South Africa news February 17, 2014

SA call-up better than IPL contract - Hendricks

Beuran Hendricks, the Cobras left-arm seamer, has called his selection to South Africa's Twenty20 squad as "better than an IPL contract." Hendricks received his maiden call-up to the national side in that will play three matches against Australia next month and travel to the World T20 in Bangladesh and his excitement knew no bounds.

"I have been dreaming of playing for South Africa since I was nine years old, it's even more special because it's a World Cup year and I will cherish this forever," he said. It's been a busy month for Hendricks, who also secured a deal with the Kings XI Punjab. But he said putting on the green and gold trumps that. "It's even better than an IPL contract. I have been waiting for this since I started playing cricket."

Hendricks was picked on the back of an impressive domestic T20 campaign in which he claimed 28 scalps at an average of 10.28 to lead the wicket-taking charts. His hangman qualities were at their best at the death, an area South Africa have struggled in in the recent past.

Having played in the South African set-up for the first time last year, Hendricks is surprised by how quickly he has risen. "Sometimes when I look back at the 28 wickets I got, I ask myself how on earth I managed to get there," he said. "I think it was important to keep it simple and to keep calm."

But he has had guidance from a suitable source. Charl Langeveldt, who was also known for his ability to tie an end up and burgle wickets as a result, has helped Hendricks hone his trade. "I worked with Charl on my sills, adapting to pressure and sticking to the basics."

Hendricks also has the expertise of Vincent Barnes, former South Africa bowling coach and current High Performance Coach, to thank for his swift rise. "Vincent and Charl have been always been there for me. They have always tried to make sure I am on top of my game."

Hendricks will be the third left-arm seamer in South Africa's T20 squad, joining Wayne Parnell and Lonwabo Tsotsobe.

Firdose Moonda is ESPNcricinfo's South Africa correspondent

• on February 18, 2014, 15:02 GMT

@ Cpt.Meanster:

2 years ago Tsotsobe was the #1 ranked ODI bowler in the world and is currently 7th, hardly cannon fodder.

• Andre117 on February 18, 2014, 8:09 GMT

Why is it that people want to turn everyone into an all-rounder? He's a specialist bowler and he should spend most of his time working on his bowling. Vern's batting has improved but his bowling is suffering. I would rather have a player who averages 20 with the ball and 5 with the bat than someone who averages 30 with the ball and 20 with the bat. You win more games by taking 20 wickets than making big scores.

• on February 18, 2014, 7:12 GMT

Well done Beuran. I hope this is the start of great things for you. Dont forget to work on your batting. You dont want to miss selection based on this.

Now will he be selected in the starting 11?

I hope so...please select on form and not reputation.

• vish2020 on February 18, 2014, 5:01 GMT

Headline is out to put IPL down. Of course playing for country should be better.

• SHER-A-PANJAB on February 18, 2014, 4:51 GMT

Thank GOD ,he deserve this call ,but I am 100 and 101% sure Smith will not give him chance to play. .because smith never showed confidence in young talent ...poor Smith sank the whole South African cricket performance . They should drop M.Morkell and call Kyle Abbott too with Hendricks .....good luck

• Cpt.Meanster on February 18, 2014, 4:43 GMT

Domestic cricket is not like international cricket as he will soon find out. Outside of SA, he will be canon fodder as Tsotsobe found out. Another played hyped up by the Saffers. Remember guys like Parnell and Levi ? One step at a time boy.

• on February 17, 2014, 20:35 GMT

This kid is special. Should be in the Test squad with Kyle Abbott

• creebo777 on February 17, 2014, 20:32 GMT

I think kings ix lol he should be ahead of lonwabo tsotsobi

• Vaughanographic on February 17, 2014, 19:02 GMT

Best of luck to the guy. On stats alone he deserves to be there and in the test team. Time to drop Tstosobe in the 20/20 lineup

• on February 17, 2014, 18:40 GMT

he was picked by mumbai or kings XI?!

• on February 18, 2014, 15:02 GMT

@ Cpt.Meanster:

• Andre117 on February 18, 2014, 8:09 GMT

• on February 18, 2014, 7:12 GMT

Now will he be selected in the starting 11?

I hope so...please select on form and not reputation.

• vish2020 on February 18, 2014, 5:01 GMT

• SHER-A-PANJAB on February 18, 2014, 4:51 GMT

• Cpt.Meanster on February 18, 2014, 4:43 GMT

• on February 17, 2014, 20:35 GMT

This kid is special. Should be in the Test squad with Kyle Abbott

• creebo777 on February 17, 2014, 20:32 GMT

I think kings ix lol he should be ahead of lonwabo tsotsobi

• Vaughanographic on February 17, 2014, 19:02 GMT

• on February 17, 2014, 18:40 GMT

he was picked by mumbai or kings XI?!

• No featured comments at the moment.

• on February 17, 2014, 18:40 GMT

he was picked by mumbai or kings XI?!

• Vaughanographic on February 17, 2014, 19:02 GMT

• creebo777 on February 17, 2014, 20:32 GMT

I think kings ix lol he should be ahead of lonwabo tsotsobi

• on February 17, 2014, 20:35 GMT

This kid is special. Should be in the Test squad with Kyle Abbott

• Cpt.Meanster on February 18, 2014, 4:43 GMT

• SHER-A-PANJAB on February 18, 2014, 4:51 GMT

• vish2020 on February 18, 2014, 5:01 GMT

• on February 18, 2014, 7:12 GMT

Now will he be selected in the starting 11?

I hope so...please select on form and not reputation.

• Andre117 on February 18, 2014, 8:09 GMT