West Indies news May 13, 2017

Dwayne Bravo targets CPL return

ESPNcricinfo staff
31

Dwayne Bravo suffered a hamstring injury during his Big Bash League stint © Cricket Australia/Getty Images

Allrounder Dwayne Bravo is targeting a return to competitive cricket in the 2017 Caribbean Premier League in August, having spent the first half of the year recovering from a hamstring injury.

Bravo had suffered the injury during his stint with Melbourne Renegades in December last year and underwent surgery. He missed the Pakistan Super League in February, then joined his IPL franchise Gujarat Lions in India but did not play as his rehabilitation continued.

Bravo said he would play a friendly match for the opening of the Brian Lara Cricket Academy this month, but wanted to ensure he did not rush into full-time cricket without regaining full fitness. He also reiterated that he remained available for selection in the West Indies T20 squad, the only format which he plays for the team.

"My next competitive cricket will be for CPL. I am playing the game for Brian Lara on Friday," he told line&length, a Barbados-based network. "I'll bowl two overs, maybe, just to see how it is getting back. International cricket is different. I want to give myself the best chance of coming back and playing the way I usually play, which is give 100% and do all the crazy things I do. I am not going to rush into anything. My target is to keep training and get my entire body in shape.

"I have improved a lot. I am closer to playing now than I was three-four months ago. The surgery itself was successful. It's just a matter of continuing my rehab programme. I don't want to rush things, it's a very severe injury. I want to make sure I am feeling good and comfortable in my mind.

"I am available for T20 selection, it's the only format in which I am available for selection. So if selected for T20s, I will play. I will always have the passion and the drive to play for West Indies. I am only limited in being able to play one format and those are things that I don't have control over."

Having last played an ODI for West Indies in October 2014, Bravo was almost certain he would not play the format again unless the selection structure for the West Indies team changes. Currently, players need to participate in the Regional Super50 List A competition to be available for selection in the ODI side.

"I am not going to give up the contracts that I have around the world to come back and play in the domestic tournament," he said. "I did it already and I got burned. I am not going to allow the same mistake to happen again. I gave up half of my contract in BBL in 2015 to come and play and make myself eligible for selection for the World Cup and the Sri Lanka tour, but I was not selected.

"Playing in those tournaments doesn't guarantee you selection. It makes you available but it doesn't guarantee selection. I am past the stage where I will give up certain amount of money on my contract and make myself available without any guarantee. If the structure changes or something different happens, then yes."

Comments have now been closed for this article

  • Sam896luc on May 18, 2017, 15:47 GMT

    While I hear the criticism of Bravo by many, I think that we have to look at the big picture. These players only have 5 to 10 years in their careers and they also have to think about their future. The WICB never had a retirement program for our former greats and look at the financial condition of many of our players when they retire today. How many of our retired players are hired by the various boards to maximize their knowledge? Simmons makes a few errors and he's immediately fired. Remember when Bravo was injured during the first part of his career? He had to find medical treatment on his own. As far as I see, our WICB treats our players as fodder for money. Now when they decide to take advantage of market forces the players are called all kinds of names. If Lloyd and his men did not stand firm against the same colonial mentality of the WICB in the 1970s and 80s we may have never had the greatest teams. Other Boards utilize their former players better than us. We need to copy them

  • Metman on May 17, 2017, 0:04 GMT

    @ RANDY BRIDGEMAN......well said Randy ...them Trinis don't like to hear the TRUTH. He should have told his brother that 4 million rupees to play in the IPL was much less than what Cameron offered him. Went after the million right ? and who can forget the SAME Dwayne Bravo who said he wanted a break from test cricket AFTER SAMMY WAS REAPPOINTED as CAPTAIN....ONLY became interested again AFTER SAMMY WAS REPLACED and PHIL SIMMONS APPOINTED AS COACH....as though people were not aware of that stunt. Yes..make yourself available...but ya en gine get PICK...it is as simple as that.

  • Paceman49 on May 15, 2017, 11:55 GMT

    It is ironic that people like Randy Ridgeman seem to always want to berate the players.They always have one side of the story.What about when players get hurt playing for W.I they are not taken care of by WICB.WICB are quick to fine and suspend players for offenses that other countries give warnings or hide to protect their players.Players were not paid six months after a tour.All the administrators get paid on time.Why not make the environment more friendly for all,What has WICB done for a talent like Barath..he has disappeared.

  • Third_slip on May 15, 2017, 8:22 GMT

    At the end of the day there has to be compromise. The board need to be transparent, but at the same time no player should be guaranteed selection. I can't see why players like DJB feel the need to play in every T20 league going. Play in the IPL for sure, the CPL yes and maybe another. They may be lining their pockets but the real losers are West Indies supporters. I'm sure in years to come people like Gayle and DJB will regret the opportunities they squandered to play for WI. So many would give anything to get that chance and they squander it. And no amount of T20 money will be able to turn back the clock!!!

  • Virtual78 on May 15, 2017, 1:45 GMT

    This guys should be 50 over captain at least. Sammy 20 over captain. Oh but wait, the WI cricket board had a 'throw the toys out the pram' moment and sacked them. The same board that's had 4 reports done by independent bodies saying they are not fit for purpose. They do not motivate, lead and neither are they transparent. It's like going to the doctor to fix an ulcer. People thing there is a quick fire way to fix the ulcer, it will just keep coming back under you understand what is causing it. This is like WICB, however, its getting late in the day, Bangladesh and Afgahnistan will overtake us very soon. Thank you for all the happy memories WICB.

  • Riddymon on May 15, 2017, 0:32 GMT

    2CRICFAN57920301 - Our "stars" are the same players that people actually come out to see play whether they bowl in the right spot or not. Our "stars" are the players with more experience than anyone representing west indies right now. Our "stars" were losing..but losing a lot less than our current batch of players. If you're referring to Carlos Brathwaite...the only reason that he went off to play "20-over bash cricket" as you call it is because our selectors for whatever felt that it was the best thing for him..he wasn't selected. Same issue that all the other players are dealing with....it's one thing to refuse national duty to play elsewhere..it's another thing when your own board decides to not select you and your only options are to play sub-standard domestic cricket...or have the chance to rub shoulders with international players around the world and make a lot of money while doing it. Let's not act like we wouldn't make the same decision if we've had the choice.....

  • Coolmckool on May 14, 2017, 23:43 GMT

    Furthermore it should be mandatory that at least 20 percent of fees collected from players for issuance of NOC's be paid to the local asdociation where the players was groomed and perhaps some may even filter down to the club where the players first honed their skills.

  • Coolmckool on May 14, 2017, 23:24 GMT

    Given that money will continue to drive decisioning in W I cricket for both players and administrators for quite some time to come the only decent way to deal with the issue of players' availability/ the Boards eligibility is to inplement a fee structure, say circa 5 - 10 percent for players granted NOC's. Those funds should be earmarked for developmental purposes.

  • cricfan57920301 on May 14, 2017, 12:58 GMT

    In reply to RIDDYMON, It would be helpful to all if you could identify those you consider to be 'stars'. Surely it cannot be those players who cannot manufacture a single in 10 overs or who are incapable of bowling 6 balls consecutively in a designated area. If you are just referring to fielding, then perhaps I can give you a pass, but fielding alone should not guarantee selection to an international term. Other players from other countries can play IPL cricket and still make themselves available for selection for their national teams, why can't ours. Recently you had another player who felt that playing 20-over bash cricket is the best way to improve his stature as an outstanding cricketer. HA, Ha, Joke. Go sit on the bench and play two overs in 3 months. See what type of career you have after that.

  • Calvin Palmer Warbah on May 14, 2017, 10:32 GMT

    Haha let this guy play club twenty cricket for life, he's good only at it.

  • No featured comments at the moment.