Mickey Arthur, Pakistan's coach, admitted it was "very frustrating" to see Mohammad Irfan only able to deliver five overs at Headingley before leaving the field with what was said to be cramp despite having been training as a standby player.
Irfan had been drafted into the squad after Mohammad Hafeez was ruled out of the series and was one of four changes Pakistan made after conceding the world record total of 444 for 3 at Trent Bridge.
He delivered Pakistan's fieriest spell of the one-day series to remove Jason Roy and Alex Hales, setting back England's chase of 248, and nearly claimed Eoin Morgan as well during a hostile over in the ninth. That battle with Morgan ended his first spell when he was then withdrawn from the attack after five overs. He continued fielding for a period which included holding a catch at fine leg to remove Joe Root, then disappeared to the dressing room.
He eventually prepared to bowl again for the 42nd over but only managed one delivery, a vast wide off the pitch outside off, before trudging off again with Arthur clearly unimpressed as he watched from the sidelines.
Leading into his comeback match, Irfan had bowled just four competitive overs - in a domestic T20 for Islamabad against Lahore on August 26 - although Arthur did reference two "50-over games" as part of his period with the National Cricket Academy (NCA).
"It's very frustrating," Arthur said. "There were checks and balances in place. He was put on standby when we selected our one-day squad, he went to the NCA and did his training. He played two 50-over games and 20-over game and was resident at the NCA for a period of a week and a half."
Arthur conceded "I'm finding my way with the one-day team" - which was already in a far greater degree of flux than the Test side when he came in as coach - but insisted he has a full say in selection alongside the chief selector Inzamam-ul-Haq.
"I want to give guys opportunities and then we'll know by the end of the tour who we can and can't take forward. Irfan was a player of interest and I wanted to have a look at him go. Inzi and myself have developed a really good relationship. We speak a hell of a lot. I spent probably 40 minutes on the phone to him yesterday just discussing where we were and possible names who could come in in positions I've identified. What I am finding out is who can do a job and who can't."
Arthur, who before the match at Lord's earlier in this series said that no one's position was safe in the side, and put his over-30s on particular notice, admitted it had been an "eye-opening" four matches against England.
"England are a phenomenal cricket team, power hitters all the way down, we haven't been able to get quick starts and clear the ropes," he said. "We just don't have the players to do that within our group of 15 at the moment. Those are things we need to address and bear in mind for the next series. It also gives me an opportunity to decide who we take forward and how we play our cricket. With every game that becomes clearer and clearer."
One issue he remains adamant on, however, is that players must conform to the off-field standards expected. One particular name in focus continues to be Umar Akmal whose attitude has come in for previous criticism by Arthur. He is still sidelined from the national side, having not been included for the one-off T20 at Old Trafford, and Arthur was again cautious in his assessment of Akmal.
"They have to conform. You would like to think, and I've never worked with Umar so it's all hearsay for me, that he's learnt a lesson," Arthur said. "I haven't had any conversations with him yet. He's a very good finisher. His form in the local T20 competition is very good so he's putting his hand up and he's going about his business in a fairly good way. But in terms of other off-field stuff, that will be decided at a later date and we'll never compromise."