Quick Links
Most viewed players
Player index by type
Player index by letter


Harry Lee      

Full name Henry William Lee

Born October 26, 1890, Marylebone, London

Died April 21, 1981, Westminster, London (aged 90 years 177 days)

Major teams England, Maharaja of Cooch-Behar's XI, Middlesex

Batting style Right-hand bat

Other Umpire, Coach

Relation Brother - JW Lee, Brother - FS Lee

Henry William Lee
Batting and fielding averages
Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 6s Ct St
Tests 1 2 0 19 18 9.50 0 0 0 0 0
First-class 437 722 49 20158 243* 29.95 38 81 180 0
Bowling averages
Mat Inns Balls Runs Wkts BBI BBM Ave Econ SR 4w 5w 10
Tests 1 - - - - - - - - - - - -
First-class 437 26660 12278 401 8/39 30.61 2.76 66.4 12 3
Career statistics
Only Test South Africa v England at Johannesburg, Feb 13-17, 1931 scorecard
Test statistics
First-class span 1911 - 1934

The eldest of the three Lee brothers, Harry William Lee, who died in Middlesex Hospital on April 21, was the second-oldest surviving England cricketer at the time of his death. At 90, he was 112 days younger than Andrew Sandham. Lee was also the last of the famous 1920 Middlesex team which won the Championship with a thrilling victory over Surrey at Lord's. Lee and his partner C.K.L. Skeet made centuries in an opening stand of 208 in the second innings, Sandham scoring 167 not out for the losers. Born in Marylebone on October 26, 1890, and proud to be one of the relatively few Middlesex players over the years to have been born in the district, Lee learnt the game in the street, a lamp-post serving as the wicket. Although he continued to help his father, who was a greengrocer and coal merchant, young Harry, inevitably known as 'Ginger' for the colouring of his hair, joined the ground staff at Lord's in 1906, and, having absorbed advice from E.G. Wynyard and others, he developed his allround play to such an extent that Middlesex offered him an engagement in 1911. Three years passed before he made any true impression. This was a fortnight after war had broken out, in August 1914. Promoted to open, he accompanied the brilliant Frank Tarrant to the middle and scored 139. Pasty Hendren and J.W. Hearne also made centuries in that match against Notts, a pointer to the future, for the pair were to bring repeated glories to Middlesex batting, with Lee a valuable regular support. It was a minor miracle that Lee was able to resume cricket at all. Soon after enlisting, he was shot in the leg during the hostilities at Neuve Chapelle and lay for three days between the lines. He was reported dead, and a memorial service was held. However, he had been taken into German custody, and was soon repatriated as a hopeless case. His legacy fortunately was no more than a shortened and slightly withered leg, and a year later he made a century at Lancing. Upon Tarrant's recommendation he secured a position in 1917 as cricket and football coach to the Maharajah of Cooch Behar - and was lucky to see it. At the last moment his passage was switched from the Nyanza to the Nagoya. Nyanza was torpedoed just out of Plymouth. As it was, one of Nagaya"s convoy, City of Lucknow was sunk in the Mediterranean.

  • Read More
Latest Articles
Latest Photos

Apr 15, 1951

Harry Lee coaching in the nets at Chiswick, April 15, 1951

Harry Lee coaching in the nets at Chiswick

© Getty Images

Apr 30, 1930

Harry Lee bats for Middlesex, Middlesex v Leicestershire, County Championship, Lord's, April 30, 1930

Harry Lee bats for Middlesex

© PA Photos


Harry Lee

Harry Lee

© The Cricketer International