Somerset 222 for 2 beat Glamorgan 185 for 6 by 10 runs (D/L method)

Peter Trego and Craig Kieswetter shone with the bat as Somerset won their third match in the Clydesdale Bank 40 League when they beat Glamorgan in a rain-affected game at Taunton.

The hosts amassed 222 for 2 from 27 overs before rain stopped play - and when the game restarted at 6.15pm the visitors were chasing a revised total of 196 to win off 19 overs. They came close but fell short on 185 for 6, giving Somerset victory by 10 runs under the Duckworth/Lewis method.

After opting to bat first Somerset lost Marcus Trescothick in the third over, caught for 6 by wicketkeeper Mark Wallace off James Harris. New batsman Trego was quickly into his stride and took 28 off the seventh over of the innings, bowled by Will Owen. It contained four fours and two sixes, one straight drive onto the roof of the Old Pavilion and the other over midwicket.

Trego took just 20 deliveries to reach his half-century, hitting the milestone with a single off Robert Croft. Kieswetter accumulated his runs more steadily and brought up the Somerset 100 with a single off Dean Cosker in the 12th over.

However, in the next he hoisted Croft over midwicket and the wicketkeeper went to his 50 with a dabbed single through gully in the 17th over. Trego moved to 99 with a six high into the Somerset Stand off Graham Wagg and next ball but one he took a single through mid-on to bring up his 100, which came off 58 balls and included eight fours and six sixes.

However, Trego's contribution was over with the next delivery, when he lofted Harris to Gareth Rees at square leg - ending a second wicket partnership which added 174 in exactly 20 overs. Kieswetter then started to open his shoulders, flaying Wagg to the cover boundary before bringing up the 200 with a single off the next ball of the 24th over.

Rain had threatened from the start and eventually started to fall heavily, forcing the players off at the end of the 27th over with Somerset on 222 for 2, Kieswetter on 95 not out and Buttler unbeaten on 10. It proved to be the end of the hosts' innings.

Rees and Alviro Petersen got the Glamorgan reply off to a flying start and put on 48 for the opening wicket. The stand was broken in the fifth over when Rees hit the ball to cover and the pair went for a quick single - but Petersen was run out for 15 thanks to a sharp piece of fielding by Arul Suppiah.

Jim Allenby brought up the 50 with a four to third man off Ajantha Mendis' first ball and next over hit the first six of the reply when he lofted Trego high over midwicket. Opening bowler Adam Dibble changed ends and immediately reaped success when Rees, on 37, edged his first delivery to Kieswetter.

Allenby brought the 100 up with a six over long-on off Mendis, leaving Glamorgan needing 94 runs for victory off eight overs. Lewis Gregory returned at the River End and with his first ball accounted for Allenby, caught by substitute fielder Alex Barrow at long off for 41 off 22 balls.

Four balls later the 18-year-old had O'Shea leg before wicket for 25 and Glamorgan found themselves 122 for four. The game was evenly poised going into the last five overs with Glamorgan still needing 64 for victory, with six wickets remaining.

New batsman Wagg quickly moved onto 20, including three consecutive boundaries off Trego, before Steve Kirby comprehensively bowled him. Mark Wallace cut Kirby to the square boundary to bring up the 150 in the 16th over, leaving the visitors still requiring 44 off three overs.

Twenty came off the 17th over, bowled by Trego - including a six over midwicket - meaning Glamorgan needed two runs a ball. As the pressure mounted Wallace was caught by Nick Compton at deep square-leg off Kirby for 10 from the first ball of the 18th over. Going into the final over, bowled by Gregory, Glamorgan needed 17 for victory - and the task proved beyond them, despite Ben Wright's enterprising 28 off 18 calls.