Abbeydale Park, which hosts a variety of sports, was opened in 1922, and by the late 1930s there was talk of county matches being staged, even though the area had a major venue in Bramall Lane. However, the contrast between the two was marked, with Bramall Lane an industrial setting and Abbeydale Park more of a country-house feel about it.
The outbreak of war delayed its first-class debut, but that came in 1946 when Derbyshire played a game, revisiting in 1947. That is not as daft as it seems, as the land, known as the Dore after the village where it is situated, was in Derbyshire until 1933 when an act of parliament moved all land in Sheffield under the jurisdiction of Derbyshire to be switched to Yorkshire.
The Derbyshire games were not a financial success, and it was only with the demise of Bramall Lane in 1973 that Yorkshire sought a stop-gap alternative. Abbeydale Park was chosen, even though the authorities refused to allow the county to use it at weekends! When other options failed - including a venue at Bawtry Road - Abbeydale Park became the only choice.
Although attendances for games were good, the decision to base most cricket at Leeds led to the ground being vacated after 1996.