<
>

Dwayne Bravo targets CPL return

Dwayne Bravo suffered a hamstring injury during his Big Bash League stint Cricket Australia/Getty Images

Allrounder Dwayne Bravo is targeting a return to competitive cricket in the 2017 Caribbean Premier League in August, having spent the first half of the year recovering from a hamstring injury.

Bravo had suffered the injury during his stint with Melbourne Renegades in December last year and underwent surgery. He missed the Pakistan Super League in February, then joined his IPL franchise Gujarat Lions in India but did not play as his rehabilitation continued.

Bravo said he would play a friendly match for the opening of the Brian Lara Cricket Academy this month, but wanted to ensure he did not rush into full-time cricket without regaining full fitness. He also reiterated that he remained available for selection in the West Indies T20 squad, the only format which he plays for the team.

"My next competitive cricket will be for CPL. I am playing the game for Brian Lara on Friday," he told line&length, a Barbados-based network. "I'll bowl two overs, maybe, just to see how it is getting back. International cricket is different. I want to give myself the best chance of coming back and playing the way I usually play, which is give 100% and do all the crazy things I do. I am not going to rush into anything. My target is to keep training and get my entire body in shape.

"I have improved a lot. I am closer to playing now than I was three-four months ago. The surgery itself was successful. It's just a matter of continuing my rehab programme. I don't want to rush things, it's a very severe injury. I want to make sure I am feeling good and comfortable in my mind.

"I am available for T20 selection, it's the only format in which I am available for selection. So if selected for T20s, I will play. I will always have the passion and the drive to play for West Indies. I am only limited in being able to play one format and those are things that I don't have control over."

Having last played an ODI for West Indies in October 2014, Bravo was almost certain he would not play the format again unless the selection structure for the West Indies team changes. Currently, players need to participate in the Regional Super50 List A competition to be available for selection in the ODI side.

"I am not going to give up the contracts that I have around the world to come back and play in the domestic tournament," he said. "I did it already and I got burned. I am not going to allow the same mistake to happen again. I gave up half of my contract in BBL in 2015 to come and play and make myself eligible for selection for the World Cup and the Sri Lanka tour, but I was not selected.

"Playing in those tournaments doesn't guarantee you selection. It makes you available but it doesn't guarantee selection. I am past the stage where I will give up certain amount of money on my contract and make myself available without any guarantee. If the structure changes or something different happens, then yes."