Pakistan in West Indies 2013

'Been a leader since I started playing' - Bravo

ESPNcricinfo staff

July 13, 2013

Darren Bravo and Darren Sammy walked off dejected, South Africa v West Indies, Champions Trophy, Group B, Cardiff, June 14, 2013
Dwayne Bravo took over from Darren Sammy ahead of the Champions Trophy © PA Photos
Players/Officials: Dwayne Bravo
Series/Tournaments: Pakistan tour of West Indies
Teams: West Indies

Dwayne Bravo has said it is too early for him to think about what effect leadership may have on his personal performance after he took over from Darren Sammy as the West Indies ODI captain. The five-match series against Pakistan which starts on Sunday will only be Bravo's third after he was handed the captaincy ahead of the Champions Trophy, but he admitted he need to do better with bat and ball.

"Since I took over the captaincy, I have only played a few matches and I did not get much opportunity," Bravo said, according to the Guyana Chronicle. "I even missed a couple of games through injury and the one match when I was banned. But personally, I am not going to actually analyse my own performance as yet, whether the captaincy is going to affect me or not.

"As I said in previous interviews, I really need to actually step up a bit more with my batting, bowling and fielding, in order for the team to do well, since the team requires me to perform at my best and once I can do that, the team and by extension West Indies cricket will benefit some more."

Bravo has had previous leadership experience, having led West Indies in an ODI series in South Africa in 2008 after then captain Chris Gayle pulled out with an injury. He also took the reins against Zimbabwe at home earlier this year after Sammy was rested. Becoming regular captain now wasn't a massive change, Bravo said. "I have been a leader in the team since I started playing, so this new role is not much of a difference. It just makes the challenge more mental for me, but I think I have the right number of guys with the experience to help me through the tough period."

West Indies had a mixed Champions Trophy, a win and a loss followed by a rain-hit tie that led to their exit. They started promisingly with wins over India and Sri Lanka in the Jamaica leg of the tri-series but lost to both sides in Trinidad to lose out on a place in the final. Bravo asked people to show more faith in his players, saying they had performed well in the past.

"I am comfortable with the squad and I am comfortable with each and every player. I know a lot of players had poor form in the last series. But they are all good players and we know what they did in the past and there is not much I can say to them, but just to make sure they believe in themselves. I have to make sure they continue to back their ability.

"They have done great for West Indies in the past and people must not forget that. We all know some persons have short minds in the Caribbean, but just remember the great things they have done for us over the past eight years or so and I am looking forward to the guys who have not done well in the last series, to come forward and do well."

West Indies play the first two ODIs against Pakistan in Guyana followed by three in St Lucia before the tour concludes with two Twenty20 in St Vincent.

Posted by lyl67 on (July 15, 2013, 9:26 GMT)

Actions speaks louder than words. Ask your self shouuld you be leading the West Indies?

Posted by Twinkie on (July 14, 2013, 20:22 GMT)

My position has always been that an old Chanderpaul is better than most of what we see from the younger players. If we want to give younger people a chance there should be several positions available eg. Chris Gayle's position should be vacant soon, also Kieron Pollard's. These players seem to have been worked out by most bowlers around the world. Lara used to hit the nets and correct any bad habits that bowlers managed to exploit. Are these guys doing that? The Pakistani bowlers are very good so I expected there to be problems but my problem is that the Windies shoulders always slump too early on the field as soon as somebody manages a few lusty blows. Afridi's wicket can fall at any time. There is usually no need for panic or depair. They should have kept their shoulders up and kept on coming. That's one thing we can learn from the Aussie attitude. Just keep bowling just keep bowling just keep bowling bowling bowling! What do we do? WE BOWL!

Posted by Drkishorshetty on (July 14, 2013, 5:27 GMT)

Replace Gayle with Keiron Powell And between Dwnne Bravo and Pollard only one should be in. And Ramdin less said the better , what is he doing in international cricket , not worth ( sorry to say this, in my opinion he won't stand upto Viv's foot level.)

Posted by   on (July 14, 2013, 4:34 GMT)

WICB is afraid of dropping guys like Bravo and Pollard because they see these guys do a little well and HOPE they do good for WI. In a sense these players are making the selectors look bad. Pollard scored a century against Australia and from this you can this is a guy to invest in and he in fact a good cricketer. I hope he comes well. Think about the makeup of a successful side. You need 3 solid middle order batsman to grind it out. Chanderpaul, Deonarine and Sarwan comes to mind. Think about Darren Bravo and Samuels. If they are discussing batting over dinner...they literally have no one really to compare notes. So my 11 is Gayle, Charles, Sarwan, Shiv, Samuels, Pollard, Sammy, Ramdin, Narine, Rampaul, Roach/Best. I drop Bravo because his has not batted and make significant runs in a while. I choose Sammy because he is the MOST improved WI cricketer in the last 4 years. I choose Ramdin because you don't want to drop someone like Kohli early :) SPECIALIST KEEPER PLEASE!!

Posted by   on (July 14, 2013, 2:32 GMT)

As utopian and idealistic as it is, I surely wished the media would abstain from interviewing WI players and coaches before matches. As a WI who sadomasochistically supports the WI team, getting entry into these guys' thoughts is as hopeful and enjoyable as watching their impulsively deceptive performances. All routine, however.

Posted by tanweeralam on (July 13, 2013, 22:26 GMT)

Interesting to see Bravo declaring himself as leader but he hasn't looked comfortable when situation is tight. I doubt him last long.

Posted by shawnboomboomdeodat on (July 13, 2013, 21:18 GMT)

Bravo is a good allround cricketer but i Sammy has improved alot over the years as captain and i'm not sure that Bravo can bring out his best game as captain. Has he learn anything from MS Dhoni after spending close to 2 months with CSK. Devon smith is an empty spot in the team. He is only a regional star. We definitely needs Shiv, also bring back Nash.. We need hard working cricketers and not show boys like Samuels, Bravo,Pollard and yes you Gayle .. My team in order: 1) Charles wk 2) Gayle 3) Chanderpaul 4) Darren Bravo 5) Sameuls 6) Dwyne Bravo /Dwyne smith 7)Brendan Nash 8) Sammy/Pollard 9) Roach 10) Rampaul/Tino 11) Naine..We need to have competition for certain spots.

Posted by Chaudry_Cricket on (July 13, 2013, 19:00 GMT)

Am a pakistani and really looking forward to this series. 1 question I would like to ask the west indies fans is how come chanderpaul is not selected in odi he is a quality batsman perfect for the number 3 spot. I would love to have someone like him in our batting line up.

Posted by   on (July 13, 2013, 18:59 GMT)

West Indies troubles will continue as long as they keep selecting a team full of T20 specialists to play fifty overs cricket. More stable players like Chanderpaul, Deonarine, Kirk Edwards and Brendan Nash (who just hit 199 for Kent) are consistently left out in favour of IPL types. There needs to be some balance, which is being disregarded. Pollard and Gayle don't seem to have the temperament at the moment for anything longer than twenty overs. Watch the Indian batsmen and you see the stark contrast! The Indians work their way into the innings slowly and deliberately, like Mohamed Ali. The West Indians come out swinging, hoping to knock their opponent out, but get knocked out themselves. A little more brains and let brawn would go a long way.

Posted by   on (July 13, 2013, 17:55 GMT)

Bravo is a good player and leader but despite of all the criticism and everything else I will rate Sammy above him. Sammy seems to have been under the hood because of criticism but in my opinion he has always lead from the front. He has taken his team to such a glory that would not have been possible under any other captain. His leadership always encouraged his team. I personally think that he has been wasted by cricket west indies.

Posted by   on (July 13, 2013, 16:13 GMT)

Personally mr. Bravo I like you as a cricketer, but this captaincy is to big for you. I don't think you have the mental capacity for that responsibility. You are a little below average all rounder, what do you expect of your journey as a West Indies captain? This is beyond you please I am begging you give it up Bravo, stick to your all round position. People in the Caribbean dont have short minds, we know West Indies cricket, we have not forgotten nothing about you bravo. This position exceeds your capabilities, but any way all the best for West Indies cricket. Let's focus on beating Pakistan and may everyone do well for the sake of West Indies cricket.

Posted by Navin84 on (July 13, 2013, 16:12 GMT)

What has Devon Smith done to be in the squad compare to Chanderpaul. What is logic behind Chanderpaul not in the squad? Because he is old? He is playing 40 overs and T20 along with 4 days for Derbyshire right now.

Posted by Riddymon on (July 13, 2013, 15:25 GMT)

Even though I'd prefer Sammy as captain, I believe that it doesn't matter who is in charge. At this point, until all players can perform consistently with the bat (consistently well that is), we will continue to have the same struggles It is a rarity that the the top order clicks in unison or worst case scenario, the middle order clicks in unison, although it can be said that the middle order has bailed windies out of embarrassing situations on a number of occasions. Definitely more consistency from Chris Gayle and USEFUL contributions from Samuels, Pollard, Devon Smith (if he's playing) who have done nothing over the past two series. How can pollard be made captain in bravo's absence and all he's been doing is walking quick circles between the dressing room and the wicket? MORE CONSISTENCY WINDIES!!

Posted by bajanborn on (July 13, 2013, 15:04 GMT)

Please Mr Bravo , will you tell cricket fans especially West Indians what Mr.Pollard and Mr. Devon Smith have done for West Indies cricket . I know what Mr Pollard has done in IPL cricket and other 20 overs matches mostly for Trinidad at various times and as for Devon Smith state a few matches where he has contributed in a meaningful way .Remember Sir that a vast number of cricket fans keep statistics . My advice to you Mr Bravo is to drop both of them and get a genuine batsman to bat at # 6.That position is causing problems in the batting lineup for you cannot/has not filled it successfully.

Posted by simonviller on (July 13, 2013, 15:01 GMT)

"We all know some persons have short minds in the Caribbean " : case and point [ Dwayne Bravo ] . Speak for yourself Sir !!! We haven't forgotten you and likely never wil l, if you know what I mean .

Posted by Windies2Dheart on (July 13, 2013, 13:33 GMT)

if there's one good thing happening here, its the silencing of the anti-darren-sammy bunch. Many claimed that sammy's place was only because he was captain, and that bravo, russel etc were better picks. Lets hope that we win this series convincingly.

ps. Dropping ramdinwas long overdue.

ESPNcricinfo staffClose
Tour Results
West Indies v Pakistan at Kingstown - Jul 28, 2013
Pakistan won by 11 runs
West Indies v Pakistan at Kingstown - Jul 27, 2013
Pakistan won by 2 wickets (with 0 balls remaining)
West Indies v Pakistan at Gros Islet - Jul 24, 2013
Pakistan won by 4 wickets (with 1 ball remaining)
West Indies v Pakistan at Gros Islet - Jul 21, 2013
Pakistan won by 6 wickets (with 6 balls remaining) (D/L method)
West Indies v Pakistan at Gros Islet - Jul 19, 2013