West Indies U-19 batsman looks forward to World Cup November 1, 2007

Bravo hopes KFC Cup experience will help in Malaysia

Roger Seepersad



Darren Bravo: "Collins was getting a lot of movement and Edwards was bowling very fast. It was difficult to get them away but the experience was good for us and it came in handy in the other games" © The Nation

Darren Bravo, the West Indies Under-19 batsman, has expressed his disappointment over the Under-19s' poor performance in the recently-concluded regional KFC Cup but insisted that the experience will help the team in the build-up to the 2008 ICC U-19 World Cup in Malaysia.

The World Cup, scheduled for February next year, is now the top priority for Bravo who believes that the Under-19s can improve and give a good account of themselves.

"We showed a lot of energy in the field," Bravo said, "And the 20-man squad gelled nicely together. "After the first game, which was a bit demoralising, I think we improved a lot in our batting but more so in the bowling department.

"We improved and we need to keep improving and getting better and our experience in the KFC Cup has definitely helped us to do that," Bravo said.

Looking back at the first game against Barbados, where nine U-19 players made their List A debut, Bravo said playing against Pedro Collins and Fidel Edwards had been difficult.

"Collins was getting a lot of movement and Edwards was bowling very fast. It was difficult to get them away but the experience was good for us and it came in handy in the other games."

There is still a lot of work to be done Bravo pointed out, saying that he was not satisfied with his own performance throughout the tournament.

"I stayed at the crease for a long time but I think there is still a lot of room for improvement."

Comments