<
>

Bangladesh issue is 'new ground' - Buttler

Jos Buttler has admitted England's players have been forced to think about issues they have not previously considered, after the tour to Bangladesh was given the go-ahead but with the option remaining open for individuals to decide if they would travel.

Late on Thursday evening, the ECB confirmed that the tour - scheduled to start on September 30 - would proceed, following the security assessment undertaken earlier this month. The one-day squad, plus Alastair Cook, were briefed at the team hotel in London with the players making use of the time to ask a significant number of questions.

The squads for the tour will only be named after the current series against Pakistan is completed, so the question of whether any players will pull out may remain unclear for a couple of weeks. Buttler would be a certain selection for the one-day leg of the trip, but would not comment on whether he would tour despite describing the meeting as "positive".

"There are things that people have probably never even considered before about cricket, and things people probably didn't realise went on for every single tour we go on," he said. "They are normally never privy to these conversations behind the scenes.

"It's probably new ground for a lot of people, some guys in the meeting - Andrew Strauss and Alastair Cook - were part of the team that went back to India in 2008 so have been in this situation before and probably know how to deal with it. But it's new ground for people and it's important we try to deal with it the best we can.

"It was a positive meeting with lots of information to digest. All you can say is it's something you have to digest. It's tricky for us at the moment, we've got a game tomorrow and international cricket needs your full focus to perform well."

Buttler would not divulge details of what was discussed at the team hotel but indicated there had been a reassuring level of information from Reg Dickason, the ECB's head of security, PCA chief executive David Leatherdale, head of operations John Carr and team director Strauss.

However, Buttler was keen not to take his focus off the second one-day international against Pakistan at Lord's on Saturday.

"It was a private meeting, there was a lot of information. As a player you felt there was a great duty of care from the board and a lot has been considered which was put across to the players," Buttler said. "There was lot to digest which is tough to do mid-series - there's no good time for these things to happen - but they have to be discussed. It's paramount we are as professional as we can be and think about it when we can, but 11am tomorrow is not the time."