Glamorgan 80 for 5 (Root 18*, Shaw 2-12) v Gloucestershire

When heavy rain brought a premature halt to proceedings in Glamorgan's first game at their headquarters fort eleven months, the home team were struggling in their first innings against Gloucestershire's five-man seam attack.

After two sessions, the home team had laboured to 80 for 5 from 48 overs- a run rate of just 1.6 runs an over, after Chris Dent had no hesitation in inserting the opposition under cloudy skies and on a greenish pitch that had been covered for some time after the first-day washout.

The bowlers rewarded their captain by bowling a full length and Glamorgan's batsmen were given no respite - only two boundaries were struck in front of the wicket throughout the 48 overs.

Nick Selman and Charlie Hemphrey have experienced a difficult start to this abbreviated season, scoring only 86 runs between them in four innings. Although they survived the 18 overs before lunch- there was an hour's delay at the start - they soon departed when play resumed.

Josh Shaw, the former Yorkshire bowler, accounted for both openers shortly after lunch when Selman, driving outside the off stump, edged a catch to George Hankins at second slip and Hemphrey was bowled pushing down the wrong line.

The conditions favoured the bowlers, but they responded so well that there was plenty of playing and missing from the batsmen, and apart from Billy Root - who scored 113 in the previous game - no other batsman was secure at the crease.

Kiran Carlson attempted an ambitious off drive, but edged to the wicket keeper, then captain Chris Cooke was out, lbw to one that nipped back off the pitch.

Tom Cullen added 20 runs with Root before he nicked one to give Gareth Roderick his second catch, and Glamorgan will hope that Root, who abandoned his attacking instincts to play watchfully during his time at the crease, and the lower order can guide Glamorgan to a first-innings total their bowlers are able to defend.

The heavens opened shortly after the players went to tea, with play eventually abandoned for the day at 5.15pm.