County news November 8, 2011

Chris Nash extends contract with Sussex

ESPNcricinfo staff

Chris Nash, the 28-year-old top-order batsman, has signed a new one-year extension to his contract with Sussex that will see him stay with the county till at least the end of the 2014 season. Nash, who only cemented his place in the Sussex side in 2007, scored 928 runs at an average of 33.14 in the Championship last season, 25.76 in the Friends Life t20 and 649 runs at 72.11 in the Clydesdale Bank 40, for which he won the Professional Cricketer's Association CB40 Player-of-the-Year award.

His performances in the limited-over formats earned him a call-up to the England Lions squads and he played three 50-over matches for them against Sri Lanka A in August. He has also been working on bowling his offspinners and took 26 wickets across formats last season. Nash scored more than 1000 runs in the Championship in both the 2009 and 2010 seasons.

"I have played here since I was seven years old so to still be here is something I am very proud of," Nash said after Sussex announced his contract had been extended. "From a personal point of view I need to continue to score heavily in all forms to help Sussex win trophies and to push my claims for further honours. This is alongside the hard work I am putting in on my bowling to add further strength to my game."

"Chris has become a very reliable part of the team in all forms of the game," Mark Robinson, Sussex's professional cricket manager said. "He is somebody we are looking to build the club around long term."

Comments have now been closed for this article

  • Tigg on November 9, 2011, 9:42 GMT

    Great news for Sussex. Nash is a quality bat.

  • Tigg on November 9, 2011, 9:42 GMT

    Great news for Sussex. Nash is a quality bat.

  • No featured comments at the moment.

  • Tigg on November 9, 2011, 9:42 GMT

    Great news for Sussex. Nash is a quality bat.