Middlesbrough Cricket Club were formed in 1875, but it wasn't until 1932 that they moved to Aklam where the 12-acre venue houses not only a large cricket ground but also two rugby pictches. Yorkshire played their first Championship match in 1956 when 9243 spectators attended the first and second days. They continued to play there until 1996 when the county opted to centre almost all games at Headingley.
The main pavilion and most of the banking were constructed in 1953. The record attendance was in 1967 when 13,100 watched the Championship match against Warwickshire.