Bangladesh v Pakistan, World T20, Group 2, Mirpur

Shehzad dedicates ton to critics

Abhishek Purohit in Mirpur

March 30, 2014

Ahmed Shehzad, the first Pakistan batsman to make a T20 century, has dedicated his knock to all those who have criticised him, as well as to those who have admired him. Shehzad said people had started writing him off too early after two failures against India and Australia in the World T20, and that he was proud to have achieved such a landmark under pressure. Pakistan, by virtue of their 50-run rout of Bangladesh, have set up a virtual quarter-final against West Indies on Tuesday.

Shehzad appeared to be in the mood for retribution, as his first answer was not exactly related to what he had been asked - how had some batsmen such as him, Virat Kohli and Glenn Maxwell been able to perform in conditions where several others had struggled to score freely.

"To be very honest, I have been listening to so many things after the last two games," Shehzad said. "This is what happens in cricket. When you don't play good in couple of games, (there is) pressure on you. But this is when you have to show your character.

"I backed myself and the coaches and the captain [had faith in me]. I would like to thank whoever supported me. I was sticking to my game plan. Wasn't trying to do anything extra but that was my aim: to pick up the bowlers first and make sure I go after them.

Ahmed Shehzad celebrates Pakistan's maiden T20 hundred, Bangladesh v Pakistan, World Twenty20, Group 2, Mirpur, March 30, 2014
Ahmed Shehzad on his century: 'It is for all those people who have said anything about me - good, bad, whoever it is. It is my gift to them' © ICC

"Very proud because before coming here, that was my aim - that in the pool games itself, I need to make a century," he said. "To become the first Pakistani player to have a century in all three formats. Feel proud. (Want to dedicate it) to all those who criticised me and those who love me. It is for all those people who have said anything about me - good, bad, whoever it is. It is my gift to them, it is my gift to the entire Pakistan, for people outside as well."

Shehzad continued to hit out at his critics, saying people should not draw conclusions about a player on the basis of one or two innings. He also added that his unbeaten 98 in Zimbabwe last year had given him confidence that he could make a T20 hundred some day. "In Harare, I like that innings because I had not secured my ODI position. I was on a comeback. To score an innings like that at that time, that gave me a lot of happiness. Yes, I did miss a hundred but I felt that I have got this close, I can achieve more than that as well.

"Today, when I was 70-odd, Shoaib Malik was batting with me, he said you can comfortably make a hundred. This is what the plan was, that I bat through 20 overs, the captain's message came that you play 20 overs and let the rest bat around you. What happens in T20 is that one or two individuals perform. Whoever is set, it is important to anchor the innings and take the rest with him. This is what I tried today which happened. This is something that doesn't happen every day.

"Unfortunately, we must all understand that T20 is the kind of format where the margin of error for the bowlers is very less but the batsman must also try a lot of different things because of which he can be out as well. It is important for everyone to understand that you should not judge a player on the basis of one or two innings. The team is selected on an individual's abilities and his past performances."

Having said what he wanted to in the presence of his captain, Shehzad then strode out with a smile, sharing a high-five with Mohammad Hafeez.

Abhishek Purohit is a sub-editor at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: Abhishek Purohit

Posted by Rohit... on (April 1, 2014, 17:36 GMT)

Whom R U Going to Dedicate Your Golden Duck against the Windies ???

Posted by mzm149 on (March 31, 2014, 19:13 GMT)

Very well played. But please don't disappoint in next games in world t20 where your runs will count even more.

Posted by captainpermod on (March 31, 2014, 9:46 GMT)

Lot of people think that he has resemblance with Virat Kohli. I agree with physical resemblance and there is no harm emulating Virat in performance.

One should pick good things from a player but he seems copying Virat's bad temerament as well. Be humble and down to earth personality as a player such as Tendulkar& Dravid.

Posted by subcontinent-expert on (March 31, 2014, 9:45 GMT)

Give him time and don't just jump on him after failures. He is young... just 22/23years... Its a simple rule that was applied on Kohli and same should be done with Shehzad... He just lack some consistency otherwise he has got all the ingredients of a world class player.... I like his attitude... He resembles a young Kohli....... Shehzad will get better with time......

Posted by sahbas_s on (March 31, 2014, 4:25 GMT)

Very well played buddy. Bt don't think you have conquered the world already and be humble even when you are on top. That's exactly people like Sachin, Dravid, Inzi, Yousuf, Younis,Anwar did.

Posted by dmqi on (March 31, 2014, 3:39 GMT)

Next test against West Indies, and real test against Indian bowlers who are not giving away runs. Let us see how those work out. Best of luck.

Posted by   on (March 31, 2014, 3:08 GMT)

indeed one of the talents of Pakistan cricket along with Umar Akmal. Brilliant innings hope he can score big against the windies. Pakistan looking good at the moment

Posted by   on (March 31, 2014, 1:24 GMT)

He can improve more if he show consistency in his batting and fielding.. yeah he is also a good fielder. I am really happy that he became the first Pakistani to make a century in T20 tournaments.

Posted by wapuser on (March 31, 2014, 0:19 GMT)

Ok dude calm down, every sportsman has critics, part of the game, let your run scoring do the talking and not your mouth.. Lets see u score well against windies n make impact in huge game!!

Please drop akmal, missed stumping,wasted deliveries and got out playing a daft shot. This guy k akmal can only perform in friendly matches! Get rid ASAP n make umar keep!!

Posted by IAS2009 on (March 30, 2014, 23:49 GMT)

I think he played well, Very like Kohli, i love to see him cut down on reckless shots and play on merit of ball, even in T20 he played gracious innings, Pakistan need Sharjeel Back at top of order he gives you quick 25-30 and Shehzad hold the innings at other end, If Malik is not going to bowl i am not sure why he is in team. Kamran Akmal is also not not needed, these players have not done much in the win any way.

Posted by   on (March 30, 2014, 23:31 GMT)

Well played Shahzad but luck was on your side today.You tried couple of pedal shots early in your innings and didn't succeed,the ball missing the stumps by a thread margin.Please avoid these risky shots.Hope the coaches have noticed and informed you in time.

Posted by   on (March 30, 2014, 23:28 GMT)

Need more of those in quarters and semis

Posted by   on (March 30, 2014, 23:28 GMT)

Need more of those in quarters and semis

Posted by The_Indipper on (March 30, 2014, 22:41 GMT)

Well played and good luck for the future

Posted by   on (March 30, 2014, 21:47 GMT)

He showed kakmal and malik how to bat. would be useful if they took some notes...

Posted by Diaz54 on (March 30, 2014, 21:37 GMT)

I say to Shenzad that some critics may be critical only because they see so much ability in him and want him to do better. I am one of them....I have high expectations I want him to improve his risk reward ratio...and. Roche more consistent,,which he can in all formats of the game. I saw him as n under 19 player in uk, and knew he could b a special one...but shot selection and temperament will come from maturity. Well done.

Posted by   on (March 30, 2014, 20:50 GMT)

good job now stop gloating get ready fo windies the trophy is coming to islamabad.

Posted by   on (March 30, 2014, 19:45 GMT)

Im a Pakistani, even tho i enjoyed Ahmed Shezads innings and no doubt it was a very good hundred it could have been better and he could have helped pakistan to a bigger total near 210 which he should have done if he was really a good player but understandably he was tired. All said Mr. Shehzad this was only a very below average bangladesh team which have even lost to Hong Kong recently. If you feel pressure playing bangladesh then that speaks for itself. You will only be recognized if you perform in real needy times like coming up against west indies and a real bowling attack.

Posted by SajidMirza on (March 30, 2014, 19:32 GMT)

Very well played right at the right time to close all mouths. But don't think that you won the world,,, its starting,,, go like this till the end of the final and so towards the other matches. A complete pure Pakistani performance. Well done guys. We are right behind you...

Posted by   on (March 30, 2014, 19:27 GMT)

talk is cheap. golden words by sammy. always remember that

Posted by   on (March 30, 2014, 19:03 GMT)

Great inning from a talented young batsman hope he will perform same manner in coming matches.

Posted by Saadcricketlover on (March 30, 2014, 18:48 GMT)

sensible talk and a good player who is not only physically strong but also mentaly.

Posted by SWAT_XI on (March 30, 2014, 18:21 GMT)

Brilliant performance by a talented player. should play his natural game and not be defensive like in the last 2 matches..T20 means aggressive attitude especially in batting.

Posted by   on (March 30, 2014, 18:17 GMT)

Yeah Shahzad, you beauty. Fantastic inning from you today. Good luck.

Posted by   on (March 30, 2014, 18:11 GMT)

if u r a batsman the best way to answer all the critics is to score runs and that's what he did... well done and keep it up bcz we going to need ur runs in the quarter final with the windes...

Posted by   on (March 30, 2014, 17:39 GMT)

Don't be too arrogant Shehzad. Cricket has a way of bring anyone down to earth. Well played. Make the opposition earn your bucket.

Posted by   on (March 30, 2014, 17:35 GMT)

Ahmed shahzed my best batsman i love u

Posted by   on (March 30, 2014, 17:28 GMT)

well played by him. it was superb innings and good thing about it was that it was done with ease. no as such mad shots. though he played 3 paddle sweeps when he was hitting good.

he is performing more consistent after his come back which is good sign for him and pakistan. good future .

Posted by   on (March 30, 2014, 17:25 GMT)

Keep ur feet grounded like yousuf and younis if u wanna taste success. Well done and keep it up

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (March 30, 2014, 16:59 GMT)

Well played Shehzad - an Indian fan.

Posted by Syed_imran_abbas on (March 30, 2014, 16:42 GMT)

Well played Ahmad Shahzad.. You are a class act. One the bright future of Pakistan cricket along with umar akmal.. I think they should make Nasir Jamshed work out n get his fitness and form back. I hope he gets his form and come back in team.. Shahzad is becoming one of my favroute batsman. Good luck for coming games.

Posted by   on (March 30, 2014, 16:28 GMT)

Good work .. Great innings

Posted by   on (March 30, 2014, 16:25 GMT)

well-done.