Team's from Australia, Bangladesh fail to book semis berth

Shraddhanand College fast bowler Abhishek Vats in the midst of his wicket-taking spell against University of Technology Sydney Vaibhav Mehta

Delhi-based Shradhanand College put University of Technology, Sydney out of contention for a place in the semi-finals, after beating them by six wickets in their Group A encounter at the Abhimanyu Cricket Academy on Wednesday.

For the second-straight match SC's fast bowler, Abhishek Vats, found himself amongst the wickets, as he dismissed UTS' openers, Nicholas Charlwood and Christopher Spratt, in his first-two overs.

He then accounted for captain, Harry Dalton, in his third over and then Angus McKay his in fourth. His four-over spell left UTS' top-order in tatters and they failed to recover from the setback and managed just 69 in their innings.

UTS' fast bowler, James Campbell, gave his side just the start that had hoped for, when he struck thrice in his first over.

But a 50-run stand between Shubham Dhaiya and Jitish Saroha was all it took for Shradhanand College to cross the line.

The win put Shradhanand College through to the semi-final, in Group A, alongside Loughborough MCC University. UTS and European University of Bangladesh failed to make it through to the knock-outs.

International College of Business and Technology from Sri Lanka made the semi-finals from Group B by beating Heriot Watt University by a 74-run margin.

ICBT's openers, Sadeera Samarawickrama and Nipuna Ganage provided a solid 126-run platform for the side after they won the toss and elected to bat.

Samarawickrama slammed 57 from just 42 balls and Ganage 65 from 39. Following their departure three-balls apart in the 14th over, ICBT fumbled. They lost five-quick wickets, but still managed to post 172. Rohit Singh from HWU showed signs of form with the bat, with a solid 48. But the other batsmen failed to provide any resistance. The team from UAE managed just 98 in reply.

Defending champions Assupol TUKS easily overcame Jinnah Degree College, Karachi by nine wickets in the last match of the day.

JDC batted first but found it difficult to score freely, as TUKS bowlers maintained their discipline to strangle any signs of a JDC attack.

JDC managed just 103 in their 20 overs. TUKS lost opener Aiden Markram in the first over itself, but Murray Coetzee and Gerald Pike added 147 runs for the second wicket to take their side home in ten overs.