Rogers out of Sabina Park Test
Australia opening batsman Chris Rogers has been formally ruled out of the second Test against the West Indies at Sabina Park as he continues to battle what is now a more stubborn case of a concussion than had been expected.
Rogers was a peripheral figure at Australia's main training session before the match on Tuesday and team doctor Peter Brukner said Rogers was yet to return to 100% fitness following a blow to the helmet from Dominican net bowler Anderson Burton leading into the first Test in Roseau.
"Chris has improved but he is still not 100 percent so we are restricting his training. Therefore he is unavailable for selection for the second Test," Brukner said. "While most concussions resolve within a week there is a significant number who remain symptomatic and require a longer period of recovery. Unfortunately Chris is in this category.
"We will continue to monitor his progress and hopefully it will not be too long before he is back to full training."
Brukner's diagnosis means a decision on how to balance the squad's various batting resources will be deferred until the weeks leading into the Ashes campaign in England, with Shaun Marsh to get a second audition at the top of the order and last week's debut centurion Adam Voges set to maintain his berth at No. 5.
The chances of twin spin through Nathan Lyon and Fawad Ahmed appear slim, as the Sabina Park pitch has grass comparable to that seen in Dominica. The practice wickets are also on the sporting side, allowing the Australian pace brigade of Mitchell Johnson, Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood and Peter Siddle to hurry up several of their batting counterparts in the nets.
While the vegetation will likely be shaved back before Thursday's first ball, only the barest of surfaces would dissuade Australia from their recently successful three quicks, one spinner and Shane Watson policy.
Daniel Brettig is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo. @danbrettig