Group C

Michael Yardy led from the front to guide Sussex into the quarter-finals, with a 60-run win over Yorkshire at Hove. Yardy cracked a crucial 68 in Sussex's 269 for 7, stroking four fours and providing substance to an innings that was threatening to slip away at 161 for 4. Michael Vaughan hit his second one-day fifty of the season as Yorkshire made a promising start to their chase, but he was one of four batsmen to fall to Chris Nash, who returned career-best figures of 4 for 40.

Group B

A fine 69 from Neil Dexter, along with blistering contributions from Phillip Hughes and Owais Shah, helped Middlesex chase down 277 to beat Warwickshire at Lord's and keep their quarter-final hopes alive. Warwickshire's challenging target was set up by Jonathan Trott's superb 120 and a typically bullish innings of 68, from 44 balls, by Neil Carter. Middlesex lost Billy Godleman early before Hughes (57 from 43) and Shah (63 from 58) steadied their chase, but they then lost Dawid Malan and Eoin Morgan within one ball of each other. And when Trott pulled off a stunning one-handed effort to send Gareth Berg packing, Middlesex's quarter-final hopes appeared to be over. But Ben Scott suddenly rediscovered his touch with 28 from 18 balls, and along with Dexter helped Middlesex over the line with three balls to spare. This was Hughes's last match this season for Middlesex, a remarkable period in which he 882 runs, and he could yet be back at Lord's for next season.

Scotland finally registered a win at the seventh attempt, beating Kent in a rain-affected match in Edinburgh. Batting first, Kent stumbled against Sean Weeraratna who removed both Martin van Jaarsveld and Joe Denly, and they crawled to 65 for 4 after 19.5 before the rain came thundering down. Set a Duckworth-Lewis revised total of 77 from 18 overs, Scotland breezed home with Fraser Watts belting 45 from 38, and Gavin Hamilton an unbeaten 18.

Group A

A record unbeaten third-wicket stand of 260 between Sean Ervine and Michael Carberry eased Hampshire to a 77-run win over Ireland at Southampton. Ervine smashed 167 off 140 balls, a record one-day score on the ground, while Carberry chipped in with 121 out of a total of 316 for 2. Ireland made a game reply, led by 94 from Kevin O'Brien, but were always well off the pace and finished on 239 for 9.

Group D

Derbyshire kept their quarter-final hopes alive with a three-wicket defeat of Essex at Chelmsford. The win was very much down to Stuart Law and Dan Redfern. The pair came together with Derbyshire on 79 for 5 chasing 193, and they added 106 to take their side to the brink of victory. Two late wickets for Danish Kaneria, who finished with 5 for 32, could not prevent Derbyshire getting home with 16 balls in hand. Earlier, James Foster's 71 had helped rescue Essex from 102 for 6.