Fernando reported 'suspicious approach' - SLC
Fast bowler Dilhara Fernando reported a suspicious approach to the Sri Lanka team management that was in turn reported to the ICC's Anti-Corruption and Security Unit (ACSU), the Sri Lanka board has said. The incident is among those reported by ESPNcricinfo to have taken place over the past year.
The ACSU's investigators met Fernando in May 2009, while in Sri Lanka to interview players regarding the terrorist attack on their team bus in Lahore earlier that year.
"During their visit to Sri Lanka, Dilhara Fernando voluntarily reported a suspicious approach to the team management, and it was immediately referred to the ICC Anti Corruption Unit who in turn carried out a regulation interview with Dilhara," Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) said in a statement.
Kumar Sangakkara, Sri Lanka's captain, said that Fernando "should be applauded for following the rules" and alerting the Sri Lanka authorities.
The SLC said it hadn't received any further communication regarding the issue. "The interviewing of players after the reporting of suspicious approaches is standard practice and the above-mentioned cricketer followed the correct protocol. The Anti-Corruption Unit then followed their normal protocol and launched an investigation. We can confirm that no further information has been provided to us with regard to this incident or player that necessitates any action or raises any concern."
ESPNcricinfo had reported on September 10 that possibly more than one Sri Lankan cricketer had been approached by suspicious persons on more than occasion over the last year and a half. One such instance happened during the World Twenty20 in England.