Former Australia batsman David Hussey has announced his retirement from the Big Bash League (BBL) following the Melbourne Stars' exit in the semi-finals on Tuesday. Hussey had already retired from all other formats in 2015 and had only played in the BBL since then.
He was part of the Stars' squad from the inaugural edition of the BBL and captained the side the last two seasons. Under his leadership, the Stars were finalists in 2015-16, losing to the Sydney Thunder; on Tuesday, they lost to the Perth Scorchers by seven wickets.
Hussey confirmed his decision to retire on Twitter and told the SEN radio network that he did not want to hold up a spot and prevent a younger player from coming through.
"I'm done. I spoke to the boys quietly last night," he said. "It's amazing what you want to do, but you can't actually do it anymore… I'm still pretty emotional about it.
"I'm sort of stopping a progressing of a young player coming through the ranks and achieving their dreams of playing at the highest possible level. It's time to move on, but very thankful for what I've achieved in the game."
Across six seasons, Hussey scored 855 runs in 48 matches for the Stars, with three fifties. That was part of a T20 career in which he played 267 overall, scoring 6097 runs, at a strike rate of 133.20, with one century and 31 fifties.
He played 108 limited-overs international matches for Australia between 2008 and 2013, scoring 2552 runs with one ODI century - against Scotland in 2009. In 2015, he completed a Level III coaching qualification, having served as a batting coach with Cricket Victoria for a couple of seasons while playing domestic cricket. Last year, he served as assistant coach of the Australia A side for a quadrangular series that also featured South Africa A, India A and the National Performance Squad.
Apart from the BBL, Hussey also had stints in the Indian Premier League, the Caribbean Premier League, and domestic T20 tournaments in England and New Zealand.