ICC awards 2012

Narine awarded best newcomer at ICC awards

ESPNcricinfo staff

September 15, 2012

Sunil Narine with the Emerging Cricketer of the Year award, Colombo, September 15, 2012
Narine follows West Indies legspinner Devendra Bishoo as a recipient of the Emerging Player award © Associated Press

West Indies' offspinner Sunil Narine has been named the Emerging Player of the Year for 2012 at the ICC Awards ceremony in Colombo. He saw off competition from New Zealand's Doug Bracewell, Sri Lanka's Dinesh Chandimal and Australia's James Pattinson to take the award.

Blessed with biting turn, a difficult knuckle-ball and a natural knack for guile, Narine, 24, has quickly become one of the world's most promising talents. In the assessment period (August 4, 2011, to August 6, 2012), Narine carved up New Zealand in two home Tests, taking 12 wickets at 25.66. In Twenty20s he took 7 wickets in five games at 18.28. He hit his best form in the 50-overs format though, where he took 28 wickets in 15 games at 18.82.

Narine follows West Indies legspinner Devendra Bishoo as a recipient of the Emerging Player award. "We've a good junior set-up so hopefully the awards keep coming for us," Narine said. "I would say this is just the start. As Emerging Player of the Year I know I am someone to look at, and hopefully I will continue to do well.

"I've enjoyed my first year in the West Indies team. I've worked hard and I've dedicated myself to the game. This makes me look at life and makes me want to dedicate myself more to the game and to improve. I dedicate this award to my father who kept pushing me."

Posted by   on (September 16, 2012, 15:36 GMT)

Congratulations to my boy Narine- bring home that world 20/20 trophy!

Posted by   on (September 16, 2012, 11:11 GMT)

Sunil Narine with the Emerging Cricketer of the year award !

t20 mat5 wkt 1 best 40/1 odi mat15 wkt 23 best 27/4 test mat4 wkt 13 best 72/4

Is IPL a ICC tournament? How come Narine gets an award and Amla, Ajmal gets none? They are not Bangladeshi players that they will be ignored. Waiting 4 Warner and co. to show him where he really stands....He is the most overrated player in the world other thn Rohit Sharma.

Posted by ac_Indian on (September 16, 2012, 4:11 GMT)

Congratulations Sunil... all the best for all your future matches (except against India :) )

Posted by Alexei on (September 16, 2012, 3:10 GMT)

This award is deserved. I think this award is for players that ARE coming through and is not yet established in the game but is a huge prospect for the future. Philander I feel has done much more and is somewhat established.. he should competing for Test player of the year

Posted by   on (September 16, 2012, 2:36 GMT)

the guy has played only against newzealand at home... n even against them no 5 wicket hauls i guess, n he is named emerging player, ridiculous

Posted by justshmad on (September 16, 2012, 0:49 GMT)

well said @Addy Khowaja,"I'm in bit of doubt, what is the criteria of these awards? do they count IPL performance in as well?"

Posted by   on (September 15, 2012, 22:29 GMT)

Congrats Mr Narine. well done. CONTINUE TO STAY FOCUS AND HUMBLE.The world is at your feet.Keep it up.

Posted by tonobwoy on (September 15, 2012, 21:44 GMT)

A deserved award to a fine young man. Congratulations Suniil you have made all West Indians happy with this achievement.. especially the people of Arima, your hometown.Congratulations to your dad, Shadeed Narine for his dedication to your love of the game.

Posted by JackTrez on (September 15, 2012, 20:58 GMT)

@ Front-Foot-Lunge: What were Swann's returns in that series? None of those pitches were turning anyway and Narine was playing his FIRST test. Give him a chance eh...

Posted by   on (September 15, 2012, 19:49 GMT)

Posted by Front-Foot-Lunge on (September 15, 2012, 16:29 GMT)

Narine? The bowler who got battered everywhere by England? Why does everyone else have such a hard time playing him?

Posted by johnathonjosephs on (September 15, 2012, 16:25 GMT)

Congrats to Narine, but I do feel Philander should have gotten the award. Then again, Philander did not really play too many ODI

Posted by anuani on (September 15, 2012, 16:09 GMT)

ALL the best Sunil for T20 WC.

Posted by sweetiepaper on (September 15, 2012, 15:30 GMT)

Well done Sunil Congratulations. Hope this is the start of many Great Things. Be wary of the pitfalls of your trade though. As a a spinner you have to be continuosly re-inventing yourself. Take note that the last recipient of the award can't even make the West Indies Team these days. All the same Congrats and all the best. Rock them in the World Cup!!!

Posted by   on (September 15, 2012, 15:09 GMT)

Congrats Bro ! Please get advise from Pietersen and Gayle. The last WI emerging player that was awarded ( Bishoo ) is without a contract and cannot even find a place in the 2nd WI eleven.

Make the dough whilst the T20 shine !!!!

Posted by   on (September 15, 2012, 15:02 GMT)

All the success that Narine has got was in IPL. Other than that his contribution in international cricket was not sufficient. On the other hand, James Pattinson made it huge in International cricket especially at test level. Do ICC give awards for performing in domestic games?

Posted by   on (September 15, 2012, 14:46 GMT)

Congrats Sunil! TT & WI are ever proud

Posted by khan_37 on (September 15, 2012, 14:43 GMT)

narine totally deserves it.......