Parnell called to Mumbai court hearing
Wayne Parnell has been released from the South African squad at the World T20 to attend a mandatory court hearing in Mumbai on Thursday in relation to the drug-related charges laid during the 2012 IPL.
It means Parnell will not be available for the match against Netherlands in Chittagong although he had not been selected for South Africa's first two group games.
Speaking about the appearance, Parnell's manager, Donne Commins said: "Wayne has been called to appear before the court in India purely for procedural purposes in relation to the courts ongoing administration of the case concerned. Our understanding is that there will be no substantive enquiries made of him at the hearing, nor will the matter be progressed otherwise than as a matter of procedure."
South Africa's team manager, Mohammed Moosajee, said: "We were made aware before the T20 World Cup that Wayne would have to travel to India to appear in court as a matter of procedure and we have made provision for this in our planning.
"It's unfortunate to lose him for a game in the middle of an important tournament him but we must respect the law. Furthermore, Wayne has expressed no wrongdoing so we hope that the case can be concluded as soon as possible."
Parnell was among 90 people detained following a party at a hotel in the Juhu suburb of Mumbai on May 20, 2012, a day after Pune Warriors' IPL 2012 campaign ended. Of the 90 people, 86 apparently tested positive for drugs including 35 foreign nationals.
Parnell has denied any wrongdoing, and was released on bail following a court appearance in Mumbai last year. He will rejoin the squad on Friday morning ahead of South Africa's match against England.