Senanayake retested in Chennai
Banned offspinner Sachithra Senanayake underwent an official retest of his action in Chennai on Sunday, with the results expected within the next two weeks, Sri Lanka Cricket has said. The retest is the culmination of months of remedial work, which Senanayake has carried out under the supervision of both human movement specialist Daryl Foster, as well as with local coaches.
Senanayake had been reported during Sri Lanka's ODI series in England in June, then banned in July, following an official biomechanical test in Cardiff. The report from that test said Senanayake straightened his elbow by as much as 43 degrees when delivering the ball, but the bowler had consistently reduced that figure to about 20 degrees following his 10-day stint under Foster's instruction, in Perth.
He has since continued to work on bowling within the 15-degree limit, and played in Sri Lanka's Mercantile Cricket Association tournament in September and October. Senanayake took five wickets in three matches in that tournament.
Sri Lanka's World Cup plans may be boosted if Senanayake returns, though it is not yet clear whether a remodelled action will allow him to bowl with the same effectiveness at the top level. He had been instrumental to Sri Lanka's major limited-overs successes in 2014, delivering key spells in the Asia Cup and World T20 triumphs, as well as picking up the most wickets in the series against England.
Senanayake had already undergone an ICC test on his action in 2011, but was allowed to continue playing on that occasion. If he is cleared this time, but is found in breach of the legal limit again inside two years, he risks a one-year ban.
Andrew Fidel Fernando is ESPNcricinfo's Sri Lanka correspondent. @andrewffernando