Sri Lanka v Bangladesh, 2nd Test, Colombo, 2nd day

Chandimal eyeing lead of 120

Andrew Fidel Fernando in Colombo

March 17, 2013

Dinesh Chandimal punches the ball through the off side, Sri Lanka v Bangladesh, 2nd Test, Colombo, 2nd day, March 17, 2013
Dinesh Chandimal believes Sri Lanka need a few more runs to put pressure on Bangladesh on a deteriorating Colombo pitch © AFP

Sri Lanka will aim to make at least 70 more runs in their first innings, after finishing day two 54 runs ahead of Bangladesh, with four wickets in hand, Dinesh Chandimal stated. Chandimal's 102 came in a 195-run partnership that lifted Sri Lanka out of a precarious 69 for 4, and took them beyond Bangladesh's 240 in the first innings.

Sangakkara remained unbeaten at stumps, having hit his third consecutive Test hundred, and fifth straight ton against Bangladesh at home. He has Nuwan Kulasekara for company, with Shaminda Eranga and Rangana Herath to come, all of whom are capable of providing batting support.

"I think a lead of 120 to 150 would be great," Chandimal said. "When I was batting, I saw some patches on the wicket that might wear down as the match goes on. If we get a lead that big, they will be at a psychological disadvantage. On this track, and given [that] the outfield is slow, a lead of 120 is worth about 180 runs. I think given Kumar is [still] at the crease, we should be able to get there.

"After I got my hundred I wanted to stay and make sure we got that lead, but I got one that kept low and deflected off my bat onto the stumps, so that was a little unlucky."

Chandimal's hundred was also his second in consecutive innings. He has also crossed fifty in his last three knocks, stretching back to the second innings in the New Year Test in Sydney. Chandimal said he was under pressure when he arrived at the crease, but was able to fight through the tough period, thanks to the advice of his senior partner.

"They bowled superbly at the start of my innings. Sohag Gazi and Robiul Islam were bowling well. But after a while, we put pressure back on them. Sanga (Sangakkara) was batting so well and giving some good advice about what variations the bowlers have and all that, so we were able to put a good partnership on the scorecard."

Chandimal was made Test and ODI vice-captain before the series, and said that while he enjoyed the new responsibility and recent success, he hoped to achieve more in the game. Aside from Sangakkara's on-field support, Chandimal also drew inspiration from his work ethic and longevity.

"Kumar is a star. I learn a lot from him outside the matches as well. How he bats, how he trains. He works hard and does lot of tough things right. That's the reason why he gets rich dividends when he bats. More than his records I would like to play for a long time for the national team. That's important for me. As vice-captain I would like to see [the] team winning more games. If I am able to do that, I would be really happy."

Chandimal's wicket-keeping has been tidy in his five matches in the role, and he now looks set to become a long-term fixture in that capacity. He said he was wary of the effect keeping wickets might have on his batting, but was confident of fulfilling both roles successfully.

"If we bat first, and I am the wicket keeper, it doesn't really affect my performance. But if we field first, and I bat at the top order, after tiring myself out behind the stumps, it can become an issue. But batting at [the] middle order, I don't think it should be a problem, especially now because I'm only 23."

Andrew Fidel Fernando is ESPNcricinfo's Sri Lanka correspondent. He tweets here

RSS Feeds: Andrew Fidel Fernando

Posted by Sam.92 on (March 18, 2013, 6:12 GMT)

@mamoon_03 - Read up on the 10th law of cricket my friend..

Posted by kmpm on (March 18, 2013, 5:59 GMT)

Very boring series .. Absolutely stale! Srilanka doesnt add anything new .. Same old dragging tactics against opponents at home.

Posted by   on (March 18, 2013, 5:46 GMT)

@wbyeats I think you don't have enough knowledge about cricket history. Every new team needs time to be a big gun in international arena. I don't know from which country you are. But I guess you are from India or Pakistan. Just see the history of India and pakistan when they were new in international arena. They are now big guns in international arena by change of time. Hopefully, Bangladesh will also be a big gun in near future. Don't be jealous! Try to respect others, mate!

Posted by wbyeats on (March 18, 2013, 5:14 GMT)

@mamoon....we are all disappointed with BD...lol. Is it in the rules that a team keeps losing test match after test match for more than a decade and still be allowed to be in the top flight of international cricket....give Test cricket a break literally BD....ask the counties if you can play in their league....funnily, even they might decline that request...

Posted by mamoon_03 on (March 18, 2013, 5:09 GMT)

Is it in the rules that ground's grass can cut after completing opponent teams batting???? I'm dissapointed :-( :-(

Posted by   on (March 18, 2013, 4:04 GMT)

well done chandimal, keep it up.u has a great future,learn more not to give away ur wicket easily. but always play for ur team and for sri lanka

Posted by Ramansilva on (March 18, 2013, 4:01 GMT)

After getting some unfair treatment by the selctors, despite showing good performance in other countries, Chandi is now cementing his place in the team. He is most probably the best prospect for future captaincy. I think he should train himself for that role instead of keeping wickets. Yes, Dhoni is successful in his dual role. Sanga is also a part-time keeper. But a test team need a specialized keeper who also can bat.

Posted by mamoon_03 on (March 17, 2013, 20:46 GMT)

Andrew Fidel FernandoClose
Tour Results
Sri Lanka v Bangladesh at Pallekele - Mar 31, 2013
Sri Lanka won by 17 runs
Sri Lanka v Bangladesh at Pallekele - Mar 28, 2013
Bangladesh won by 3 wickets (with 6 balls remaining) (D/L method)
Sri Lanka v Bangladesh at Hambantota - Mar 25, 2013
No result
Sri Lanka v Bangladesh at Hambantota - Mar 23, 2013
Sri Lanka won by 8 wickets (with 32 balls remaining) (D/L method)
Sri Lanka v Bangladesh at Colombo (RPS) - Mar 16-19, 2013