Nick Compton carried his fine Twenty20 form into the first-class format as his first century of the season helped Mashonaland Eagles earn a draw against Southern Rocks at the Harare Sports Club. Rocks, however, took one point from the game after securing the first-innings lead.

Compton, who was the leading run-getter in the Stanbic Bank 20 Series that Eagles won in November, came to the crease with his team in trouble at 61 for 5 in their second innings. By stumps on the third day, Eagles had lost another wicket and Compton was unbeaten on 44 with his team at 127 for 6. At that stage, Rocks were odds-on favourites to win the match, having taken a 36-run lead in the first innings. But Compton found an able partner in fast bowler Trevor Garwe, and the two defied Rocks well into the second season on the final day. When Garwe was out for 64, Eagles declared at 293 for 7, with Compton unbeaten on 136. Rocks needed 256 to win in half a day, and the match petered out to a draw.

Rocks had taken the advantage on the first day, bowling Eagles out for 202 after putting them in to bat. Seamers Robertson Chinyengetere and Michael Chinouya took three wickets each as Eagles struggled to get going, with none of their batsmen reaching 50. Their bowlers responded well on the second day, reducing Rocks to 180 for 7 at one stage. Eagles seamer Innocent Chinyoka took 4 for 53 and Rocks needed Steve Tikolo's 57 to give them a first-innings lead. Rocks bowlers then struck five early blows to give them a chance for their first win of the season, before Compton's match-saving innings. Eagles stay above Rocks in the table, with two points compared to their one.

Matabeleland Tuskers were hampered by incessant rain at the Queens Sports Club in Bulawayo as they tried to catch up with Mountaineers at the top of the table. The first and then the fourth day were completely washed out and neither team picked up any points.

Tuskers elected to bat first and when play began on the second day, managed to reach 264 in their first innings, riding on Paul Horton's 121. Tuskers' bowlers then gave them a shot at the first-innings lead, reducing Mountaineers to 99 for 4 on the third day. But rain played spoilsport and ensured there was no more play in the match.