West Indies v New Zealand, 2nd ODI, Jamaica

Dwayne Smith relishing top-order role

ESPNcricinfo staff

July 7, 2012

Dwayne Smith hit an unbeaten 65 off 77, West Indies v New Zealand, 1st ODI, Kingston, July 5, 2012
Dwayne Smith made an unbeaten 65 in 77 balls in the first ODI © WICB

Dwayne Smith, the West Indies allrounder, has said he is adapting well to this role at the top of the order, having decided to "give himself a chance" after moving up several rungs in the batting line-up. Smith has had a good run of late while batting in the top three, with three half-centuries in five internationals starting with the tour of England. The latest was in the first ODI against New Zealand in Jamaica, where he made an unbeaten 65 to help seal a comfortable victory.

"I made a decision to move to the top order to give myself a chance," Smith said on the eve of the second ODI on Saturday. "The selectors have put their faith in me and I have received a lot of support from everyone around. I am relaxed and in a good frame of mind."

Smith, who averages 17.72 in ODIs, was relied on to get quick runs batting in the middle order. As a No. 3, he said, he was now also expected to build an innings and bat longer. "I believe I am much more than just a six-hitter," Smith said. I know once I look to get myself in and build an innings, I can make-up at the back-end of the innings.

"I'm more experienced now and have a good understanding of what is required. I know my role in the team and that is primarily to dig in and get good runs on the board. I can clear the boundary, but I also want to show I can play quality innings and can get runs consistently."

Smith began his international career in 2004 and scored a century on debut against South Africa in the Cape Town Test. He has since played 10 Tests and 80 ODIs, and hasn't quite managed to cement his place. He has, however, had more success as a Twenty20 cricketer, representing Sussex, Khulna Royal Bengals and Mumbai Indians among others.

Posted by VivGilchrist on (July 8, 2012, 7:03 GMT)

Might even be worth partenering him up in the Tests with Gayle. No one else has made the opening berth there own. Smith is in great form.

Posted by SNIFFLEATHER on (July 7, 2012, 23:23 GMT)

Lets hope Smith is another "late bloomer" a la Samuels...

@SIRSOBERS...

Indeed, when the Windies can field an attack led by Roach in the tests, it should bode well. Hoping to see Delorn Johnson make his test debut soon too, he is potentially something special.

Posted by SNIFFLEATHER on (July 7, 2012, 23:16 GMT)

Congratulations to Chris Gayle! 20 ODI 100's, passing the great Brian Lara's tally of 19 today during the West Indies victory over New Zealand. 2-0 after two games...dare I say it but, we look like we are gonna win this series comfortably...let us hope that this young, developing team gets the taste for victory!

Posted by BRUTALANALYST on (July 7, 2012, 17:12 GMT)

@mancricbd AGREE 100% this feels like the first time in what feels like 10 yrs now W.I have had the full side together, when Roach and Tayler come back into the mix as well as Shiv for test the side is Incredibly strong in all formats. Lookin at the WI A WIN over INDIA A to shows there is some very promising youngsters coming up to.

Posted by BRUTALANALYST on (July 7, 2012, 17:09 GMT)

He should be opening i said it stop moving him around Simmons i never an opener Gayle and SMith should open ODI and T20 and It might be nice to even see Smith back in the test side to give some experience amongst the youth now Sarwan is out.

Posted by   on (July 7, 2012, 15:07 GMT)

I believe we should give this guy a chance in all formats. This is what are are missing, some experience at the top. The young guys are indeed talented but it;s hard to try and learn or improve at the highest level, top class bowlers won't give you that room. So hopefully they give him a chance. I believe this WI team will do great things once they get the mix right. I love Sammy as a player and captain, he been once the main reasons the side is on the up but i have to admit he kinda weakens the bowling in test eve though he takes wickets I believe he can be captain of the ODI and T20 and we find a captain for the tests but i am willing to give him a chance. He has done well and i hope Dwayne gets a chance as well. WE too many players in limbo who i believe can make a difference.

Posted by   on (July 7, 2012, 15:04 GMT)

While I take his word, I think that he can be a bit rash. Once he could remedy this I think that he should do well.

Posted by   on (July 7, 2012, 14:55 GMT)

Great talent, remember his 100 against SA in SA in a test match in 2004.

Posted by mar2000 on (July 7, 2012, 14:46 GMT)

SMITTY, i always new you had it in you to score "BIG" , now is your chance to prove it . Go make WI proud .

Posted by mancricbd on (July 7, 2012, 14:18 GMT)

I heard lotls of ppl talked about wi didnt do well in england. Talkxabout one team even in top ranked done well in english conditions. Australia are about to loose their 3rd odi today. score is 169/7in 47th over. I think at least wi posted good runs on the board everytime they played. So forget about the england tour. I think current wi team will go a long way. There are class bo the line.

Posted by bajah on (July 7, 2012, 13:42 GMT)

Hope that u will be able to maintain that form and cement your place on the West Indies Team.

Posted by tongue on (July 7, 2012, 13:18 GMT)

Praise to Sammy, Gibson and WICB for Smith's good scores

Posted by tongue on (July 7, 2012, 13:16 GMT)

No good Smith. Sammy, Gibson and WICB influenced Smith's good scores.

Posted by   on (July 7, 2012, 12:52 GMT)

A much improved player, one of my favourites in the team. Certainly a future T20 captain. Wish him well. Just love to c him bat & field.

ESPNcricinfo staffClose