South Africa news

Kirsten quits SA job effective August

Firdose Moonda

May 10, 2013

Graeme Smith and Gary Kirsten pose with the ICC mace, England v South Africa, 3rd Investec Test, Lord's, 5th day, August 20, 2012
Gary Kirsten and Graeme Smith led South Africa to No 1 in the Test rankings © Getty Images

Gary Kirsten's tenure in charge of South Africa will end on July 31 after he decided not to renew his contract for a further two years. Kirsten, who was appointed in 2011, cited the needs of his sons, Joshua and James and daughter, Joanna, who are all under the age of 10, as the only reason for him opting not to continue to be in charge of the team he took to No.1 on the Test rankings. His last assignment will be the Champions Trophy in England before he settles in to spend more time with his family.

"I feel I can no longer cope with the lengthy periods of separation from my family that this job demands," Kirsten admitted. "Last year, I had 250 days away from Cape Town, my home. I believe my absentia as a father is compromising my responsibilities to my family. I've just had five weeks at home now, which is the longest period I have had there for a few years and I began to realise the impact my absence as a father has had on my family."

When Kirsten took the job as South Africa coach, he made it plain to his employers, CSA, that his first priority was to his family. His contract included terms relating to the amount of time he could spend at home, even during the season and on tours, because he did not want the job to rob him of his primary role of husband and father.

At the time, he and his wife, Deborah had a policy in place about the maximum number of days they would spend apart - 21. Kirsten also assured her if the separation ever became "unbearable", he would not continue as coach. He has now decided it has reached those levels and Deborah was among the most surprised by that conclusion.

"I don't think she believed me when I said I was not going to renew," Kirsten said. "But that's how I feel about the importance of the institution of family. I don't want to be a statistic so that when my kids are grown up, they say they didn't see their dad. Right from the outset of my contract, it was a concern - how I would be able to manage the time apart. I even considered doing only one format of the game but we felt it would be unfair on many people. The last five weeks at home have made me more aware of my responsibilities."

Kirsten denied that political reasons pushed him, although there was some suspicion he was under pressure for a slow transformation rate, especially in Test cricket. Although South Africa has not had a quota system in place for several years, it was widely frowned upon that no black African played in the longest format for South Africa during Kirsten's time in charge. "No, that has nothing to do with it. I've given my reasons and those are 100%," he said.

Kirsten leaves South African cricket in a healthy state at Test level, where he had the best record of all past coaches. The team won 63% of the Tests they played and Kirsten was the only coach who took them to No. 1 in the world with victory over England. "The Test team moved to new heights," he said. "We've got an incredibly strong senior player base. They are the heartbeat of the team and they drive the values and the culture of the team, so I move away very comfortable that that is in place."

His limited-overs returns were not as striking. So far, Kirsten is the third-worst performing coach in the fifty-over game with a win percentage of only 56%. He conceded, "performances in ODIs and Twenty20s haven't been where we wanted them to be. But we've built a good base of players."

After winning the World Cup with India in 2011, Kirsten was widely thought to be the man who would help South Africa finally lift that trophy. But he said that was never part of his plans. "It was not my intention to go to the World Cup. My work is part of a process to help the players and South African cricket reach the goals they want to reach," he said, although he did have some advice for the man who takes South Africa to the 2015 event. "Going into the World Cup in two years, we don't have to shift the team around too much."

Kirsten has one more chance to achieve success in the fifty-over format with the team in a month's time. He pledged to approach the Champions Trophy with "renewed vigour," but after that family will have him around almost full-time.

Kirsten confirmed he will not seek any other employment immediately although he will not rule out contributing to South Africa in a consultancy role. "I like to think my time is not done. I don't think I will ever leave coaching but it would have to be in a way that suits my needs," he said.

CSA will appoint a committee to handle the appointment of the new coach, who will take over for the limited-overs series in Sri Lanka in July and August. Kirsten himself could be involved in the process and hinted his assistant, Russell Domingo may be best placed to take over.

"My relationship with Russell has always been a close one. He is passionate and clinical and he has done a lot of coaching. I have no doubt that he is very capable of doing high-level coaching jobs," he said. Domingo and bowling coach Allan Donald's contracts also expire at the end of July and they will only know if they will continue in their roles after the new head coach has been appointed.

Donald appears interested in continuing. He is currently coaching Pune Warriors in the IPL and told ESPNcricinfo that if it was up to him, he would stay on. "I spoke to Gary personally a couple of days ago and I respect his decision 100%," he said. "At the moment we are very focused on the Champions Trophy and I'm sure that this team needs no motivation to go and win this tournament for Gary. As far as I'm concerned, we've just got to let this whole thing take its course and, for me, there is no decision to be made about my future with the Proteas."

Firdose Moonda is ESPNcricinfo's South Africa correspondent

RSS Feeds: Firdose Moonda

Posted by   on (May 15, 2013, 9:36 GMT)

No offense but it will inspire SA to perform better. :)

Posted by   on (May 12, 2013, 6:05 GMT)

He was an excellent coach with the Indian team but he has not produced a satisfactory one day or T20 team in South Africa. he was fortunate to unherit the best test team in the world and managed to maintain that excellence. Perhaps the typical SA Cridket Board restrictions had curbed his abilities with the players' choices in the shorter versions of the game.

Posted by Apocalypsoz on (May 11, 2013, 17:06 GMT)

Gary ! keep doing what you are good at (coaching) and buying the kids nice presents and goodies.They will get bored if you are home all the time. They may turn out as ungrateful an adult as I am.

Posted by SuperSharky on (May 11, 2013, 10:24 GMT)

I reckon perfect timing. Gary knows when to retire on a high. I just wanna thank Gary Kirsten for bringing in a recipe of success to the Proteas. He laid down a perfect platform for the next coach to take over. I just hope Allan Donald stay on as bowling coach. But with Kirsten leaving and Kallis near retiring, the next coach will need to build on this platform that Gary leaves behind. I applaud another great innings by Gary Kirsten. Well done Gazza!

Posted by quittthewhinging on (May 11, 2013, 7:54 GMT)

Not Allan Donald or Eric Simons as replacement please!

Posted by India_boy on (May 11, 2013, 7:14 GMT)

What an amazing coach this guy has been. Very professional and tactical, with a clear thinking. Something that the likes of Mickey arthur and duncan fletcher can learn. He has to leave all right and none of us has the right to question his decision. One more thing Id like to add here is that he may have done wonders with SA and India, but we should remember that these were two of the top 4 teams and formidable in their own right, and needed just a little tweaking in their approach to become highly successful, which Gary provided. But to be truly labelled as one of the best coaches ever, he must take up assignments with teams that are lingering at the bottom, such as WI, SL, BD, Ire Zim etc. and bring them up, then he will be called Alex ferguson of cricket. Hope to see that someday, till then adios mate :)

Posted by Zycr9 on (May 11, 2013, 5:49 GMT)

Excellent coach.. he has toiled with indian team on the field ..his mantra is PRACTICE .. made them toil on the ground instead of giving endless lectures. he is a superb team man.. liked by all and results are there for everyone to see.. with indian team he was awesome and did the same with SA .. hats off to Gary Kirsten...other coaches who are similar to Gary are Stephen Fleming and John Wright who has done better job like Gary.. All 3 are wonderful.

Posted by djdrastic on (May 11, 2013, 5:48 GMT)

Darn bad luck . We were doing pretty well under his mentorship.Wonder who will be brave enough take over the role ? The world cup is very soon , and it's pretty much guaranteed that if we don't make the finals the coach will be terminated for sure.

Posted by venkatesh018 on (May 11, 2013, 5:18 GMT)

Sad decision for SA. But at least it has been done for the right reason. Family always comes first !

Posted by popcorn on (May 11, 2013, 5:15 GMT)

John Buchanan,coach of the Aussies, was a far better coach than Gary Kirtsen.In fact, the BEST EVER in Cricket History.

Posted by jmcilhinney on (May 11, 2013, 4:48 GMT)

@Sreejay Kadampatta Mana on (May 11, 2013, 3:48 GMT), I have to wonder whether you and many other Indian commenters have read the story. Kirsten is not resigning because he doesn't want to coach SA. He's resigning because he wants to spend more time with his family. How would returning to coaching India or not having left in the first place help him do that?

Posted by   on (May 11, 2013, 3:48 GMT)

He has resigned the Indian job saying he wants to live in SA and thats why and now what?? He should have continued with Indians then.....

Posted by landl47 on (May 11, 2013, 2:54 GMT)

A very good coach and an even better person.

Posted by Robster1 on (May 11, 2013, 0:53 GMT)

Superb coach - the Cobras would be fools not to hire him asap. And here's fervently hoping that in this day and age, yesteryear's now unnecessary quotas are finally put to bed.

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 23:59 GMT)

Good Man! Everything else is filling to ensure I meet the minimum character requirement. So what can I say. Great coach, great opening batter and very good man to put his family in the right place, i.e., First!

Posted by agupta429 on (May 10, 2013, 23:35 GMT)

One of the greatest, if not THE greatest, coach in history for the Indian team. India Salutes you!

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 23:27 GMT)

One has to really acknowledge the effort and results put in by this man - who never wanted to hog the lime light. He created wonders for India and SA and fully knows how to deal with the resources given to him by the selectors. It wont be suprprising if a few IPL teams will be making good offeres for a 2 month stinct in India for a few seasons starting next year. Pollock or Donold will be taking over and it would be a nice series when India takes on SA later this year. All the best Gary - you are simply the best!

Posted by 2nd_Slip on (May 10, 2013, 22:19 GMT)

@Bongz77 don't how quickly one can forget...remember Mickey once lead the Proteas to the #1 spot all be it for a brief 4 month period but under his mentorship the Proteas hovered at 1,2 or 3 in the test rankings and went into every ODI tournament ranked number 1 in the format which is not bad in my book and certainly better than any other coach in the international arena bar Gary. And I cant believe you mentioned Boucher!!!? Yes he is a fighter but he is one of the most conservative players we have had, so I can't see how all off a sudden he can turn into an innovative coach!! Lance Klusner hasn't impressed with the Dolphins either. Toyana and Adams are a gamble in my opinion, might work wonders but at the same time might back fire terribly.

Posted by champ1388 on (May 10, 2013, 21:51 GMT)

There starts SA's DOWNFALL

Posted by CricketChat on (May 10, 2013, 20:45 GMT)

I feel Gary was so successful as a coach first for Ind and then with SA because he was always a player's coach. He also knew how to not let the respective boards interfere with his coaching methods and philosophy. I hope, after a well deserved time with his family, he will return to coach either WI or New Zealand teams both of whom could benefit from his coaching skills and reach their earlier heights in not too distant future.

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 20:18 GMT)

All the best, Gary. I'm sure the backyard games with Joshua, James and Jenna will give you joy, and give us 3 more great South Africans. (Hopefully cricketers. :) )

Posted by ThatsJustCricket on (May 10, 2013, 19:21 GMT)

Wish him and his young family best of luck. He is a great coach and a great man. SA will miss him a lot.

Posted by Bongz77 on (May 10, 2013, 19:20 GMT)

I dont understand why any S.A fan would want Mickey Arthur back. He would only take us backwards with his conservative approach. It has to be a younger guy from the new school with fresh ideas and a new way of approaching things. If its not Geoff Toyana, Paul Adams or Lance Klusner then a recent player like Mark Boucher should be perfect for the job.

Who else knows this current crop better than he does? He is a fighter and the outmost professional...definitely in the Gary Kirsten mould.

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 19:13 GMT)

As far as taking SA to #1 goes, apart from Australia who were far ahead of the rest of the world, there was really no one top team. Countries like India, Pakistan,Sri Lanka and England were very dominant at home whereas SA was the only team that was fairly consistent in all conditions so it was obvious that once India eventually lost their #1 rank they had gotten by playing mostly at home SA would take over although England have improved quite a bitas well. I don't think SA will miss him as much as India would because SA have always been a formidable team when it comes to bilateral series, their only hurdle was winning the world cup which Kirsten couldn't fix whereas I think India certainly did benefit from having him rather than someone like Greg Chappell for example.

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 19:03 GMT)

As good a coach as Kirsten is I think people are exaggerating his influence. India became #1 in tests because they were lucky enough to have played several test series at home in a year while Australia(the only team that used to dominant in all conditions) was in a transition phase having lost some of its greats. India started to do well in that time period after the 07 world cup when Chappell left, they won a test series in England and won the inaugural T20 world cup in Australia and also nearly beat Australia in Australia in 2008 during which Kirsten took over. They didn't really have a coach during this period. He just happened to be at the right place at the right time, India started to lose badly the moment they started touring after the 2011 world cup because their aging players weren't good enough anymore, I seriously doubt if the results in England and Australia would have been any different if Kirsten was still the coach.

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 18:50 GMT)

Gary is the best players coach in the world.The Saffers will miss him alot.Come back Micky we need you.

Posted by vrn59 on (May 10, 2013, 17:09 GMT)

Very sad news! Gary Kirsten is world cricket's best coach today, and it is disheartening to see him leave so unexpectedly, although his reasons are completely understandable.

Posted by 2nd_Slip on (May 10, 2013, 16:41 GMT)

Wish Gary and his family all the best, most definitely the best cricket coach in the world at the moment. Wonder who will take over. Tough act to follow. It better be a South African though. Although Mickey Arthur never achieved much with SA in his long term, I have to say, in my opinion he would be the best choice i.e. he knows the players, has a good relationship with Smith(they are the brains responsible for plotting Aus first test series home defeat in almost 2decades and since than will all know what has happened to Aus). Geofrey Tonyana will not be a bad choice either but I feel the international stage will be a bitt challenging for him but then again Gary took India to the top without any prior international coaching experience. Or better yet give Russel Domingo a shot.

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 16:21 GMT)

Hands down the best coach..! Both his Indian & South African teams had the characterstic fighting spirit. Although I would say I am too scared to think what SA could have achieved under this man if he had continued. He not continuing at the moment is a loss for cricket but ofcourse, family comes first. Although when he does get time in a few years to make return, I wish him to return to India.

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 16:15 GMT)

oh no. there's got to be more to this than meets the eye. Let him spend a couple of months with the kids snapping at his heels all day and night and he'll be back in the dressing room looking for refuge. Or he is setting himself up to be the Sir Alex Ferguson of global cricket coaches. A truly fantastic influence with India and SA; a blue chipper. Name your price, Gary. Hamba kahle

Posted by Paul.Power on (May 10, 2013, 15:42 GMT)

Sad to see him go, he's pretty much the best coach in the world right now, and seems like a nice guy to boot. Might give some of the other sides a breather and a chance to catch up with SA though!

Aussie_prk: you can add away wins in Pakistan, Sri Lanka and South Africa to that "1 good ashes series", mind. Fletcher went off the rails after 05, certainly, but he had a big impact on English cricket before then.

Posted by Lloydster on (May 10, 2013, 15:42 GMT)

Respect his decision as his family needs a dad and husband with quality time. Being on the road for the past half dozen years has been rewarding for us and India so now its family time. Big hi5 to Gazza for his valuable time.

Posted by Bongz77 on (May 10, 2013, 15:39 GMT)

Aboslutely gutted, lost for words. As Suresh Kumar has already said, this guy is the Mourinho of cricket. Had no doubt he would have led S.A to a world cup victory.

As for his successor, it has to be the Lions man Geoffrey Toyana. Of the next generation of coaches/managers, he and Paul Adams seem to be leading the pack. It has to be one of the two, but considering how he gets the best out of youngsters like De Kock and Bavuma, oldies like Alviro and Mackenzie aswell as the relatively unknowns like Chris Morris and Viljoen. It has to be Toyana, the last thing i want to see is another has been like Fletcher who will take us backwards. Otherwise i would like to see us go completely left field and throw in an ex player

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 15:25 GMT)

Leaving before 2015 WC, big disappointment.. could have been the 2nd coach after

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 15:17 GMT)

Gary is the best coach in the world he made india no. one in test ranking and even made india for getting the Cricket WC13 and later he made SA no.1 in test ranking ............he should stay on with SA

Posted by Oz_boz on (May 10, 2013, 14:56 GMT)

Great player and even greater coach. He proved he isn't a flash in the pan like Duncan Fletcher (1 good ashes series) by first taking India to #1 test status, then making India win the world cup, followed by SA becoming #1 test team.. Absolutely fantastic record...

I am guessing he's coming into the IPL next year (Pune or Delhi would benefit the most) so he can make twice the amount of money he does from SA contract by working 2 months a year leaving him 10 months with his family :)

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 14:48 GMT)

Soon we would see him in IPL. I guess so.

Posted by latecut_04 on (May 10, 2013, 14:26 GMT)

This is definitely a shocker!!!Definitely he has coached SA to great heights.BUT one would have thought he would have continued/was appointed keeping in mind 2015 WC as well.Silverware is the only thing and really SOMETHING which is missing in SA showcase.Under Gary we have not seen SA choking much and the perception (at least in India) was that his ultimate aim was to help SA win the WC.will anyone be surprised if SA fail to lift the cup in 2015 despite having the best team(yet again). That too the tournament is played down under where you have to be mentally TOUGH to deliver.Will his replacement be able to settle down an xi before the WC(less than 2 years away..which i dont think is by any means enough)

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 14:03 GMT)

Gary means G-Great A-Attitude R- Remembrance Y-Youth Kirsten means K-King I-Intelligent R-Resourceful S-Simple T-Thoughts E-Everything N-Never Give Up. The man of simple living & great thoughts.Non-controversial Coach.Kudos to GARY. Happy family love & life with family. Love means Life is full of visitors & enjoyment.Life means Love in family environment. Best of luck GARY for you 2nd Innings.

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 13:35 GMT)

GET HIM BACK AS INDIAN TEAM COACH. Offer him 10x of what his present contract gives, for sure BCCI can afford that. Do whatever it takes but get him back as he is the only one who can save Indian Cricket. (Wishfull thinking)

Posted by bumsonseats on (May 10, 2013, 13:35 GMT)

could he not have done what england did with flowers just test matches.he must have known what the job entails. just a thought

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 13:26 GMT)

Gary is in my humble opinion is the Jose mourinho of cricket :), all the best for your future endeavors gary, and thanks for the memories.

Posted by VKPune on (May 10, 2013, 13:03 GMT)

Good Luck Gary. Hope to see you in IPL again

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 12:43 GMT)

Is there is any other team in the world which is as unlucky as South Africa ?

Posted by littleme on (May 10, 2013, 12:40 GMT)

Great Coach .. Hope he will be linked with CSA in any other which will definitely help Saffas a load truck.. Hats off to you Gary !! You showed the whole wrold how to coach a Cricket team

Posted by Stateside_Steve on (May 10, 2013, 12:28 GMT)

Understandable decision considering that he has a young family. Being coach of a national side is a thankless 24/7 job. It is phenomenal Kirsten has enjoyed such a long successful run at this level with two different high profile jobs. His best bet would be to coach an IPL franchise for a couple of months a year and spend the rest with his young family. Expect a bidding war for his services in IPL next year.

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 12:19 GMT)

Come back to India.we are waiting for you .SA you take our coach Duncan :-)

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 12:17 GMT)

He scored a hundred against every Test playing nation - is he now trying to coach all of them as well? LOL. Gazza - put your feet up and enjoy family life. Bouch is correct - FAMILY FIRST. All the best for your future.

Posted by Jester01 on (May 10, 2013, 12:16 GMT)

Best wishes to Gary... Kinda left the job half done - would have loved a WC trophy. I hope Russel Domingo now takes full control and maybe we can get Richard Pybus as his assistant.

Posted by xrocks on (May 10, 2013, 12:03 GMT)

Gary was the best coach India has ever had.To put it straight he is the Jose Mourinho of Cricket:)

Posted by mukul_rawal on (May 10, 2013, 12:01 GMT)

Great Chance for India to get him back!!!

Posted by DeckChairand6pack on (May 10, 2013, 12:00 GMT)

Love that picture! Graeme and Gary with our Mace at Lords!

Posted by ZCFOutkast on (May 10, 2013, 12:00 GMT)

Thank you for the short stint Gary. But for Amla & Big Vern's unbelievable exploits, I would've credited you for the fine 2012 season. Still you did well for India during their predictably impressive home run, and swansong for their batting greats. That should hold you in good stead. You, Hudson & GS were responsible for the botched selections involving Tsotsobe(Aus)&Thami(NZ), so I'm not too disappointed by your stepping aside.

As next in line, Domingo will probably expect to be installed as the Test Coach, if not, then whoever comes in for the big job, the ODI&T20 coach role should belong to Geoffrey Toyana as heir apparent to the big job.

Posted by DeckChairand6pack on (May 10, 2013, 11:58 GMT)

Well done Gary, time with a young family is fleeting so it is understandable for you to want to make the most of it. You'll leave Protea's cricket in great shape, and we need to make sure our success is never too dependant on one person if we are to create a legacy.

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 11:57 GMT)

Great Disappointment . He should have extended his contract till 2015 WC . Influence of IPL leads to such decisions from top players and coached ... Hope SA can move on from here to lift a Major Trophy Soon . Surely SA will miss u Garry .

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 11:55 GMT)

Good bye Gary What a coach Now, SA dont need a big name coach to replace him Somebody to just about cruise this top class team is good enough There is so much talent down the line Such strong work ethic and such great commitment SA is the best cricketing country in the world by a long shot in any format No prima donnas, no big stars, just great players Way to go SA

Posted by YogifromNY on (May 10, 2013, 11:52 GMT)

As a fan of Indian cricket, I doff my hat in reverence to Gary Kirsten. Fantastic coach, and super human being. I hope he will be actively involved in future in different ways. Hopefully in India! The Indians love this man and would love him back! :-)

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 11:51 GMT)

Chandika hathurusingha who is coaching canada at the moment is one of the probable coaches CRICKET SA is strongly considering.he will be the ideal choice.

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 11:47 GMT)

Why dont they take Duncan??

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 11:45 GMT)

India won the world cup when Gary Kirsten was coach of Indian team. I Hope he consider coming back to India..... in my opinion he is one of the best coach in the whole wide world....Because of the team's results under his Coaching. Best wishes with Mr. Gary Kirsten and his Family.

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 11:39 GMT)

Gary Kirsten is the best coach..

Posted by srikanths on (May 10, 2013, 11:37 GMT)

Good and capable manager with good people management skills . He possibly owes his success to making the dressing room a happy place at the same time demanding good performances , good work ethics and of course some amount of luck.

Posted by Smahuta on (May 10, 2013, 11:32 GMT)

Big blow for SA this. He is the best coach in world cricket by a country mile, no doubt about it. At least whoever takes over is taking the reins of the best team in the world, and thats a good place to start off.

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 11:14 GMT)

Come back to INDIA:)

All the best for rest of your carrier.

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 11:13 GMT)

Tough luck SA for a while... Its always darkest after Kirsten leaves :-D

Posted by anver777 on (May 10, 2013, 11:12 GMT)

Earlier GK made Ind on top & now he makes SA on top before quitting the job..... A job very well done & my best wishes for future !!!!

Posted by SurlyCynic on (May 10, 2013, 11:08 GMT)

I'm shocked by this, shocked. I thought the SA job gave him enough time with his family since he gave up the T20 role. I dread to think who we'll have next. There is a new wave of young coaches like Toyana, Klusener and Adams but all of them need at least 2-3 more years at provincial level.

Domingo is unproven too. Simons and Donald are having nightmares in the IPL and Arthur is busy annoying the Aussies. Interesting times. Maybe we should 'do an England' and poach Andy Flower!

Posted by Dale_Pain on (May 10, 2013, 11:08 GMT)

Geoffrey Toyana is a possiible replacement. Difficult act to follow!!

Posted by kushaman on (May 10, 2013, 11:07 GMT)

Kirsten what a champion be it as a player or as a Coach.... I true heart fan of SA really think u shud be there till the World Cups so that SA can have one in their bag... U took the team SA (India too) to the great heights... Best wishes to you and ur families.. Hope the last assignment bring pride to u and SA... Hope u return as a great coach again in my SA team...

Posted by CricketMaan on (May 10, 2013, 11:01 GMT)

John Wright as possible successor. He did wonders with India, and now enjoying his stint with Mumbai Indians.

Posted by Shaikhzaid on (May 10, 2013, 11:01 GMT)

Come to Indian team Gary

Posted by jmcilhinney on (May 10, 2013, 11:00 GMT)

That's potentially a devastating blow for SA. Kirsten is clearly an excellent coach and, while they have some quality players regardless, it seems that Kirsten was the ingredient that took SA over the hump and made them a champion team. They'll hope that his influence remains but India's example after he left doesn't offer promise.

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 11:00 GMT)

Well done Gary! But still CSA needs your support to get no 1 spot in ODI too.

Posted by vamsisidda on (May 10, 2013, 10:57 GMT)

Though there is time, I believe South Africa can look for the services for Stephen Fleming. I find his tactics very similar to that of Gary and just like Gary he is not far from the modern day cricket that is in place of now. Fleming always had the knack getting the best out what he has got as a team, and now he will have the best test team in place to take it forward.

Posted by S_K_Bijarniya on (May 10, 2013, 10:55 GMT)

can we (indians) Bring Him Back to India.!!!!! World cup with India was his last assignment as India coach and Ind won the Cup.. May be SA will win Champions Trophy..... as far as IPL is concerned, I can bet you that IPL team Mumbai Indians will try hard to make him their coach for IPL 7..!!

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 10:53 GMT)

Gary fulfilled his obligations, let him do what's good for him and his family. I wish him the best of luck

Posted by SaluteSachin_MSD on (May 10, 2013, 10:43 GMT)

Kirsten will be Back to India Coaching Some an IPL Team...

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 10:42 GMT)

More blockbusting news! Kirsten goes, how long do Kallis and Smith have left in them? Its all down hill from the top of the mountain.

Posted by shaleen_gaur on (May 10, 2013, 10:39 GMT)

Now even coaches will go freelancing. By not being fully contracted for whole year with any national team, they have chance to make big quick bucks by coaching IPL/other T20 leagues and still get enough time to spend more time with family.

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 10:36 GMT)

Well Done Gary. You have taken both the teams you coached to No. 1 in Tests. Come back as coach of India.

Posted by VJGS on (May 10, 2013, 10:34 GMT)

Isn't that the exact same reason he gave to BCCI after India won the WC in 2011?

Posted by AhmadRyan on (May 10, 2013, 10:34 GMT)

Oh come on Gary, don't do this. Why do you keep leaving the job after you had done a marvelous job? Didn't bother to renew the contract with BCCI after India has won the World Cup, and now after SA are the number one ranked team in the test cricket you are quitting it. Both the times for the family reasons! We all know how much you have done for cricket and your country, but can't you continue for two more years, please!!!

Posted by Deepak_Mallak on (May 10, 2013, 10:33 GMT)

I think Gary should continue as a SA coach, in order to make their dream of winning a world cup, a reality. They got everything in place and if Gary can inspire them then they are the hot contenders for the world cup.

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 10:28 GMT)

India would like to have him back in the fold at the helm!

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 10:26 GMT)

expect him to join IPL....just like waqar younis did ...like players even coaches feel its more lucrative and a less stressful affair to join IPL

Posted by IndiaNeedsBowlers on (May 10, 2013, 10:21 GMT)

Oooh. How long will SA manage to be No.1 now. After he left India, India has fallen to 5th.

Posted by Sports4Youth on (May 10, 2013, 10:21 GMT)

Now what is wrong Gary? Now you are in your own country, at home, closest to family.

Posted by Kush58 on (May 10, 2013, 10:20 GMT)

Noooooooo. Gary Kirsten !!! At least stay till the next World Cup.

Posted by   on (May 10, 2013, 10:19 GMT)

Sad day for SA cricket !!!!

Posted by Romenevans on (May 10, 2013, 10:19 GMT)

Sad for SA. I hope they won't start choking again without Gary.

Posted by CricketMaan on (May 10, 2013, 10:19 GMT)

Arthur licking his lips!!!! Gary simply knows when to call it a day!! He left Indian team as No.1 in Tests, WC winners..He leaves SA as undisputed No.1 in Tests, though thier ODI record is not there to boast! Well done Gary

Firdose MoondaClose
Country Fixtures Country Results
Australia A v Sth Africa A at Darwin
Jul 24, 2014 (10:00 local | 00:30 GMT | 20:30 EDT | 19:30 CDT | 17:30 PDT)
2nd Test: Sri Lanka v South Africa at Colombo (SSC)
Jul 24-28, 2014 (10:00 local | 04:30 GMT | 00:30 EDT | 23:30 CDT | 21:30 PDT)
India A v Sth Africa A at Darwin
Jul 26, 2014 (10:00 local | 00:30 GMT | 20:30 EDT | 19:30 CDT | 17:30 PDT)
Australia A v Sth Africa A at Darwin
Jul 29, 2014 (10:00 local | 00:30 GMT | 20:30 EDT | 19:30 CDT | 17:30 PDT)
NPS v Sth Africa A at Darwin
Jul 31, 2014 (10:00 local | 00:30 GMT | 20:30 EDT | 19:30 CDT | 17:30 PDT)
Complete fixtures » | Download Fixtures »