|Photos||Video & Audio||Blogs||Statistics||Archive||Games||Mobile|
September 28, 2007
"The president [ Rajapakse] called all the relevant parties and had a discussion at which everything was cleared," Jayananda Warnaweera, the stadium curator, told AFP.
Duleep Mendis, the CEO of Sri Lanka Cricket, confirmed that the rebuilding was on schedule. "The ground will be ready for the Third Test [against England in December]," Mendis said.
The stadium had been destroyed by the tsunami on December 26, 2004.
Earlier, Parakrama Dahanayake, the president of the Galle Heritage Foundation, had expressed concern over the the blocking of the fort. "The view of the fort will be completely blocked by the new building that is coming up," Dahanayake said. "The view is obscured and the Galle Fort may find itself struck off the World Heritage list as a result."
© ESPN EMEA Ltd.
Plays of the day from the IPL qualifier between Chennai Super Kings and Mumbai Indians in Delhi
Safe & simple online money transfer. Apply Now!
Available now at Cricshop