Glamorgan 116 (Payne 5-31) and 197 for 8 (Cooke 59*, Selman 55) drew with Gloucestershire 181 (Higgins 48, Wagg 3-38)

Glamorgan were grateful for the second successive game to their captain Chris Cooke, whose unbeaten half-century carried his side to a draw against Gloucestershire.

Glamorgan had slipped to 138 for 8, a lead of only 73 with plenty of overs remaining, but Cooke was at the crease for four-and-a-half hours in compiling 59, and was given solid support by No.10 Tim van der Gugten, who was 30 not out.

They survived despite the sterling efforts of Gloucestershire's two left-arm seamers David Payne and Matt Taylor, who excelled throughout - with Payne taking eight wickets in the match. Glamorgan had a lead of 132 with 13 overs remaining when the teams shook hands.

Had the first day not been lost to rain, there could have been an interesting finish as the ball dominated the bat throughout, with still plenty in the pitch for the seamers while the odd ball turned.

Glamorgan began the final day 65 runs behind and with all their wickets intact, but Matt Taylor soon got to work by taking two wickets in his opening two overs. Charlie Hemphrey, whose place must now be in doubt after scoring only 72 runs in six completed innings, was out lbw.

He was quickly followed by Kiran Carlson, who was dismissed in similar fashion, as he shuffled across his stumps to a ball that came back into him. The two wickets had fallen without any addition to the overnight score.

Nick Selman stood firm, alternating between attack and defence, and was developing a useful partnership with Billy Root, one of the few Glamorgan batsmen who has been in any sort of form this season. But after scoring 13, Root was out to one of the slip catches of the season, taken by George Hankin at second slip.

Root dabbed at a delivery intended for the third man area, before it was intercepted by the fielder who dived to his right and held on in front of first slip.

Selman, who also been short of runs this season, completed a responsible half-century, but after adding a further five runs was leg before to Ryan Higgins, in what was the last ball before lunch as play was interrupted by a heavy shower.

When Payne dismissed Dan Douthwaite and Graham Wagg in quick succession, and Kieran Bull was bowled by Graham van Buuren in his first over, Glamorgan had slumped to eight down, but van der Gugten, who the previous day had dislocated his finger, gave his captain staunch support.

He joined his captain in the 67th over, to remain there for a further 24 overs as Gloucestershire's hopes receded.