Glamorgan 203 (Root 51*) lead Warwickshire 186 (Bell 50) by 17 runs

Glamorgan gained a slender first-innings lead of 17 after another day where the seamers held centre stage, with Warwickshire opting to use their four quick bowlers throughout the innings.

Billy Root emulated Ian Bell from the previous day by holding the innings together and scoring a composed half-century - he was undefeated on 51 from 100 balls when the innings ended.

Despite the loss of 35 overs in the afternoon session, the game has moved on and with two days remaining there is every chance of a positive outcome to this final game in the Bob Willis Trophy competition.

With the pitch still helping the seamers, Liam Norwell, the former Gloucestershire bowler, playing only his fifth championship game for the club after missing most of last season because of injury, took the first two wickets in a lively spell.

Joe Cooke was the first to go when he feathered a catch to the wicketkeeper, then nine runs later the night watchman Tim Van Der Gugten departed in similar fashion, although replays indicated that there was some doubt whether there had been any contact.

At 29 for 3, the home team were in trouble but were rescued by Owen Morgan, playing his first championship game since July last year, and his captain Chris Cooke. They shared a 53-run partnership for the fourth wicket before they were both out shortly before lunch.

Cooke got one from Will Rhodes that left him off the pitch to give Michael Burgess his third catch, then the same bowler bowled Morgan who was late down on a full-length delivery that bowled him.

Root and Callum Taylor the shared a useful stand of 33, but after hitting two boundaries in the previous over, Taylor was brilliantly held by Bell at third slip, the fielder ending up on his back from an intended cut.

The Warwickshire seamers continued to test the batsmen by hitting the seam and getting movement off the pitch, but Root played every ball on its merit and while he was at the crease Glamorgan were in contention to gain a first-innings lead.

Dan Douthwaite became the seventh wicket to fall, bowled by Ryan Sidebottom after the batsman had been dropped the previous ball by Rhodes at mid-off while Tom Cullen was the next to go, also bowled by Sidebottom.

Any thoughts the visitors might have had of gaining a first-innings lead were dashed by Root and Lukas Carey, who has a first-class fifty to his name. Carey alternated between defence with some powerful shots through the off side to score a useful 23 before he was bowled by Rhodes.

Root brought up his fifty and a bonus point by hoisting Rhodes for six over mid-wicket.