson, De bryn and Tsolikile.

We have talented youngsters in the cape but we lack the top quality expirience when its needed most. This year we were hopeless relying on Vilas to bail us out and two seasons prior to that it was Owais Shah. Hash is guarenteed to stabalize

Posted by stormer1980 on (April 22, 2013, 12:51 GMT)

The only thing that happened here was the Dolphins receiving a fat load of money for player we will never see play ... So many youngster in the province and we signing Amla ... While he ia a great addition , it wasn't a neccessary buy... I live in Cape Town , i play against and see the talent .. but like I said .. we wont even see him playing for the cobras .. The only thing I can think off is Gary Kirsten wants his senior players close to each other ... as a core group ... As Kirsten is also from Cape Town ...

Posted by Deepakrio278 on (April 22, 2013, 12:13 GMT)

The Cape cobras are like bats sucking the best players out of every other part of the country,they took away Dale steyn and kallis and now Amla.Well looks like Klusener will just have to better his team as coach without the services of the Amla brothers.tough job ahead for him as he looks to take them to the top of the table.

Posted by djdrastic on (April 22, 2013, 12:09 GMT)

Don't think many people would notice to be honest . Kallis , Boucher and Steyn were hoping around provinces and nobody really noticed due to their strenuous schedule.

Country Fixtures Country Results
KZ-Natal v W Province at Durban
Oct 2-4, 2014 (09:00 local | 07:00 GMT | 03:00 EDT | 02:00 CDT | 00:00 PDT)
Gauteng v E. Province at Johannesburg
Oct 2-4, 2014 (10:00 local | 08:00 GMT | 04:00 EDT | 03:00 CDT | 01:00 PDT)
Griq West v KZN-Inland at Kimberley
Oct 2-4, 2014 (10:00 local | 08:00 GMT | 04:00 EDT | 03:00 CDT | 01:00 PDT)
Lions v Knights at Potchefstroom
Oct 2-5, 2014 (10:00 local | 08:00 GMT | 04:00 EDT | 03:00 CDT | 01:00 PDT)
Titans v Warriors at Benoni
Oct 2-5, 2014 (10:00 local | 08:00 GMT | 04:00 EDT | 03:00 CDT | 01:00 PDT)
Complete fixtures » | Download Fixtures »