West Indies news

Shillingford cleared for international return

ESPNcricinfo staff

March 25, 2014

Shane Shillingford exults after removing Brendon McCullum, New Zealand v West Indies, 2nd Test, Wellington, 1st day, December 11, 2013
Shane Shillingford was forced to abort his international career during the tour of New Zealand © Associated Press

Shane Shillingford, the West Indies offspinner, has been cleared to return to international cricket after remedial work on his bowling action but will not bowl his doosra which remains illegal.

Shillingford was suspended in December, during the tour of New Zealand, following tests in Perth which showed both his doosra and conventional offspinner breached the 15-degree limit laid down by ICC. He had been reported during the second Test against India, in Mumbai, and it was the second time he had been suspended due to an illegal action.

Subsequent testing on March 4, again at the University of Western Australia in Perth, showed that his offspinner and straighter ball were now within the regulations.

Shillingford made his first-class comeback for Windward Islands against Jamaica this week and claimed 11 wickets in the match.

The results of the initial tests in late November came out during the Test series against New Zealand and Shillingford then returned to the Caribbean. Since then he has been working in Barbados alongside Vasbert Drakes, the former West Indies pace bowler, to find a solution to his problems and is now confident he as overcome the problem.

"Obviously, I am extremely happy that I will be playing this weekend," Shillingford said. "I have put in a lot of hard work over the past few months. It was a bit tough at first, but once the coaches told me what I had to do, I went straight to work. I just had to be really patient and I worked really hard."

"I am happy for the advice that I have received from the coaches, especially Vasbert, and I must also thank everyone for the support they have given me during this period."

Richard Pybus, West Indies' director of cricket, said: "It's great to have Shane playing first-class cricket again and I'm sure Windwards are delighted to have him back."

West Indies' next Test cricket will come in June when New Zealand visit for a three-match series

This story was updated after the ICC cleared Shane Shillingford's offbreak and arm-ball on March 25

Posted by bajan0123 on (March 26, 2014, 20:09 GMT)

The best spinner in the Caribbean is Benn. Shillingford has been banned several times and him not being able to bowl the doosra (PELT OR CHUCK) will make him less effective. The selectors need to get Benn back in the side where he belong.

Posted by   on (March 23, 2014, 1:11 GMT)

@ mh13aq8340 I disagree. Narine and Shillingford, or even Narine and Bishoo can form a dangerous spin twin partnership, especially in tests. What we really need is a test captain. It makes absolutely no sense for Sammy to be the T20 captain and test captain, while Bravo is the ODI captain, when ODIs can prepare you for test cricket. WICB needs to revisit this ASAP.

Posted by tutorial on (March 21, 2014, 23:37 GMT)

We have to see what he is capable of now, in an early post someone mention Sammy overused Shillingford in test matches, well well well, SAMMY RUIN BISHOO'S CAREER,in test matches and i can pull up the particular match if need too,with Sammy being captain in any format WI cricket will continue to deteriorate.

Posted by   on (March 21, 2014, 21:42 GMT)

Maybe I am missing something here. He was banned from playing INTERNATIONAL CRICKET because of his faulty action, remedial work was conducted, the results of the March 4, 2014 're-test' is still pending but he is being allowed to bowl in FIRST CLASS CRICKET? Can someone kindly explain this?

Posted by Divetta on (March 21, 2014, 20:14 GMT)

Great news! Shillingford is the best test spin bowler in the West Indies,I do rate a few of them such as narine,permaul,miller and bishoo but as far as tests go Shillingford is the man

Posted by   on (March 21, 2014, 18:25 GMT)

should not be allowed to bowl for 1 yr in international fixtures.

Posted by simonviller on (March 21, 2014, 15:03 GMT)

I hope that they also look at some others as well ,besides WI spinners ..

Posted by   on (March 21, 2014, 10:04 GMT)

Great to see my namesake back in action. Hope his re model action is still effective as the spin twins or Narine and Shillingford can be match winners for WI.

Posted by JohnnyRook on (March 21, 2014, 9:14 GMT)

I really think testing has to be done in real match situations and for all bowlers. This would be a lot better use of technology than DRS in my humble opinion. A bowler capable of bowling correctly is one thing. Whether he actually does is altogether different thing.

Posted by wirus on (March 21, 2014, 8:54 GMT)

We'll see the effect of this bowling action change this weekend but all we can hope is that he is as sharp and effective as he was. He is an amazing talent. Probably the most dangerous spinner we've had for decades and we need him. He combines guile with durability, of course along with sheer talent. Sadly he was overused by Sammy in the tests he has played and this may have contributed to his action deteriorating. It was amateurish and short-sighted of Sammy to over burden his best bowler at the time and smacked of desperation. If Shillingford does return to tests, hopefully it will be under a somewhat more knowledgeable captain (though Sammy is fine for ODI and T20 captaincy). We can only wish Shilly the best, for his sake and ours. He can give us another five years of top quality spin.

Posted by   on (March 21, 2014, 6:50 GMT)

I'm sure that they have now succeeded at taking the sting out of his deliveries. The 15 degree rule is absurd.

Posted by mh13aq8340 on (March 21, 2014, 4:20 GMT)

This is bad news for sunil narine

Posted by evenflow_1990 on (March 21, 2014, 3:57 GMT)

this is great news. he is an exciting bowler and it'll be good to see him back.

Posted by razeez on (March 21, 2014, 3:47 GMT)

Good on you Shilly. Bright days ahead.

ESPNcricinfo staffClose
Country Fixtures Country Results
2nd ODI: West Indies v Bangladesh at St George's
Aug 22, 2014 (09:00 local | 13:00 GMT | 09:00 EDT | 08:00 CDT | 06:00 PDT)
3rd ODI: West Indies v Bangladesh at Basseterre
Aug 25, 2014 (14:30 local | 18:30 GMT | 14:30 EDT | 13:30 CDT | 11:30 PDT)
Only T20I: West Indies v Bangladesh at Basseterre
Aug 27, 2014 (20:00 local | 00:00 GMT | 20:00 EDT | 19:00 CDT | 17:00 PDT)
1st Test: West Indies v Bangladesh at Kingstown
Sep 5-9, 2014 (10:00 local | 14:00 GMT | 10:00 EDT | 09:00 CDT | 07:00 PDT)
1st ODI: WI Women v NZ Women at Basseterre
Sep 12, 2014 (09:30 local | 13:30 GMT | 09:30 EDT | 08:30 CDT | 06:30 PDT)
Complete fixtures » | Download Fixtures »