ICC World Twenty20, 2007-08 September 4, 2007

Bosman to miss ICC World Twenty20

Cricinfo staff



Loots Bosman has been advised six weeks of rest because of a back injury © Getty Images

Injured South African opener Loots Bosman has been forced to withdraw from the ICC World Twenty20. Announcing the unfortunate news, Norman Arendse, the president of Cricket South Africa, said a replacement would be named only after it has been approved by the ICC's technical committee.

"The medical report left us with no alternative," Arendse said. "Loots has had a stand-alone record in this form of the game in South African cricket and he was desperately keen to play.

"But we have to look at the bigger picture, particularly as it affects his long-term career. Neurological injuries can take on career-threatening proportions and, had Loots got hurt again in the tournament, he could have been put out of action for far longer than the six weeks' rest recommended by our team of medical specialists."

Bosman had hurt his lower back while attempting a catch during the ODI series against Zimbabwe last month. He has an impressive record in domestic Twenty20 competitions with a strike rate of nearly 150 and is one of only three South Africans to have scored a century in this format.

Comments