Australia news

Nielsen stands down as Australia's coach

Daniel Brettig and Brydon Coverdale

September 20, 2011

Tim Nielsen at Australia's training camp at the Centre of Excellence, Brisbane, July 4, 2011
Tim Nielsen has coached Australia since 2007 © Getty Images

Tim Nielsen has stood down as Australia's coach after helping the side to a series victory in Sri Lanka. Nielsen, who took over from John Buchanan in 2007, made the announcement after Australia played out a draw in the final Test at the SSC in Colombo, saying he accepted it was time to go as part of the fall-out from last summer's 3-1 Ashes defeat.

His decision means Australia will have an interim head coach - possibly one of the assistants, Justin Langer or Steve Rixon - for their upcoming tour of South Africa. Nielsen faced the prospect of having to reapply for the job as head coach after the Argus review recommended a more wide-ranging brief for the team's mentor.

Nielsen said the past month since the release of the review had been exceptionally taxing, and felt hurt that he was asked to re-apply for the job given how closely CA had seen him work over the past four years.

"It has been a tough month," Nielsen said. "I feel as though through something totally independent and external to what I do, I feel as though my role has been changed and my job has been spilt to other applicants. I understand that, I can understand where they're coming from, we are trying to improve our sport.

"The only thing I'm a little disappointed in is that my role as Australian cricket coach doesn't just cover Test match cricket. We've maintained our No. 1 ranking in one day cricket over the last four years while I've been here, we've improved our T20 cricket and made some dramatic changes there to play in the last World Cup final. I feel as though we're on the right track.

"All of this has been brought to a head by the fact we played a very good cricket side in England last year and they outplayed us and beat us, and that happens sometimes. For 15 years before it was Australia doing it to other teams, and they had to lick their wounds. Now we've had a look at how we're going to improve and move forward, and the result is this.

"I feel as though whoever is given the opportunity is going to get a group of players who are in form, who have had some success, and I hope by it happening now, the place is in a better position than it was, maybe three or four months ago when it all happened."

Criticism of Australia's coaching process seemed to reflect directly on Nielsen, though this was fervently denied by CA after the review was released. Nielsen also noted that many of the recommended changes to the structure were those that he had pushed for himself as coach.

"There's that personal side to it, no doubt. That's the hard part, and that has played a little bit of a part in my thinking," Nielsen said. "I feel like I'm doing an interview for the job every day for the last four years. Because they've changed some structural things, and things I can honestly say I've been talking about and championing for a while.

"I would've appreciated an opportunity to work in the new system and the new role moving forward, but when you get beaten like we did by England, a very good cricket side, there is always fall-out, and we had to make some changes, and they've done that. I don't hold any grudges about that, but I also would've backed myself to do the job, given the opportunity. Because of those things it is just the right time I believe."

The new position will be a more senior role, and will involve setting the direction of all coaching at elite levels within Australia. Nielsen, 43, has decided not to put himself forward for the new job, despite Cricket Australia's chief executive James Sutherland saying less than a fortnight ago that he hoped Nielsen would be "a front-line applicant".

"Tim has been national coach during a period in which we have had a long list of great champions leave the game and has been a strong support for new players coming into the side over that period," Sutherland said. "I was delighted when he agreed to renew his contract last year and had encouraged him to apply for the new, expanded and redesigned head coach role that the CA board approved last month after the tabling of the Australian Team Performance Review.

"However, I have spoken to Tim and understand and respect his decision to now begin a new chapter in his professional life. He has contributed greatly to Australian international cricket in roles as assistant national coach, head coach at the Centre of Excellence and during four years as national coach. We all wish him well in the future."

Nielsen, a former South Australia wicketkeeper, took on the head coach role after spending three years as an assistant with the national team under Buchanan, and then becoming head coach at the Centre of Excellence. He guided Australia through 15 Test series, nine of which the team won.

He now intends to move into another, yet to be announced cricket role, though it will not be with CA.

"I'm a cricket coach, I'm a cricket person," Nielsen said. "I wasn't good enough to play cricket for Australia so I've been living the dream as players talk about, as coaches talk about, this has been the greatest job I could do and I'm very proud of the fact I've been able to do it for four years, which I feel is a long time in international sport. I certainly will be looking at other opportunities and considering anything that's out there to use my skills and maintain contact with the sport I love.

"We've had some tremendous times, some really positive wins as a group, and we've had some tough times. That's the nature of international sport, that's the nature of what I do. It's basically got to a stage where we've sat down as a family and said are we willing to put ourselves in these positions, are we willing to put ourselves under this sort of pressure.

"In the end I thought it was best for myself and for the team that I move on now to give whoever takes over the role to start in a really positive environment, which I believe we've set up over the past two to three months and been displayed here over the past six or seven weeks."

Daniel Brettig is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: Daniel Brettig

Posted by RightArmEverything on (September 23, 2011, 14:59 GMT)

Can only suggest that everyone reads Katandthat3's posts cos he makes sense.

Posted by hyclass on (September 23, 2011, 13:11 GMT)

A particularly emotional individual is using the pretence of a positive cricket arguement,to veil an increasingly personal tirade,reflecting only his own character.To be the best,one doesnt look for the lowest mark to beat and then,barely doing so,self congratulate.One benchmarks against the best and pursues it relentlessly.How would this teams performance compare to that which was flayed by England,the world no.1,earlier this year? If the results would not stand this comparison,then they have little of value to offer. If the point of this tour was to flay the worlds weakest attack on the worlds flattest wickets in two Tests,without result,then that was achieved.If the mission was for SL and Australia to win 4 international matches each,then that was achieved.If the objective was to luck in on a minefield wicket,right again.If this team was pitted against England now,theres no evidence to suggest it has progressed in an measurable fashion.The tour brought more questions than answers

Posted by katandthat3 on (September 22, 2011, 21:56 GMT)

I'll also add that Australia won both the ODI series and Test series so that to me is a good tour. By all accounts South Africa at home should be strong favourites but I like the way Australia have played. Galle might have been the only result but Australia would have won the 2nd test with the amount of time lost, there was nothing wrong with the pitch there I believe. Some of the negativity of the team and players is misguided to the extreme, excuses to suit whatever cause they're pushing. This tour was successful in many ways, there is progress and still a lot to be done in the next 12 months. The SA tour will be our hardest test and very tough from start to finish, it'll be exciting though, no matter what happens there it will set us up well for our home summer. The changes off the field have reason to make me more positive too. Keep it going boys.

Posted by katandthat3 on (September 22, 2011, 20:33 GMT)

Interesting to see what happens with the Redbacks now. No emotion in it, I see Marsh's test series as averaging 80+ and Hughes considerably less, it's black and white, all these other theories don't deal in facts which I've seen a lot of lately from the one bloke who is obviously disappointed in their own failings as a cricketer. Marsh made the most of his opportunites some others didn't, that's cricket. Don't why it's made out to be harder than it is. Marsh is here to stay for a while so deal with it. Stats can be used anyway to shape an arguement. There is no doubting Hughes's excellent 1st class stats and that's why he'll be given a decent amount of opportunities because he's made big scores but no-one looks at tour stats, some of these cases put forward get funnier each time, I'll stand by my comments and a lot of people have made other comments similar, delusional and as see through as glass.

Posted by bumsonseats on (September 22, 2011, 13:00 GMT)

big tom the guy who should have been given it years ago before he went to SL. does he want it now maybe not. but he was the guy to go 2 before the last 2 got the job. he may have felt the guys he would have coached then, were team mates of his. but thats not the case now. as i said big toms your man. dpk

Posted by RightArmEverything on (September 22, 2011, 12:24 GMT)

@katandthat3, totally agree with you on all points.

Posted by hyclass on (September 22, 2011, 11:02 GMT)

Factual information is threatening to emotive people,who stoop to personal attacks to conceal shortcomings in their arguements.Hughes had a better tour average than Marsh,46 to 41.Hughes was better than Marsh in 2 of the 3 games they played together.Marsh didnt play at Galle.The only result in the series was at Galle,on a 'lottery'pitch,sanctioned by the ICC in a Test,deemed to have its outcome,influenced by the toss.In real world terms,the Australian team has not advanced and the bowling is,if anything,weaker,than during the Ashes.The SL attack is even less prolific than the next best,in Zimbabwe.2 of the 3 Test pitches were cricitcised by bloggers for being roads,a reputation earned over a number of series.Outside his 5/34 on a gift wicket at Galle,Lyon has 5/379 on tour at 75 and 17/899 in his career at 52.88.This so-called,'short'tour,lasted 6 weeks from the 6th August and included: 2 X T20I, 5 x ODI, 1 X tour match and 3 Tests. 11 matches.Argus was convened to stamp out mediocrity

Posted by katandthat3 on (September 22, 2011, 4:56 GMT)

Glad this broom is going through, Tim failed to realise in his assessment of our ranking as No1 in the ODI's was tempered by the meek demise in the World Cup. There are some good candidates around in the coaching ranks, we're lucky we have some really good coaches out there especially the head coaches of each state and a few assistants. Just providing everyone involved in the top set up is on the same page. With the review there is a bigger chance of that. Great series win by the Aussie boys, everyone knows it'll be a big test in SA. Hauritz, O'Keefe, Cummins, Bollinger and Paine will be putting the heat on to. I think Cummins is good enough now if he's fit. Happy for Marsh, Copeland and Lyon who did well in their debut series and for guys like Hughes and Clarke to find some much needed runs. Huss was amazing. Anyone who uses tour stats for such a short tour like this one instead of the raw test stats is delusional and clutching at straws.

Posted by RightArmEverything on (September 22, 2011, 3:53 GMT)

@hyclass, I'm not arguing against you on those points re the Argus review, the pitch, the SL bowling attack, that O'Keefe has a better record than Lyon (sure maybe O'Keefe is a bit stiff based on his record compared to other spinners) etc no disagreement from me that those things are all factual. I just oppose your willingness to use those things to detract from players' good performances as if you've played 100 tests yourself, particularly those only a couple of tests new to the team, and your blatant negativity.

Posted by hyclass on (September 22, 2011, 3:16 GMT)

@Wozza-CY...I agree with all your choices,other than Tubby,who was carried as a batsman for most of his last 9 years and who is a CA Establishment man to the core. As convincing as he is when speaking publicly, there are holes in his record that go to the heart of character. In my estimation, Rod Marsh has the substance,record and character to re-establish Australias credentials. In Micheal Clarke, he has the captain he needs. As a lapsed champion once said,I once thought that practice made perfect.Ive since learned that its perfect practice that makes perfect.'That former champion was greg Chappell,

Posted by Wozza-CY on (September 22, 2011, 0:13 GMT)

Like meety, at time of Rixons appointment, I felt he had to be the most over qualified 'fielding coach' in the world. Reading between the lines you'd have to say Rixon would take over this role permanently. It would be nice if D'Costas work with batting was recognised within CA. His stable looks pretty good with Hughes, Clarke & Khwaja so that will do me. Langer can focus on fielding & with McDermott as bowling coach that looks good. S.Waugh for selector with R.Marsh as head selector & Tubby to be the GM (or whatever they're calling it).

Posted by hyclass on (September 21, 2011, 23:29 GMT)

@RightArmEverything...My views on Marsh,Lyon,Hughes,the performance of CA,Nielsen,the selectors and the value of the results on this tour,are not unique.A great many of them are supported by Argus and the ICCs views on the 1st Test pitch.The SL attack is currently the worlds weakest.Two pitches were flat.One dynamite.Players careers can be researched.There are at least two articles on Cricinfo,in which players discuss the role of the toss in the result and in which the ICC concludes,that the toss should not determine the outcome of the match.The match was a lottery and Lyon the beneficiary.As @HatsForBats has pointed out,by day 3,it was playing better.Hence,Lyons lack of 2nd innings impact. Lyon has 5 for 379 on tour,outside Galle 1st innings.He has no supporting career statistics at all,only a vague idea that he is young and bowls with loop.I absolutely advocate dropping him for O'Keefe,who does have a supporting record.Marshes tour numbers are 328 runs at 41.Hughes-278 runs at 46.

Posted by   on (September 21, 2011, 13:39 GMT)

@RightArmEverything: im excited too, i think Copeland keeps the run rate under 4 an over, Lyon has good potential and could learn alot being around the Australian team. harris is a great bowler but i always knew he would break down so siddle was always coming back and having watson as a bowler too make a good attack, i know johnson is wayward at the moment but he brings something different to the table and on his day he is unplayable.but i know the future look good for australia and believe me when i say this but i bet warner to be in the test team this yeat as opener, watson at 4 or 5, his bowling is just as important as his batting.

Nielsen should have at least tried to re-apply, when he trains with the fella he actually get on the field and keeps, rixon would be good choice but i was guessing justin langer would have got the job since he is there as a batting coach.

Posted by Ahsan_Shere on (September 21, 2011, 11:25 GMT)

Actually it was decided after the WC loss in QFs, so better say he quit after WC loss & not after series win.

Posted by cmonaussiecmon on (September 21, 2011, 11:11 GMT)

Great work, Tim. Now that you've retired, make Langer head coach, and Ponting batting coach.

Posted by RightArmEverything on (September 21, 2011, 10:33 GMT)

@Hyclass, you've gone to extreme lengths to explain your 'gift' there. Re Lyon, so he had a blinder of a debut but his last two tests weren't great, do you suggest they drop him? Marsh brilliant 'within limitations'? I'm tired of hearing you use the flat pitch and Sri Lanka's weak attack to downplay his efforts which outshone everyone except Hussey. You are a glass half empty guy with everyone but Hughes, because of course his sub-par performances before his ton were obviously all Nielsen's fault, weren't they?? My glass is half full and I'm excited to see how the Australian team will develop over the next couple of years.

Posted by azzaman333 on (September 21, 2011, 10:20 GMT)

All I can say is, it's about time.

Posted by   on (September 21, 2011, 10:08 GMT)

typical supporters attitude, just like to retain the fact that "you know who" has the highest batting average . australia had a different team to what they had the last time they won. that was 2.5 years ago. alot has changed, including a 3-1 win by england. ponting has only scored over 50 once in the SL series, lets see how he faces DW steyn et al!

Posted by HatsforBats on (September 21, 2011, 10:06 GMT)

@Hyclass: I assume you didn't watched the games live, as I did. The pitch in Galle became easier to bat on in the 4th innings, the toss did not decide that game. SL were outplayed in the series, but the scoreline doesn't reflect that.

Posted by TeamRocker on (September 21, 2011, 9:36 GMT)

@Dismayed-I'm dismayed at your comments! Punter brings in a lot of experience(and quite a few runs) and Pup captains well, and seems to be finding good form. By no account should either be dropped yet.

Posted by Dismayed on (September 21, 2011, 7:38 GMT)

4 years too late I say. D.Lehman/S.Warne will do me. Both have warmed up in the IPL Warne should have been Captain of Australia maybe as coach he can help teach a few to read the play and be in front of the game, likewise Lehman. If only we can get rid of Ponting and Clarke at the same time we have the makings of a bright new era.

Posted by hyclass on (September 21, 2011, 6:31 GMT)

@RightArmEverything.Its a complete mystery to me and has been since i was a kid.I named 8 pieces of information for the game,before they happened.England are the measure of real world progress.The wins,equals one test that was a lottery courtesy of the pitch and could have gone either way,depending on the toss.Its positive in that Clarkes captaining and integrity is returning to all processes after 4 years.Marsh did brilliantly within limits.Lyon took 5 for 379 outside Galle re my records dont lie mantra.Hughes returned at Nielsens passing.So did Clarke@Meety...i sent my Marsh predictions to live commentary,2nd time,when he was 23 and 3rd time,when he was on about 74.They dont always put comments up.If they keep them,im sure you can ask for them.I told my boy,before Herath bowled the over that dismissed Marsh,he would definitely be out that over,then ran around the house in disbelief when it happened.Daft for someone who is fact driven,i know.The positive for me is Nielsens resignation

Posted by straight_drive4 on (September 21, 2011, 5:39 GMT)

dont be fooled - steve rixon was not appointed as "fielding coach". he will take the job

Posted by kasyapm on (September 21, 2011, 5:35 GMT)

I think Tom Moody is the right man for the job (if he is not committed to any other assignment). He has proved his coaching skills with SL and was the one recommended by John Wright when he was quitting India coach' position. Unfortunately, we didn't heed to it.

Posted by   on (September 21, 2011, 5:28 GMT)

Darren Lehmann would be the perfect choice for next coach. I hope they dont go down the Darren Berry road because he would be a terrible choice as his record is only any good at the IPL, everywhere else he has been less than ordinary.

Posted by   on (September 21, 2011, 4:57 GMT)

@Rajan Naidu First you got to understand that the Australia tour to South Africa in Oct/Nov is an additional series organized by CA to compensate the Proteas for the Boxing Day n New Year Tests they played in Australia in the current FTP.Another point is that its not a full tour of 3 tests n 5 odis as they planned earlier.Instead it is a short series of 2 tests,3 odis n 2 t20I's where one test has been culled due to Aus and SA domestic teams playing in CL and many Aussie Players representing their IPL sides.So it won't be a 3-0 for any team.

Posted by TeamRocker on (September 21, 2011, 4:52 GMT)

Mickey Arthur wouldn't be a bad choice, nor would Waugh. If Warne can stick to the coaching job, they should definitely appoint him.

Posted by MinusZero on (September 21, 2011, 4:40 GMT)

Johnson should step down too before being sacked. It wont be long on current form. Ponting should be worried too.

Posted by RightArmEverything on (September 21, 2011, 4:25 GMT)

@Meety, well he does get on well with Clarke, but I reckon he'd need to be in complete control of the team. Now that Warne's dropped about 5 trouser sizes and is super trim, maybe he's fit enough to handle tests again and could just come out of retirement and be Captain-Coach!

Posted by landl47 on (September 21, 2011, 3:27 GMT)

Interesting comments on this forum about the next coach. I think, with all due respect to 5wombats, that Warne would be a terrible choice. He's far too easily bored and he'd keep trying new things just to keep himself entertained. Anyway,there's no chance he would take it. Waugh might be a better choice, he's all about grinding and making the best of every situation and as a successful captain he knows how to motivate players. I don't know about his organizational skills, though. Tom Moody would be a serious contender if he decided to apply. I can't see it being an outsider, but a fresh look might be just what Australia needs. I just hope, as an England fan, they don't get Gary Kirsten!

Posted by   on (September 21, 2011, 2:50 GMT)

@ Rajan Naidu, Like the last SA home series?? Ohh that's right, Australia won that one didn't they?

Posted by smudgeon on (September 21, 2011, 2:39 GMT)

Tim Coyle would be a good choice - if he applies for the job, that is. He's done wonders turning Tassie into a very competitive unit in domestic circles, as well as fostering a strong sense of team. Just as important, he has the respect of his team, and isn't shy in praising or bollocking them publicly if need be. However, I get the feeling this process is going to lead to a predictable "superstar" coach signing, rather than pursuing the best fit for the job. But, if that leads us to Mickey Arthur, I think I could live with that :)

Posted by RightArmEverything on (September 21, 2011, 2:27 GMT)

@hyclass, are you the oracle now? Please give us your predictions for Marsh's scores for the Sth Africa series. I'm sure he'd like to know. It's obvious that England would still beat Australia comfortably if they played today. Australia only played 3 tests since the Ashes and are beginning to develop their future team. But winning a test series and the positive way Australia played is the only way to start climbing to the standard they want to achieve. Sth Africa will be a tougher challenge and I look fwd to seeing how the Aussies go, and I'm positive that good things will come out of that tour whether Australia wins or not.

Posted by Meety on (September 21, 2011, 2:04 GMT)

@hyclass - for a bloke who likes to "deal in facts" - you are starting to sound quite Nostradamus-like, which is not factual. I wasn't in favour of Marsh getting in the side, he's done well so far, let's just be happy for him. 5 or 6 tests from now, & if his test average plummets below 40 then you can say I told you so. BTW - I never saw any predictions of what score Marsh would get in the commentry. @RightArmEverything - under your criteria for a coach - Warney would be the PERFECT fit!!!!!

Posted by Boba_Fett on (September 21, 2011, 1:21 GMT)

The current coaching role has been made redundant and a new role created. So Nielsen was made redundant - pretty normal behaviour.

If he genuinely wanted to be a part of the new plan moving forward he should apply for the new job. But no, he's decided to have a bit of a tanty and a whinge...

Proof that he isn't the right man for the job.

Steve Rixon would seem to be a perfect fit.

Posted by   on (September 21, 2011, 1:21 GMT)

thank god he's gone!!!! I read it was this dope that tried to change hughes batting style and also changed johnsons bowling action, when both were on fire.. He had no idea this guy, i cant believe people are blaming everything else but this guy!!!!

Posted by Nerk on (September 21, 2011, 0:48 GMT)

Nielson and the selectors have been the scapegoat for the problems faced by Australian cricket in the last few years. However, I believe it is time questions should be asked about the CA who appointed them. Should they not take some responsibility for the coach and selectors, just as the coach and selectors must take some responsibility for the players. In my opinion, Aus. cricket has too many suits and not enough cricketers.

Posted by RightArmEverything on (September 21, 2011, 0:25 GMT)

The Coach-Captain combination is the key thing, so whoever gets the job better be someone that Clarke feels he can work well with. No point appointing a superstar coach who doesn't share Clarke's vision for the future. I think this might be Rixon. @ Mervo, We definitely don't want anyone like Buchanan to over-complicate a simple game - constantly trying to come up with out-of-the-square ideas does not make you an intelligent cricket person. Being able to understand what's required, focus on it and understanding how to get the best out of your players does.

Posted by Stevo_ on (September 21, 2011, 0:23 GMT)

Tom Moody please step up . . . .

Posted by hyclass on (September 21, 2011, 0:12 GMT)

Coaches are supposed to make players better.Nielsen made them worse for 4 years,even senior players.After 2.5 years,Hughes finally played 'His Way' on the day before WE heard about Nielsen.Coincidence? Never.Many denied Nielsen was involved with huge damage to Hughes batting whenever he joined the Test squad,even for tour matches,believing he wasnt the batting coach.It was repudiated by,' Marsh Leaving the Ball'.Marsh talked about working with Nielsen on BATTING.Marsh career S/R has remained unchanged.If he left the ball more,it would be lower.Australia and Marsh did well because tracks were flat and the attack awful.Thats all.They wouldnt be any better against England.The only result was the Galle minefield lottery.BEFORE Marsh batted in the last Test,on live comments,i twice predicted,based on his previous record,Marsh would make 82 and 20 in this game.Close enough?Lyon had Galle.Otherwise-5 for 379 on tour.O'Keefe & Bollinger should have played.Only Sutherland & Jack Clarke to go.

Posted by   on (September 20, 2011, 23:43 GMT)

Nielsen was culpable a long time ago. Nice guy though he is, he always struck me as a the guy who was a mate of the players rather than the leader, making hard decisions. Some people have been lauding Warne as a candidate. Surely you don't read about what Warne thinks or says about coaching because if Warne ever coached it would be one of the biggest hypocritical moments in hypocritical history.

Posted by   on (September 20, 2011, 23:38 GMT)

thats because then they tour SA, they will be beaten 3-0!

Posted by Meety on (September 20, 2011, 23:28 GMT)

Cya later Timbo. By all accounts a nice bloke, yep he was living the DREAM. Superficially at least - not good enough for the role. Bring on Rixon (I suspect he will be the "interim" appointment, (although I think this was CA's plan when he was appointed the "fielding" coach). == == == @Brumby90 - why not Rixon? He has very good credentials. @jonesy2 - I think there are plenty of good Oz coaches - but Mickey Arthur would be the man if we went abroad. He's done the apprenticeship in WA. @AidanFX - a lot of people have put fwd S Waugh, I think he's been out of the game too long, he has done very little to boost his coaching skills. A selector YES, involved ANYWHERE ELSE in OZ cricket YES, Coaching NO (IMO)! @popcorn - IMO, the jury is out on Buchanan. Until he coaches another team, we can't really tell, even the QLD shield teams (winners), were stacked full of players that were nearly Greats, like Law, Love (Hayden often), Maher, Kasprowicz, Seccombe & Bichel.

Posted by HatsforBats on (September 20, 2011, 23:24 GMT)

Tim doesn't realise that test cricket is the big biscuit, it is those failings that prompted the Argus Review. Neilsen showed during the Ashes that he does not have the capacity to either motivate his team or to correct their errors. Rixon & Langer are both very disciplined individuals, and that is what the Aus test team needs. They should stay on in their roles with Rixon getting the top position. I disagree with the expanded role of the national coach, sure let him sit on a panel every now and then, but don't remove his focus from the primary goal; coaching the team.

Posted by Number_5 on (September 20, 2011, 23:20 GMT)

The focus should be on strengthening the domestic competition. To do this junior circket pathways need to be improved. Each year cricket is losing up to 5 Aus junior players to other codes as they can make 200-300k within two years playing Aussie rules or Rugby / Leauge. Once the foundation of the game is strong then we can / should focus on the top. A change was required and unfortunately for Tim, he is one of the scapegoats (id like to see some of the big wigs at CA also fall on their sword as they too are partly to blame)

Posted by TEST_CRICKET_ONLY on (September 20, 2011, 23:07 GMT)

Good riddance. A few others need to follow.

Posted by hornet18 on (September 20, 2011, 23:01 GMT)

I think CA making Neilsen re-apply for the position he already has is absolute new age garbage and totally agree it's a kick in the guts to him. Show some strength of character CA and reappoint or dismiss Nelisen based on his performances. At least that is showing him some respect.

Posted by mightymf2000 on (September 20, 2011, 22:38 GMT)

My only question apart from Rixion is who is intersted in the job?

Posted by 5wombats on (September 20, 2011, 22:16 GMT)

Yeah, Gee @Mervo - that intelligent couch is sounding good. Can I come round and have a sit sometime? :-)

Posted by   on (September 20, 2011, 20:51 GMT)

Well done on your efforts Tim. If the selectors had picked S Marsh in the Perth Test against England you might have minimised that big England loss. Maybe not, but I think the selectors have let you down a few times, with S Smith batting six against England when he wasn't up to the task, Hauritz getting the flick after India in Oct 2010 when he was clearly a better option than Doherty for the Gabba Ashes Test. Who could predict that Ponting and M Clarke would have such poor Ashes series? Sure their lack of form with the bat isn't T Nielsen's fault? Ryan Harris staying on the park may have helped too. You've certainly taken the high moral ground from CA but not re-applying and good luck to you for that..................

Posted by Mervo on (September 20, 2011, 20:12 GMT)

WE need a couch with intelligence and a detailed plan. Like Andy Flower for England (another import!) and John Buchanan was for Australia. No more ex cricket 'jocks' sharing their theories about the game or prolonging their careers. Coaching is a full time profession and need to have administrative aspects with the new structure that has been announced.

Posted by   on (September 20, 2011, 19:59 GMT)

apply for pakistan coaching jobb i strongly recomends u

Posted by 5wombats on (September 20, 2011, 19:41 GMT)

Oh! Sure - never in a month of Sundays would a "foriegn coach" get the call. That'll never happen. Aussies are inward looking and would see taking on a foriegn coach as an admission of weakness. As well as that - Andy Flower isn't available....:-). But seriously - if you want to see a Top Class quality competitive minded coach Warne has got to be the man. But is he interested? I seriously doubt it!

Posted by   on (September 20, 2011, 19:24 GMT)

With Gary as coach with SA cricket..they would perform much better in there home conditions..and with this the new interm coach too would feel the pressure to perform in SA series.Hope both the sides play to the best of the abilities and make test cricket rocking..!!!

Posted by   on (September 20, 2011, 18:21 GMT)

First we have to appreciate Nielsen for a wonderful 4 years as aussie coach.He was the coach of aussie during the transition period ,where greats like warne,hayden,langer and mcgrath retired.So the new guy ,who will take over as aussie coach,will bein a better postion.Because they have a new captain,some new promising players like shaun,lyon and copeland................all the best aussie cric team and its new coach

Posted by   on (September 20, 2011, 18:05 GMT)

May be he got Call From pakistan?

Posted by bumsonseats on (September 20, 2011, 18:02 GMT)

best choice warne. will he get it. no. i supose they could not pay the wages he would require. dpk

Posted by 5wombats on (September 20, 2011, 17:47 GMT)

@hyclass will be delighted! @popcorn - you think; "The Cricketing world's BEST COACH EVER was John Buchanan". But Shane Warne - one of the finest cricketers who ever graced this game thinks Buchanan was the world's worst ever coach. If I had to pick out of the two of you who was right, Shane Warne or Popcorn - I wouldn't be choosing Popcorn.

Posted by Ahsan_Shere on (September 20, 2011, 17:17 GMT)

No Australian can be a better coach for Pakistan.

Posted by milepost on (September 20, 2011, 17:11 GMT)

I'd be very surprised if Langer got it. May be it is time for a foreign coach who has experience with managing up and coming talent - one that can work with selectors and the centre of excellence and the plans CA say they have. Keep in mind Clarke should only remain captain whilst he is contributing as a batsman so his role in the ongoing team selection whilst ideal now (and long overdue) may not always be relevant. Steve Waugh would be great but I think he has a lot more to offer the game of cricket than coaching the Aussies. I don't think you have to be an ex player to be an excellent coach. Tim has done a fine job and I'm still miffed when I look at the top order and see Katich is not there. Hughes is a good young player but Katich getting left out was something else so it will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

Posted by naveenpnayak on (September 20, 2011, 16:52 GMT)

I would like 2 see Mcgrath, Warne,Hayden, Wasim Akram or Gilli to be the coach of CA, What a turn around these players can bring to the team.

Posted by RIBI on (September 20, 2011, 16:46 GMT)

Wow he can surely coach Pakistani side... We desperately need a competent coach like him...

Posted by   on (September 20, 2011, 16:06 GMT)

Join the mighty Sri Lankan team Neilsen, You could enjoy another 4-5 years of pure pleasure and great beaches.

Posted by popcorn on (September 20, 2011, 16:05 GMT)

The Cricketing world's BEST COACH EVER was John Buchanan.I hope Cricket Australia will have the wisdom to select smoene like him,assisted by a specialist Batting Coach,Fielding coach and Bowling Coach.

Posted by   on (September 20, 2011, 16:04 GMT)

justin langer will get the job, rixon is unfit to coach, were as Nielson would join the team in train, i know langer can do that as craig Mcdermott is a good bowling coach, i would love steve waugh to be but thats not gonna happen, i guess ponting could do the job while playing, i mean why not

Posted by   on (September 20, 2011, 16:02 GMT)

I think he will be a grat asset to pakistan cricket. If i were selecting couch for pakistan i would consider him. before he is taken

Posted by   on (September 20, 2011, 15:57 GMT)

@CricketMaan Duncan Fletcher is a good coach and helped get England from a sub-standard cricketing nation to where they are today at the top of the world. India's recent series lost wasn't his fault, he hasn't had any time to establish himself and any coach with India's current awful bowling attack would struggle to win anything.

Posted by   on (September 20, 2011, 15:37 GMT)

Greetings from India,Good News for Aussie Fans that Nielsen is going.I think Justin Langer should be the fulltime coach.One more good step will be to dismiss interim selector Guru Greg soon and fire him as the talent manager.

Posted by Gupta.Ankur on (September 20, 2011, 15:22 GMT)

I think its a bit unfair for Katich first and Nielsen now...........You can't be too judgmental after 1 series loss......considering Aus are a team who is trying to find out the right combination....

Posted by AidanFX on (September 20, 2011, 15:14 GMT)

Go for Steve Waugh if he wants it - I know initially he wasn't interested in the position but things may have changed. Steve was a tough nut - brilliant player to. Over saw the argus review - perfect candidate

Posted by Technical-1 on (September 20, 2011, 15:14 GMT)

Was he responsible for Kat.. not being there? If he had anything to do with it.. As a West Indian..He got the boot in his behind a series too late.

Posted by jakigui on (September 20, 2011, 15:08 GMT)

@ Naveen Srikantaiah: ur comment so funny.....lol...If Anil Kumble so good give him da job as Indian coach n let him get da poor indian team from misery...lol

Posted by landl47 on (September 20, 2011, 14:51 GMT)

It's hard to give an objective assessment of Nielsen because of the circumstances in which he operated. During his watch, Aus lost most of the great players and the next generation doesn't look, so far, to be of the same standard. The team was selected by a part-time panel and some very strange decisions were made- the revolving door of spinners, for example. Probably one of the biggest issues was that Ponting was retained as captain long after it became clear that he really wasn't very good at the job; the Ashes series of 2009 should certainly have been his last in that role. Clarke has looked an entirely better proposition and should have had the job earlier. Having said that, it's difficult to point to any area in which Nielsen has made a positive contribution to upgrading Australia's approach. The true measure of how he did might not be clear until after his successor has had some time in the job.

Posted by Gordo85 on (September 20, 2011, 14:51 GMT)

Well this is really some good news for South Africa. I can not wait until Australia play South Africa at home.

Posted by Sandstorm82 on (September 20, 2011, 14:36 GMT)

There's a job going as Pakistan coach? Tough shoes to fill with Waqar's departure but I know the coach selection panel is shopping for a foreign coach! Go on Tim, you know you want to... Lol

Posted by   on (September 20, 2011, 14:36 GMT)

anil kumble is very good cricketer,but i don't think that Australia need to take him as a national coach,because they have enough resources in their country,west Indies and Australia are only dominated cricketing nations in the world,not like wining one series and next one white washed.they performed consistently.i think Australia still maintain that cricketing stand except few defeats. that's why every body like hire Australian coach.i think kumble should appoint as Indian coach,because India need make some quality bowlers if they want play good international cricket. fortunetly indie have world class IPL bowlers.but gap between IPL and international cricket like sky and earth.according to my view point IPL doesn't do any thing for developing international cricket except players can earn some money for their own life.some times some players gamble their international careers when they chasing endless money

Posted by Nightwing32 on (September 20, 2011, 14:27 GMT)

Anil Kumble? That wouldn't be a bad idea actually. Nielsen did what he could, the team wasn't performing and there was just too many selection changes where the coach didn't have much of a say. I wish he well in the future and hope he finds a job soon because he is good. Now to look forward, Langer, Rixon or Arthur are three that this job is between.

Posted by Dashgar on (September 20, 2011, 14:18 GMT)

Duncan Fletcher wouldn't be the worst person for the job. Not sure India would want to let him go though, there's a lot of deep seeded problems in the India setup that he needs to fix first, although some Indian fans probably like to think he brought them there. I think Aus need someone with plenty of international experience, who knows what it takes to tour England and the subcontinent. Steve Waugh would be my first choice.

Posted by   on (September 20, 2011, 14:12 GMT)

his next duty - may be coaching SRI LANKA ?????????????????

Posted by emereyd on (September 20, 2011, 14:10 GMT)

Hopefully Steve Rixon will get the job- very underrated coach.

Posted by   on (September 20, 2011, 14:10 GMT)

Waqar Younis is a good option for Austrailia, looking at the recent performance of Pakistan Cricket team

Posted by jonesy2 on (September 20, 2011, 14:09 GMT)

CricketMaan --- no chance mate hahahaha. i wouldnt be against a foreign coach, mickey arthur seems like an obvious candidate, maybe stephen fleming. but if an aussie i would say steve waugh or shane warne. good luck in the future to tim nielson though.

Posted by Wipper on (September 20, 2011, 14:03 GMT)

In my view, Sri Lanka should appoint Tim as coach as he knows now exactly what Sri Lanka need to win...., to me he is a fine coach and it was players inability that they could not win Ashes. It is so unfortunate they let him go. I doubt Aussies will do any better and this series win against poor Sri Lankan team does not mean that Clarke et al is going any good barring Huss. Anyway this will be seen in South Africa.

Posted by Biggus on (September 20, 2011, 13:58 GMT)

Oops, Hilditch is gone. How did I miss that.

Posted by Sanj747 on (September 20, 2011, 13:57 GMT)

A good move this. If only Hilditch had done it earlier and acknowledged the defencies. As for Anil Kumble being the coach as suggested by Naveen, I think India need him more than the aussies.

Posted by Brumby90 on (September 20, 2011, 13:56 GMT)

Anil Kumble?????????????? My god you must be kidding. The coach should be more a motivational position and someone like a Waugh would be more suited. Lets face it, you dont really need "coaching" if you are in the national team. Lets hope Langer and Rixon dont get the job. Yikes.

Posted by shamlaatu on (September 20, 2011, 13:33 GMT)

Would be interesting if he looks into the open position of "Pakistan coach".

Posted by blackjesuz on (September 20, 2011, 13:17 GMT)

Ahh thank goodness! Hilditch and Nielsen gone, this is great for australian cricket. You can't blame Nielsen for australia's losses but you can blame him for their declining fielding standards, Johnson and Hilfenhous regressing in the national set up, Siddle's one dimensional approach, amongst other things a coach should be helping the youngsters with.

Posted by   on (September 20, 2011, 13:03 GMT)

Australia should approach Anil kumble to be as the New national coach for their team.

Posted by Biggus on (September 20, 2011, 13:02 GMT)

Well done Tim, and thanks for trying, but it's time for a new broom. If only Hilditch would stop patting himself on the back and do the same.

Posted by CricketMaan on (September 20, 2011, 13:00 GMT)

What next Tim, IPL Coaching.????

Posted by   on (September 20, 2011, 12:59 GMT)

Tim Nielsen Done His job Quite Very Well

Posted by CricketMaan on (September 20, 2011, 12:59 GMT)

They shoudl go for Duncan Fletcher..plzzz take him aussies..plzzzz..plzzz..plzzzz

Daniel BrettigClose
Daniel Brettig Assistant editor Daniel Brettig had been a journalist for eight years when he joined ESPNcricinfo, but his fascination with cricket dates back to the early 1990s, when his dad helped him sneak into the family lounge room to watch the end of day-night World Series matches well past bedtime. Unapologetically passionate about indie music and the South Australian Redbacks, Daniel's chief cricketing achievement was to dismiss Wisden Almanack editor Lawrence Booth in the 2010 Ashes press match in Perth - a rare Australian victory that summer.
Tour Results
Sri Lanka v Australia at Colombo (SSC) - Sep 16-20, 2011
Match drawn
Sri Lanka v Australia at Pallekele - Sep 8-12, 2011
Match drawn
Sri Lanka v Australia at Galle - Aug 31-Sep 3, 2011
Australia won by 125 runs
SL Board XI v Australians at Colombo (PSS) - Aug 25-27, 2011
Match drawn
Sri Lanka v Australia at Colombo (RPS) - Aug 22, 2011
Sri Lanka won by 4 wickets (with 18 balls remaining)
More results »