|Photos||Video & Audio||Blogs||Statistics||Archive||Shop||Mobile|
March 8, 2009
The impact of the Lahore attack last week has forced the organisers of the ICC World Twenty20, to be held in England in June, to reassess security measures for the event. Steve Elworthy, tournament director for the event, said a two-level security system will be implemented to protect venues and players this summer.
"Definitely, the Lahore terror attack has forced us to relook our plan. Just after the attack, we had a meeting and we are meeting again next week where some top security experts will also participate," Elworthy told PTI.
Elworthy said the recent events have changed the security situation worldwide and that the event organisers will monitor the security situation in London ahead of the second edition of the tournament. As part of the plan, the players' off-field mobility may be restricted.
"The Lahore attack has proved that terrorists can strike anywhere anytime and this is worrying. We have to be on our guard as London has been a terror target in the past," said Elworthy. "We might have to keep a tab on the players' outdoor activities during the tournament."
Elworthy also said that security arrangements in England would be different from the ones put in place during the inaugural edition in South Africa in 2007. "The situation here is different and we have to plan accordingly. The terrorists have become more active between then and now," he said, "But we are confident of staging the event successfully."
Reg Dickason, an independent security adviser for the ECB, is expected to meet with the organisers on his return from the West Indies. "We had a round of meetings after the Mumbai terror attacks last year," said Elworthy. "We have been monitoring the situation continuously for the past 13-14 months. The ICC is also in touch with us."
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
A look at some of cricket's most memorable strokes - and their makers