County news October 18, 2012

Joyce confirmed as Sussex captain

ESPNcricinfo staff

Sussex have confirmed their captaincy roles for next season, with Ed Joyce appointed as club captain, alongside Chris Nash as his vice-captain.

Joyce, 34, took over the captaincy midway through the 2012 season as Michael Yardy stood down from the position in LV=County Championship and CB40 cricket. He led the side in four Championship matches and five CB40 games, guiding Sussex to a semi-final in the CB40 competition and a fourth-placed finish in the Championship.

Joyce said: "I hugely enjoyed doing the job for the last few months of the 2012 season and, having gone close this year, I feel very strongly we can bring some silverware back to Hove next year.

"With Murray Goodwin moving on and Rory Hamilton-Brown re-signing, the team will be slightly in transition next year. But it should also be a very exciting time for the club with perhaps some more opportunities for the younger members of the squad to show what they can do. I'm really looking forward to helping these guys develop."

• Oldsedcopian on October 19, 2012, 18:50 GMT

Shridharan and CricketMaan....what has that got to do with an article about Sussex re-appointing Ed Joyce as captain? Should I post on your boards regretting that the New Delhi Darevils, or whatever, never recruited Jason Lewry?

• Shridharan.S on October 19, 2012, 8:58 GMT

Some Indian players should play County Cricket in the next season.

• CricketMaan on October 18, 2012, 13:01 GMT

I hope some Indian players sign up for county especially when counties are talent hunting (i know often BCCI does not allow them). Yound Indian cricketers needs at least one season of hard cricket in County. It certainly did the magic for Zak, Sreesanth, Irfan to make a comeback. Even Ohja enjoyed his short stint. I imagine the likes of Umesh Yadav, Mukund, Dhawan, Vijay, Shammi Ahmed, Harmeet, Chand all playing for India at some stage and a county stint would do wonders

• Oldsedcopian on October 19, 2012, 18:50 GMT

• Shridharan.S on October 19, 2012, 8:58 GMT

Some Indian players should play County Cricket in the next season.

• CricketMaan on October 18, 2012, 13:01 GMT

• No featured comments at the moment.

• CricketMaan on October 18, 2012, 13:01 GMT

• Shridharan.S on October 19, 2012, 8:58 GMT

Some Indian players should play County Cricket in the next season.

• Oldsedcopian on October 19, 2012, 18:50 GMT