Wiseman dazzles in Canterbury win

Wellington 427 (Parlane 203, Ryder 66, Gillespie 52, Adams 4-93) lead Auckland 235 for 4 (Horne 88, Nicol 49, O'Brien 2-54) by 192 runs

Michael Parlane smashed his way to a maiden double-hundred as Wellington took control on the second day of the State Championship at Auckland. Parlane surpassed his previous highest score, 190 for New Zealand Academy against Bangladesh in 1998-99, and then reached the 200, the 98th in New Zealand first-class cricket and the 14th by a Wellington player, with two successive sixes. He hammered five sixes and 31 fours in all and helped Wellington reach 427. Mark Gillespie cracked 52 while Andre Adams ended with 4 for 93.

Auckland made a positive response and were 170 for 2 at one stage but lost two more before stumps. Matt Horne continued his run of good scores with 88 and Rob Nicol made 49. Iain O'Brien bowled especially effectively at the start of his spell and ended with 2 for 54.

Canterbury 346 and 400 for 6 dec (Stewart 149, Fulton 86, Stead 55, Hefford 2-46) lead Central Districts 281 and 52 for 2 by 413 runs

Canterbury's latent batting potential finally emerged at the Village Green today and Central Districts felt the wrath, and were struggling at stumps with another 415 runs required for victory on the final day.

Peter Fulton set the tone with a dashing 86 and though he took some time to settle, he soon unleashed some dazzling strokes in the still perfect batting conditions. He was finally dismissed by Brent Hefford, caught in the deep by Ewen Thompson.

Unlike in recent games, when the departure of the top-order batsmen triggered a collapse, the middle order played a vital role with Shanan Stewart, in his 22nd first-class match, achieving his maiden the first-class century. He also passed 1000 runs in first-class cricket before finally being dismissed for 149. Canterbury declared with a lead of 465 runs.

By stumps, with both openers back in the pavilion with 44 runs on the board, the CD batsmen were faced with an uphill task.

Otago 321 and 187 for 5 (Cumming 99*, Hopkins 42, Te Ahu Davis 2-32) lead Northern Districts 368 (Wilson 96, Devcich 94*, Scott 2-49) by 140 runs

Craig Cumming, the Otago captain, was unbeaten on 99 at the end of the day but Otago lead by only 140 runs with five wickets in hand. Trailing 47, Otago lost two wickets before they wiped off the deficit and a minor-collapsed followed. However, a 114-run stand for the fifth wicket between Cumming and Gareth Hopkins (42) revived them though there was still a long way to go before Otago get out of the woods.

Earlier, Northern Districts took advantage of James McMillan's absence after he injured a hamstring and was unable to bowl. The middle and lower-order batsmen prospered handsomely as Anton Devich steered them out of trouble with a steady 94. Devich, though, was left stranded at the end and became the second debutant, after Brad Wilson, to run out of partners in the 90s.