Australia v England, 4th Test, Melbourne, 3rd day December 28, 2010

England's understated craftsman

shares 20

The battle for the 2010 Ashes was won on the playing fields of Chittagong. That is the extraordinary conclusion that can be drawn from the performance of Tim Bresnan, a man whose unassuming demeanour and appetite for hard labour transformed him into England's weapon of choice for an MCG wicket that lived up to its dour reputation. By the end of a day that he cautiously conceded was his best in England colours, Bresnan had transcended the conditions to bowl England to the brink of their first series win in Australia for 24 years.

That's quite some achievement for a man who, at one stage on this trip, was the squad's fifth-choice seamer, with Ajmal Shahzad close to a call-up at Adelaide, and Chris Tremlett eventually plumped for in Perth. Today, however, he became the go-to man - a bowler with the stamina, skill and accuracy to make something from next to nothing on a wicket offering little swing for James Anderson and no reward for an excellent spell of bang-it-in old-ball bowling from Chris Tremlett.

"We've had a good day of Test cricket," said Bresnan, with habitual modesty. "We've done a lot of hard work, hopefully we'll do the rest tomorrow and wrap up this win. I don't know if I've played a major part, but we've bowled well again, bowled well in partnerships, and it doesn't matter who really takes the wickets, it just happens today is my day. It's a very good feeling."

It suits Bresnan's style to be under-estimated, because beyond the flat Castleford vowels lies a serious competitor, and one who has been at the forefront of England's thoughts ever since his unstinting performances on the deathly flat decks of Bangladesh back in March. Though he claimed just seven wickets at 32.28 in the two Tests, his stamina alone in sapping humidity and on soul-destroying surfaces impressed Andy Flower, who recognised the value of a player who would never allow himself to hide behind excuses.

"You use the conditions you get given," said Bresnan. "You go around the world and you get these wickets and you're expected to do a job on them. I'm not saying this one is anywhere near as slow and has less bounce than Bangladesh, because when it kisses through it kisses through nicely and you could actually bowl a bouncer on it. But today the pitch wasn't doing a great deal, so we had to rely on our skill, and the abrasiveness that came into play."

That was very much the case on a pudding of a pitch against Victoria a fortnight ago, where Bresnan was the only England seamer to claim a wicket in 78 overs. Despite that, he maintained his discipline at all costs, attacked the stumps with a hint of reverse swing on a still-lush outfield, and conceded his runs at barely three an over. It was all the evidence that Flower needed to give the promising but expensive Steven Finn a break from the front line, and bring in a man who could not have been more ready for action.

"The way we've been preparing, especially me and the lads who haven't been playing in the series, we've played the warm-up games and prepared as if we were going to play," said Bresnan. "Andy sat us all down and said: 'Listen, I'd be very surprised if we go with the same team through five Tests'. Obviously with it being so hard fought and close together, we knew there would be a chance for at least two or three of us playing, so we had to prepare as if we were playing."

Subtlety is not a trait that one associates with a personality as blunt as Bresnan, whose reaction on seeing the MCG for the first time a fortnight ago was to say: "S'alright. Headingley's bigger..." But he's a tradesman who knows how to use his tools, and the manner in which he chiselled England into a formidable position in both innings could not have been more perfectly carried out. All told in this contest he has the figures of 28-13-51-5, figures that any fast bowler in Ashes history would be proud to sport on their CV.

In the first innings, Bresnan's alliance with Tremlett forced the crucial early breakthroughs after two dropped catches had taken the venom out of Anderson's first spell. Second-time around, England were haemorrhaging runs at more than five an over when he entered the attack in the 11th over. It was hardly a calamity, seeing as they had helped themselves to a first-innings lead of 415 - an Ashes record for a team batting second - but nevertheless, there was a job to be done and it was undertaken with matter-of-fact precision and a significant dollop of skill.

It took him no time at all to knuckle down to locate his length, which barely changes from one pitch to the next - full, flat and zeroing onto the base of middle stump. He's quicker than he is given credit for - the MCG speed gun reckoned he was the fastest of England's three pacemen in both innings - and he has the sort of stamina that invites the usual clich├ęs about Boxer the Animal Farm carthorse. But each of his three wickets in 18 deliveries were created by a subtle variation on a theme - hooping reverse swing to sucker Shane Watson; fractionally low bounce for the "dirty drag-on" that bowled Ricky Ponting, and a curvy stick-in-the-pitch outswinger to lure Mike Hussey into a fatal poke to cover.

If England's own supporters under-estimated Bresnan, then it's hardly a surprise. He barely featured in his Test debut at Lord's in May 2009, a match made memorable by the four wickets in seven balls that were scalped by his fellow new boy, Graham Onions, and though he followed up with a three-for at the fag-end of the following match at Chester-le-Street, the game was long since dead in every respect, with the crowds absent and an innings victory in the bag.

And yet, if there's any team that knows Bresnan's capabilities, it is Australia, who not only faced and failed against his heavy balls in the World Twenty20 final in Barbados back in May, but also watched him play a starring role in the 3-2 ODI series win in England back in June. His bowling on that occasion may have gone under-rewarded, but his cool under fire enabled him to withstand a frantic finale to the third match at Old Trafford, where his 14 not out from 15 balls enabled England to scramble to a series-sealing one-wicket win.

"I do like being under the pump, I think," said Bresnan. "I do like the big occasion, and I do like being under pressure - I think it brings out the best in me - so why wouldn't it be on Boxing Day in Australia?"

"It didn't take me by surprise," said Watson. "I've played with him in one-day cricket for the past year, really. He can bowl very well. He swings the new ball, he gets a bit of bounce as well, and the way he bowled today was brilliant. It was what I expected he was going to do, because he's a high quality player and a high quality bowler. His first spell was very good, the ball was starting to go reverse. The spell this afternoon was very highly skilled. It was a lot of hard work out there."

It wasn't so long ago that Bresnan was the butt of a few jokes for the size of his waistline, and on one unfortunate occasion, he got himself into trouble with a feisty response to a jibe from a supporter on Twitter. But the song that the Barmy Army devised for him in Bangladesh - "we've had a Garlic Nan, we've had a butter nan... but our favourite Nan ... is Tim Bres-nan..." - did not get an airing today, perhaps because it hardly seemed relevant for such a frugal performance.

And that Spartan attitude extended to his assessment of an incredibly significant day's play for England. While Watson admitted that the Ashes had already been lost by Australia, Bresnan kept ploughing the same furrow that has kept both him and the squad as a whole battle-ready all series long. "We've still got the three wickets to get, so I'll describe that tomorrow - if we do it," he said. "We've still got a lot of hard work to do."

Andrew Miller is UK editor of Cricinfo.

• 5wombats on December 29, 2010, 17:02 GMT

Good article. As I write this, England have beaten Australia by an Innings and 157 to retain the Urn. WELL DONE ENGLAND and WELL DONE BRESNAN with 2nd Inns figures of 4/50 and match figures of 6/75. I have watched this England team develop and I have to confess to being pleasantly surprised by this performance by Bresnan - so I agree with you @Finn92. I am now a convert! In the first Innings Bresnan was deadly accurate - 2/25 & only a couple of loose ones in 13 overs. But in the 2nd his 50/4 in 21 ovs was revelatory - crucially nipping out the in form Watson and Hussey on a flat pitch. I agree with Miller; "The battle for the 2010 Ashes was won on the playing fields of Chittagong". In many ways this is dead right. Good teams always have someone who'll dry up an end or dig out a wicket or two for you when nothing is happening and Bresnan is the man. Resting Finn - the leading series wicket taker, for Bresnan was an inspired move. Even @Marcio noticed. Well done Tim Bresnan!!

• mmoosa on December 28, 2010, 21:24 GMT

England have certainly got the blueprint to trouble any Aussie team and the 2005 series was the model.Pacemen capable of moving the ball at good pace combined with accuracy.Many past teams from various countries have been seduced by the speed merchants and been thrashed by Aussie batters thriving on the hook/cut.This English team have been tactically astute and very professional-the best team in world cricket currently.

• calcric on December 28, 2010, 20:22 GMT

I aint a supporter of any of these two teams but boy i have enjoyed this ashes series...some riveting cricket i tell you....that spell of bowling by Bresnan prior to lunch in tandem with anderson and then swann was of the highest quality test bowling i have seen for a while then followed up by tremlett... i did not see the after tea play but i had a feeling it was all set up by the pre lunch work...My my England really have become a force in cricket.... i am looking at the India /SOuth Africa series as well and i must sat that world cricket is in for some fun times ...really good test cricket... i tell you Australia is about fourth i think ..just about fourth right now.

• PrinceOfSalem on December 28, 2010, 18:46 GMT

I see that of late.. all English players are treated like giants and tobe legends. For God sake.. Bresnen has just taken 2 or 3 wickets and already there is a separate article for him. Com'on guyz. We all know how Australia are struggling. England.. just wait and see when u play India, SouthAfrica, Sri Lanka.. and then we will know how good the Bresnen's, Trott's really are..please dont hype .. just because they are english and because they are playing Ashes

• on December 28, 2010, 18:41 GMT

Sidebottom was much better bowler than broad. I am happy that Bresnan has clicked. It will give healthy options for Eng selectors, but with some headache...may be they will toss coin except for Jimmy... :-)

• on December 28, 2010, 18:18 GMT

I can finally sit back relax and watch the England bowlers and team develop into a stronger unit while Australia develop into a side much like the England of 06-late 08, one that may win the odd series here and there with some decent players but actually don't have anything going for them. Also Finn92 is crazy.

• on December 28, 2010, 18:14 GMT

I didnt rate Bresnan as a bowler, but wow! He was superb yesterday, I think Broad will struggle to get back in the team in May, as Finn arguably could be in the side as well.

• Red37 on December 28, 2010, 17:46 GMT

Following the match as usual on Cricinfo here in Canada. I have long had high hopes for Tim who just happens to be my great nephew. Thanks for the coverage. Enjoyed the "flat Castleford vowels" comment of my youth where I played my cricket (along with school in Pontefract). He has certainly elevated his stature with this performance and although one day doesn't justify wholesale praise, he has earned his success through hard work at every level (remember his performances at the two u-19 world cups in which he represented his country). As an aside, I cannot resist the old adage about "goes Yorkshire, so goes England!!"

• Trickstar on December 28, 2010, 17:34 GMT

@uglyhunK What a load of rubbish, Broad as almost single handedly won England 2 important test this past 16 months, at the deciding Oval test, last Ashes where he dismantled the OZ top order and at Durban in SA where he did the same. He is the kind of bowler that when he gets it right he can run through a side. Even in this years Ashes, even though he didn't get the wickets he deserved, he created a ton of pressure by bowling loads of dot balls and he only went for 2 per over.

• Raaakz on December 28, 2010, 17:11 GMT

England now have pace resources in abundance... Anderson, Broad, Tremlett, Bresnan, Finn, Shehzad and Onions... WOW! can have two test teams with those...

• 5wombats on December 29, 2010, 17:02 GMT

• mmoosa on December 28, 2010, 21:24 GMT

• calcric on December 28, 2010, 20:22 GMT

• PrinceOfSalem on December 28, 2010, 18:46 GMT

• on December 28, 2010, 18:41 GMT

• on December 28, 2010, 18:18 GMT

• on December 28, 2010, 18:14 GMT

• Red37 on December 28, 2010, 17:46 GMT

• Trickstar on December 28, 2010, 17:34 GMT

• Raaakz on December 28, 2010, 17:11 GMT

• Finn92 on December 28, 2010, 16:20 GMT

I will put my hands up and say that I really didn't rate Bresnan as a test bowler, I thought he was a steady one-day bowler who may get the occasional five day match but he's really impressed me this match. Tough thing for England now is selecting their first choice bowlers and for me Broad should be looking over his shoulder a little, Jimmy, Tremlett, Bresnan, Broad, Finn and Shahzad are all very capable and it may prove a headache over the next year who they do go for especially with James Harris and Chris Woakes looking very good. Finn may find himself the unlucky one as he's still very young and he'll be around for a long time. And personally I'm not a big fan of choosing a bowler because of his batting as his job is to get wickets and any runs he gets are a bonus.

• jupiterlaw on December 28, 2010, 16:02 GMT

To tell you how bad Australia are, England gave them a snif at the WACA (not that they earned it), in an effort to revive the Ashes, yet they went to the MCG and showed no stomach for the fight; now they are about to go belly up. ooooooops, the fat lady has commenced her rendition "Oh Ponting......".

• Tlotoxl on December 28, 2010, 14:44 GMT

At Brisbane whch was a batting paradise Broad bowled 40 overs only conceding 2.25 runs per over, very good work..

• 2.14istherunrate on December 28, 2010, 14:33 GMT

A very good piece. It was unusual bowling, exploring angles,and in the circumstances very clever. It certainly fooled Holding, and myself for that matter,but this pitch is fairly unremitting,or dour as described above. I liked Swann's duels with Ponting and Clarke too-very little spin but a lot of dogfight guile. I have reservations about drop in pitches .Not that the result on this one will be at all unwanted- a gobsmacking innings and 200 or thereabouts victory. In a 4 man attack every one has to play a part and here they have with distinction.

• Marcio on December 28, 2010, 13:19 GMT

Interesting to note that every time England brought a new person into the team it worked brilliantly, and every time Australia brought in a new person it failed terribly. Just goes to show that it is a team thing.

• bumsonseats on December 28, 2010, 12:30 GMT

i agree Gollo81. broad is a very important member of the team, he has a great feel for cricket and some people seem to forget hes still a young man. dpk

• uglyhunK on December 28, 2010, 12:24 GMT

@Gollo81 - I think you missed my point. No denying it's a team effort. But, I can't broad doing what Tremlett did in 3rd and 4th test.

• Gollo81 on December 28, 2010, 11:14 GMT

uglyhunk - absurd comment and showing total lack of awareness of how Englands current success is due to a squad, not just 11 stars

• anver777 on December 28, 2010, 10:31 GMT

A hard working cricketer who always gives his 100% with the bat or bowl whenever he's got chance.....nice to see Watson admiring Tim Bresnan's bowling abilities !!!!!

• uglyhunK on December 28, 2010, 9:59 GMT

Glad Broad is injured midway through the series. He is the most hyped bowler and least effective bowler in the world.

• No featured comments at the moment.

• uglyhunK on December 28, 2010, 9:59 GMT