Brad Hodge has delivered a simple message to the Australian selectors who dumped him for Damien Martyn - "Don't worry, I'll be back". Hodge was a shock casualty of Australia's old-look squad on Tuesday when he was axed two Tests after scoring a double-century against South Africa.

Trevor Hohns, the chairman of selectors, described Martyn's selection as a "judgment call" and the decision sent Hodge, who averaged 58 in five Tests, for a day of golf instead of packing. "When I got the message I was devastated," he told AAP. "I thought I'd performed quite well in the Test side when I initially got in. I worked really hard to get there and I don't feel that it has had its chance to finish."

Hodge, who toured India, New Zealand and England before getting his first Test cap, told the agency he would fight to get his spot back and was eyeing a return for the two-Test series against Bangladesh. "Once you've tasted it, you want to taste a little bit more," he said. "There's still plenty of fire in the belly."

The demotion means Hodge, whose wife Megan is expecting their first child next month, will consider a longer stint with the English county Lancashire to re-prove his capabilities. "Maybe the plans might have to change," he said.

Hodge's technique has been questioned against fast bowling, but he said Hohns did not say his method was a problem. "There was no nature of that," he said. Hodge failed to make a significant score against Queensland in the Pura Cup match last week and he will get another chance against Western Australia at St Kilda on Friday.