World T20 2014

Kieswetter back with sense of purpose

Alan Gardner

March 25, 2014

Craig Kieswetter set to slam the ball through the off side, Brisbane Heat v Sydney Sixers, Big Bash League 2013-14, Brisbane, January 2, 2014
Craig Kieswetter has steadily revived his T20 game, including a successful spell in the Big Bash © Getty Images

Before England had a dashing young wicketkeeper-batsman from Somerset, they had a dashing young wicketkeeper-batsman via Somerset. Craig Kieswetter's three years in the England set-up were, in his own words, "tumultuous" and there almost seems an illusory quality to the memory of his Man of the Match performance in the final of the 2010 World T20.

Yet, more than 12 months since he was displaced by his former team-mate Jos Buttler in England's limited-overs sides, Kieswetter has rejoined the squad in Bangladesh with a clearer sense of purpose. A replacement for the injured Luke Wright, Kieswetter could again make a late bid to force his way into the World T20 XI on the back of a game that has moved on from the days of his early big hits.

It may not quite have been a case of too much too young but the beginning to Kieswetter's international career was still pretty special. Then came the period of artistic struggle, dropped from the one-day side before the 2011 World Cup, shuffled down the order after his return and finally usurped by Buttler for good in India at the start of 2013 - Ashley Giles' first tour in charge. His T20 career stalled at the previous tournament in Sri Lanka, when he was reduced to blocking or swinging wildly, his last innings a miserable 4 off 14 balls.

Michael Lumb, his mucker at the top of the order in the Caribbean (they both made their debuts in the same game), subsequently returned to the side and has since formed one of the most successful opening partnerships in the short history of the shortest format with Alex Hales.

It was in Bangladesh, when Kieswetter was just 22, that he made his England debut and Chittagong where he scored his only international century to date. "We had the Lions tour in Dubai and I did pretty well and then the Lions played England and Lumby and I did okay and I got selected," Kieswetter said. "In my third ODI I got a hundred and then we won the World Cup and I got man of the match in the final so my career started on such a high, an unexpected high for any player I think."

Then came the first low. "I remember we played five ODIs against Australia and three against Bangladesh back in the UK and I think I scored 121 runs in eight innings, so to go from one extreme to the complete opposite - mentally it is really tough. Your game does not change technically, you can still hit the ball as well, but mentally being able to deal with the positives and negatives - especially in the media and from the public - it leaves self-doubt rather than anything else and as a young player you have self-doubt anyway as a player and a person, so it was a real challenge. In hindsight I don't think I was quite ready for the mental challenge of being with the pros and cons really."

In order to better cope with the rigours of success and failure that all sportsmen must endure, Kieswetter has been working with Jon Pitts, a mental coach with a background in equestrianism and football. The focus was on achieving greater consistency but he has also attempted to improve areas of his technique, such as manipulating the field and rotating the strike.

Such upgrades to his cruder power game have apparently reawakened England's interest, if a little belatedly. Last year, Kieswetter finished as the leading run-scorer in the Friends Life t20, including 19 sixes (behind only Ben Stokes), and he performed creditably for Brisbane Heat in the Big Bash League over the winter. That success has come as an opener, though he said he would be "happy to bowl first change" if it meant an England return.

"It has been a pretty tumultuous England career for me so far, in and out and in and out and back," he said. "My personal feeling is that I believe I have always been good enough and had the talent to play on the technical side of it. But I think being thrust in so young and having the success that we did at a team level and individually. For me it was a real struggle to come to terms with that and to mentally deal with the processes of that success. The past 12 months have been a really interesting experience. I have had to go away completely and look at where I can develop myself and my game.

"I don't think it can ever be too much too soon but I was more adept at handling it technically than I was mentally. I think as a younger player your mental side of the game develops a touch later. For the past 12 months I've really gone away and backed off a little bit technically and physically from the game and worked on trying to become a bit more consistent emotionally and mentally with regards to my approach and my processes, dealing with highs and lows."

England, through James Whitaker, stayed in touch with Kieswetter last season and, after Ian Bell and Chris Woakes came into the World T20 squad for crocked regulars, a third opportunity arose. His view on arrival - one that England have been espousing with some zeal for a few weeks - was that the team "are actually looking in pretty good nick" but he may be able to bring something fresh to the group.

One reason for England's apparent struggles in T20 of late might have been due to the focus on Test cricket during the period they went to No. 1, a year after winning the World T20. Kieswetter carries no such baggage, though he retains aspirations in all three formats. Could an easier, breezier Kieswetter help England to some clarity of their own? "Things can change pretty quickly but I wouldn't necessarily count us out of the race yet."

Alan Gardner is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo. He tweets here

RSS Feeds: Alan Gardner

Posted by landl47 on (March 27, 2014, 13:03 GMT)

Kieswetter makes an excellent point- the reason young players struggle after initial success is that they are able to cope mentally. It doesn't happen with everyone, but a lot of young players go through this. Cook, Bell, Broad and Anderson for England all had their problems and Swann was out for over 7 years before getting a second chance. Kies has shown he has the ability and it will be interesting to see whether he can now apply himself better than in the past.

However, he's not a like-for-like replacement for Wright and it seems England's muddled thinking over what the squad should look like continues.

Posted by   on (March 27, 2014, 11:44 GMT)

why did england send for in form kieswetter and not pick him . typical england selector mistake.also at somerset we have one of the most consistent one day players in peter trego. yet he never gets a mention.

Posted by JG2704 on (March 27, 2014, 10:58 GMT)

@LocoWap - Every time Eng win it's a lucky day out and every time Aus win it's a dominant performance?

Both teams lost one game in the tournament - England vs WI with one ball remaining after 6 overs of a WI inns after Eng posted 190+ and Australia lost by 6 wkts with 4 overs remaining in the final. Maybe you could also get your selective memory checked re Aus thrashing all teams. In the semi final they were 17 runs adrift with 7 wickets down going into the final over. Credit to them/Hussey for turning it around but not even the most delusional one eyed fan could construde that as a thrashing - maybe you'll prove me wrong

Posted by kumar1203 on (March 27, 2014, 5:00 GMT)

Monty paneser should have been picked in the T20 squad England side.he will be trump card in Bangladesh spinning track...

Posted by VinothSam on (March 27, 2014, 3:11 GMT)

Kies or Lumb should take the team on their hand. Poor starting always affect England that is not only in T20 but also in ODIs as well. Hope for the best in this game. SL is the strongest and the hardest team to win. Good luck Barmy Armies and the Lions.

Posted by electric_loco_WAP4 on (March 27, 2014, 0:41 GMT)

JG2704- re. his man of match in the wt20 final v Aus,think he-and Eng-had lucky day out.Even you'll admit Eng were no where close to dominant Aussies who were unbeaten till then having thrashed all teams to the final.Just that Aus had 1 bad day-in final.

Posted by FawltyBean on (March 26, 2014, 21:07 GMT)

I don't know why lot of people had written England off for this game already. Chittagong pitch is made for seamers by an English groundsman. My view is this game favors England more than Sri Lanka. Sri Lankan batsmen struggled against the opening quick from Netherlands. I expect a close match with England getting a win.

Posted by jb633 on (March 26, 2014, 18:05 GMT)

IMO the form of Kieswetter in domestic cricket is irrelevant. As far as I am concerned if you can't play spin you shouldn't be anywhere near a side in these conditions. 9 out of the 10 ten T20 bowlers are spinners and having watched Kieswetter in the past he really struggles against decent spinners. It would seem a brain fade to pick him in these conditions and watch him struggle. If we were in Aus/SA I would have no issues but please not here.

Posted by JG2704 on (March 26, 2014, 17:22 GMT)

@Juiceoftheapple - You may have more insight but my opinion is that Kies was preferred at Somerset because of one or a combination of the below reasons

1 - He always has been the 1st choice wicket keeper so they felt loyalty bound towards him and saw that he did nothing wrong for which to be displaced

2 - Maybe Somerset's decision was also based on their hunch that Jos was England future (and not as distant as we may think) and felt Craig would be available more often - better to have a solid player available most of the time than a maybe better player available half the time?

3 - Maybe Somerset saw something in Jos or even just had a hunch that if they bowed to his WK demands theat may just be the start of it. I know what happens when football agents become involved with players - could start to happen with cricketers?

Personally/selfishly I hope Craig isn't called up. Our squad is weak enough as it is and by calling him up Eng will have stuffed us twice in a year

Posted by bobmartin on (March 26, 2014, 17:07 GMT)

I really do wonder what the England selectors are thinking of sometimes.....Re Kieswetter what is the sense in dragging him half-way round the world if he's not likely to get selected... But there again.. they've dragged Bell three-quarters the way round the world and he doesn't look as he'll get a game either. I thought that if they were looking to strengthen the batting... then maybe Carberry ought have been in the frame.. But I guess once the chance of making the semis disappears (maybe after tomorrow ?) ... then it really won't matter who gets a game ..

Posted by JG2704 on (March 26, 2014, 15:31 GMT)

@milepost on (March 26, 2014, 14:32 GMT) It must be news if important people are posting on it

Posted by milepost on (March 26, 2014, 14:32 GMT)

How low can England go if this is making the news?

Posted by Juiceoftheapple on (March 26, 2014, 12:58 GMT)

Kies is a solid player, but i dont think he is currently up there as a great T20 player, but that might change (Worldcup win aside). He is a better first class player, hence why he was preferred over Buttler at Somerset. Buttler being the undisputedly more explosive player. I cant see Kies get a call up now. But, i think the slot he should have his eyes on is Priors, and personally Ithink he'll get it.

Posted by   on (March 26, 2014, 12:09 GMT)

Looking forward to this match. England will have to lift their game bigtime to win against a fired up Sri Lanka. Can't see a win here for England, I'm afraid. This Sri Lankan side has too much batting AND bowling firepower and should prevail.

Posted by vstrider on (March 26, 2014, 10:11 GMT)

If you look at Craig's stats ODI and T20, he hasn't really done a lot wrong in fact his stats are a lot more pleasant looking than many of the regulars!

Posted by JG2704 on (March 26, 2014, 9:20 GMT)

As a Somerset fan I'd love CK to come in and make an impact but 1stly I don't see him getting a game at present. Hales looked a bit sketchy and unless we go for a 7th batsman then I dont see where he fits in.

Another prob is that it is more of the same (boundary or nothing) and if he's not hitting boundaries he's not scoring. He has proven for Somerset that he can play the anchor role but it is different doing that when you have guys like Steyn/Mallinga bowling at you compared to the bowlers we have at domestic level. He has a better SR in ODIs than pretty much all our regulars and a good SR in T20. I would have preferred them to have gone for Patel (who may be better in these conditions) or a spinner (maybe Rayner) or the type of batsman who can manipulate the ball and run aggressively.If Bell's mindset is right he could maybe do that job. It's a shame Root is not there as I think he could be useful but I guess they'd be dropping Ali rather than an expensive bowler

Posted by JG2704 on (March 26, 2014, 9:06 GMT)

@electric_loco_WAP4 on (March 26, 2014, 1:42 GMT)

It's a funny game cricket. Because I also remember him doing a job on your bowlers and getting Man Of The Match in the 2010 WC final but I guess you blanked that one out?

Posted by electric_loco_WAP4 on (March 26, 2014, 1:42 GMT)

A player who hits them hardest off poor balls.Other times cant get them off pitch area-esp. v spinners.Nothing to say of his keeping either.He dropped more than caught them.Reminds of way he barely saw them facing Tait @ 95 mph only to see stumps knocked.

Posted by Jaffa79 on (March 25, 2014, 20:38 GMT)

Kieswetter is very limited. He seems to almost hit by numbers and you can guarantee in ODI or T20 cricket that if he doesn't score for 3 balls, he'll swing from the hip. Sometimes it works but he is too hit and miss from me. He hits everything inside out on the offside and I don't think he is the 360 hitter of Buttler's potential. Steve Davies is streets ahead of him too. Both are way better keepers (he is the worst keeper not called Matthew Wade I have ever seen) and much more versatile batsmen.

Posted by   on (March 25, 2014, 18:46 GMT)

I watched Kieswetter in this seasons Big Bash where he played pretty well, have to say Luke Wright would always be the choice above him. Ian Bell's experience should always keep him out but he is still young and will no doubt become a regular in the side in the future.

Posted by CodandChips on (March 25, 2014, 17:39 GMT)

Not too sure abut Kieswetter. Re his batting, i think his destructiveness in county cricket has been overstated at times. In international cricket he certainly didn't appear to me to be destructive. Also he looked uncomfortable at times when batting, although he was moved around the order.

Hopefully his recent domestic successes shows improvement. Wouldn't mind him coming in to provide a bit more batting depth. Hopefully Ali would act as 6th bowler, say Kiewsetter came in for Bresnan. Good luck if he does play.

Re his keeping, I'm probably one of the few people on the planet who thinks that Jos Buttler is a much better keeper than Kieswetter.

Posted by SJC1000 on (March 25, 2014, 16:50 GMT)

England called up Bell before him, and it seems abundently clear that he is not going to play a game. If I was Kieswetter, I wouldnt put too much hope on getting a game

Alan GardnerClose
Tournament Results
India v Sri Lanka at Dhaka - Apr 6, 2014
Sri Lanka won by 6 wickets (with 13 balls remaining)
India v South Africa at Dhaka - Apr 4, 2014
India won by 6 wickets (with 5 balls remaining)
Sri Lanka v West Indies at Dhaka - Apr 3, 2014
Sri Lanka won by 27 runs (D/L method)
Pakistan v West Indies at Dhaka - Apr 1, 2014
West Indies won by 84 runs
Bangladesh v Australia at Dhaka - Apr 1, 2014
Australia won by 7 wickets (with 15 balls remaining)
More results »