|Photos||Video & Audio||Blogs||Statistics||Archive||Shop||Mobile|
February 23, 2014
Barbados and West Indies allrounder Ryan Hinds has been cleared of sexual assault charges, a statement by the West Indies Players Association (WIPA) said. Chief Magistrate Pamela Beckles dismissed the charges against Hinds after the complainant in the matter informed the court that she would not be presenting evidence. Hinds was not present at the hearing.
"The dropping of these charges is an immense weight off my shoulders," Hinds said. He had maintained his innocence from the outset, after an incident involving a 28-year-old woman in February 2012. "There were days when I thought there was no end in sight for this matter but they (my family and lawyer) kept me grounded and focused throughout. I am now very keen to try and regain a place in the Barbados national team."
WIPA president Wavell Hinds said both the West Indies Cricket Board and the Barbados Cricket Association (BCA) had been notified of the result of the hearing. "WIPA wishes Ryan every success as he seeks to rebuild his first-class and international careers," Wavell Hinds said. "He has demonstrated before that he has the ability to bounce back from adversity, and we have no doubt that he will do so again."
Hinds played 15 Tests and 14 ODIs for West Indies but has not represented them since July 2009. His last first-class game for Barbados was in March 2012. He is currently playing for the Wings Cricket Club in Dubai.
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
A look at some of cricket's most memorable strokes - and their makers